ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Mascara Series Part 29: Lancome Hypnôse Drama Instant Full Body Volume Mascara Review & Photos

Lancome HYPNÔSE DRAMA Instant Full Body Volume Mascara in Excessive Black ($24.50)

The Claim: Hypnôse Drama creates full body, high-volume lashes in a single stroke. The full contact brush, with its S-shaped curve, grasps and loads lashes for a fanned out, eye-popping, full body fringe. It works magic on tiny lashes. Even dramatizes corner lashes other brushes miss—or worse, mess. Lancôme's luxurious new texturizing complex features highly saturated waxes and intense black pigments for maximum lash volume. The triple coating system with caring Pro-Vitamin B5 delivers a fluid and creamy application to quickly and easily build big, battable lashes.


The Packaging: I'm generally not too impressed by Lancome's non-limited edition packaging, but I do always appreciate the raised rose design they have on their mascara boxes ~ very pretty! The Hypnôse Drama tube is actually rather sexy - it curves and dips in all the right places, mimicking the S-curve of the brush housed within.


The Brush: Hypnôse Drama's brush is what suckered me into purchasing this mascara. As you know, I'm all about trying out new mascaras, and when a company releases a brush design that I haven't seen before, all hope is lost. In practice, the S-shaped curve design creates much the same effect that a curved wand does; the brush molds to fit the contour of your eye a little better and helps to give you lashes some extra lift. Unfortunately the bristles don't quite do it for me - they do indeed load the lashes with mascara as Lancome claims, but this comes in the form of depositing large blobs of mascara along my lashes and then not being able to work out the clumps or provide much definition.


The Formula: Based upon Hypnôse Drama's claim to be able to quickly build long, lush lashes I was expecting great things but was sorely disappointed. The formula is indeed intensely black, but that's pretty much the only positive that I can find. Hypnôse Drama has a very very wet, somewhat mousse-like formula that globs onto the mascara wand and then sort of sits on your lashes, forming unattractive clumps that are difficult to work out. The wetness means that should you blink while applying your mascara or for a good period of time afterwards, you'll end up with raccoon eyes. The formula flaked on me, smudged a little, and didn't hold a curl (although it did provide some nice lift thanks to the S-brush). I was able to achieve some decent length with this, and I will say the volume was nice, but I can't advocate purchasing a mascara that creates volume by gluing lashes together to create a spindy, spidery mess.




Here's a close-up of one eye so that you can see the messiness/clumpiness I'm talking about. I worked hard to create an even application and this was the result.

The Verdict: I really really wanted to love Lancome's Hypnôse Drama as it's not terribly priced, has a cool brush, and basically sounds like it would be the most amazing mascara ever, but it just wasn't meant to be. I know it actually doesn't look too terrible in the photos above, but in person it was messy and clumpy and just not the mascara for me! I have seen a bunch of rave reviews on this particular mascara so you may be able to make it work for you, but I definitely won't be going back to it until they improve the formula.

RATING: 2.5/5


RELATED POSTS:
Read Parts 1-28 of the Mascara Series here! I've also added a "Mascara Series" tab up top so you have easy access to it at all times!


 

20 comments:

Nicole said on August 13, 2009 at 10:50 AM

i will say it looks way better on you than it did on me, lol. it was so bad on me, and the clumpiness was just too much.

it's funny how some things work great for others... it looks fabulous on my mom. at least it doesn't feel like a total waste of money since she can take advantage of it.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Nicole does she love it then? It doesn't clump on her? I found this so difficult to use and really really messy, and I feel guilty for not liking it for some reason LOL.

Huda said on August 13, 2009 at 10:54 AM

ouch lemming killed XD

I'm not such an expert on mascara but that didn't look so great. I hate clumpy mascara and the ones that gave me spider-legs lashes D;

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Awww xisa it always makes me sad to kill a lemming. The reviews on this seem to be very mixed, with some people loving it and others absolutely hating it. Which makes me wonder what it is that makes this work so well for some and not so well for others.

