Bourjois Liner Effect Mascara ($15)The Formula: Bourjois' Liner Effect mascara contains a kohl-enriched formula that's supposed to intensely lengthen your lashes while accentuating the roots to define the shape of the eye and create the effect of wearing liner--hence the name. Because of the kohl in the formula this mascara (at least in the Noir stylist shade) really is a true deep rich glossy black that emphasizes the contours of your upper and lower lash lines, and while it won't look like you're wearing heavy liner, it does give the look of your having liner under your upper lash line (for those of you who do this you know what I'm talking about).
I love that the formula is nearly clump free, and doesn't smudge or flake on me, even after a long long day, but because of the intense pigmentation I do find it a little messy to remove.
I love that the formula is nearly clump free, and doesn't smudge or flake on me, even after a long long day, but because of the intense pigmentation I do find it a little messy to remove.

The Brush: Bourjois' Liner Effect Mascara has an asymmetrical dual action brush that both lengthens the lashes and intensifies the roots. The ultra short bristles (the top end of the brush in my photo below) allow you to get directly under the roots of your lashes, creating that defined liner effect, and are actually also really great for applying mascara to the rest of your lashes. They create some decent definition although no real length--that's where the other half of the wand comes in. The longer bristles pull the mascara along the length of your lashes for a more dramatic look.
While the applicator is all-around pretty cool, I have had some issues with it, the main one being that I've nearly poked my eye out on several occasions! I tend to flutter my eyes a little while applying mascara, and when your eyes aren't all that large that can get dangerous with an applicator like this. If you flutter your eyes while using the stubby bristled-end on your upper lashes, the bottom half of the wand will stab your eyeball--let me tell you it's not pleasant!
My gripes with the applicator are primarily with the spiky end. I find myself wishing the bristles were spaced closer together so that I would get more definition and better length, since the awkward spacing makes for potential clumps and messiness. As for the stubbier end, I love it! It actually gives me lower lashes which is pretty amazing considering I really don't have any.

The Verdict: While this is an all-around good mascara it's not my holy grail by any means. Liner Effect gives above average length and really nice volume, but it doesn't give me that clean, defined look that I'm always looking for, nor does it hold a curl. However if you're into the doe-eyed wispy-lashed look (which I do some days) this is the mascara for you. Would I repurchase? Maybe just to use on my lower lashes and at the base of my upper lashes.
This mascara will be available at Ulta in February '09 so be sure to check it out! And if you can't wait, HSN currently sells two of these for $22.79 here.


RATING: 3.75/5 (no photo for that one!)

Related Posts:
Read Parts 1-13 of the Mascara Series here!
- Part 13: L'oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes Review
- Part 12: Kiss Me Heroine Make Volume & Curl Review
- Part 11: Max Factor Lash Perfection Review
- Part 10: Lancome Oscillation Mascara Review
- Part 9: Max Factor Volume Couture Mascara Review
- Part 8: Diorshow Iconic Mascara Review
- Part 7: Exceptionnel de Chanel Review
- Part 6: Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes Review
- Part 5: Shiseido Mascara Base Review
- Part 4: Chanel Inimitable Review
- Part 3: Diorshow Review
- Part 2: Yves Saint Laurent Everlong Review
- Part 1: Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Review


30 comments:
That does make your lashes look super long! My eyes aren't very big either, I'd probably end up poking my eye out, lol...I love how the color is very dark!
I didn't have very high expectations for this product. Any time a product claims to do something other than what it is generally intended to do, I get a little skeptical. However, it does give the illusion of wearing a little eyeliner. Thanks for the review. I was actually quite curious about this mascara and its claims.
Thank you so very much for this excellent review. Your lashes look beautiful, btw. It sounds like a nice mascara and I love the darkness of the pigment.
I really like this for when I want a "dramatic" lash look without falsies, since it gives pretty ludicrous length and the doe-eyed effect. I'd never use it with a soft neutral smokey eye or anything like that though, and it is pretty difficult to figure out the wand, not get the mascara everywhere and avoid taking an eye out XD
I've been thinking that Exceptionnel by Chanel can do the same eyeliner trick, with its short and long bristles. What do you think? I haven't tried Bourjois' Liner Effect mascara so I can't compare, LoL!
Aleksis it gives nice length but the ends are wispy as opposed to full and defined which isn't the look that I like to go for on a daily basis. But it still is really nice!
Doesn't it Deb? When I saw this pop up on HSN I was so intrigued by the name and wondered if it would actually make it look as though I was wearing any liner as well. Overall it's a pretty good mascara, and I do love the wand.
You're welcome birkinbagbeauty--glad you enjoyed it! And thank you! It's hard to find a super black mascara, and this one definitely qualifies.
Ana I'm still trying to learn how to avoid taking an eye out with this. It's definitely not something I reach for when I'm in a big rush =X.
Thepunkcat the Excptionnel does operate with a similar concept, but you can't get quite the same effect because the short end isn't nearly short enough to get so close to your undereye area. Either way you have my curious and I'll be trying to get as close to the base as possible with my Exceptionnel today, but judging from my experience I'd say it just wouldn't work the same =(.
Just imagine trying to put it on in a car, aha. I love the wispy-end look though, I like my lashes fanned out and feathery.
Ana I'm completely incapable of doing anything else while applying mascara--even chatting on the phone! It takes all my focus and concentration not to blind myself.
Wow, your lashes do look really long! Any mascara that doesn't clump or smudge sounds great to me. If I can remember, I will check this out once it's available at Ulta