I think maybe if I have more lashes to begin with this might have spread more easily and not been as clumpy/difficult to work with. I did really want to love it!

Kris said on August 13, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Any chance we might get to see the new Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes formula (Effet Extension) in the near future?

It's taking all I can to restrain myself from going straight out to buy it! :D

Miss Boom said on August 13, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I really recommend Lancome Difincils, the normal no frills one. Nothing else compares, IMHO :)

If you use an eyelash comb, it will help with the wet clumps.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Hey Kris!

If you promise to comment on the post, I can promise to have that up by Saturday morning at the latest! =D Have you tried the original formula?

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Miss Boom I'm much too lazy to use an eyelash comb =P. I rarely have issues with mascaras clumping on me, so I was really surprised that this one gave me such problems. I'll definitely check out Definicils though!

Christina said on August 13, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I've tried Definicils and Hypnose, the original, and they both smudged like crazy on me! Within an hour or so, I resemble a panda. Did this feel heavy once it dried since you said it was messy and clumpy (lol I don't have the patience to use an eyelash comb either)? Hate that feeling.

dαnnεεl said on August 13, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I think you will like the original Hypnose better. Because it's better than the Hypnose Drama one. The bristle is different and it get to my lashes good, and I usually put on 2 coats and it just makes my eyes pop. It's my HG mascara, I always stock up at Duty Free. ;) I just love it so so much!!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

LOL Christina! Panda eyes are the worst, especially when you're out in public.

Surprisingly enough, while the formula was pretty wet and heavy looking, it didn't feel too heavy once dry. One of its few redeeming qualities I guess!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Dannimag I'll have to give the original a try then. I remember hearing a lot of good things about it, and hoped that this one would be even better, but I guess not.

Miss Boom said on August 13, 2009 at 3:22 PM

No one should be forced to use an eyelash comb, especially early in the morning!

Anastasia said on August 13, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I liked the look of it until I saw the last picture. I agree, I hate mascaras that clump and glue your lashes together to make them thicker. That's not making them thicker, that's just giving you spikes.

If anyone has enough experience in applying mascara, it's you, Jen, so if you say it's difficult to work with I shall most certainly take your word for it!

Also, on the packaging... Yes, to me, it just looks like some kind of sex toy.

*Jen* said on August 13, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Miss Boom I'm so glad you agree with me! Not only do I not have the time/patience, but knowing how sleepy and bleary-eyed I am most mornings, I'd probably lose an eyeball in the process.

*Jen* said on August 13, 2009 at 4:36 PM

LOL Ana for some reason I'm just picturing myself with one GIANT mega-lash! I must be giddy from stress & exhaustion.

I'm not the best at applying mascara but I like to think that after having tried as many as I have, I know my way around a mascara wand. This one really gave me problems though.

No comment! ;)

Marce said on August 13, 2009 at 8:16 PM

Well that sucks! I actually had the same problem with Rimmel's Sexy Curves mascara, the first time I used it it was absolute crap. But the formula dried just a bit, and now I love it! I hope that you get better results with this one, specially since you paid a bit for it! :)

Kristin said on August 13, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Ah, I'm glad I read this review before I gave in to the hype as well. I, too, have been on the hunt for the perfect mascara for years. Lancome's curling mascara is in my top 10, so I was keeping an eye on this. I should have know it was not worthy when they over-hyped it so much on Sephora Facebook.
That much wetness bothers me, which is why I don't like Diorshow, even though other people rave about it.
Thanks for the info.

*Jen* said on August 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Marce I didn't really love Rimmel's Sexy Curves mascara - I found that it didn't do too much for me. Since you're saying it's better a little dried up, I may have to pull it out and give it another shot then!

*Jen* said on August 13, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Kristin I've tried that one and must admit that it was rather lovely, from what I can remember. The last few Lancome mascaras that I've tried have been disappointing though.


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!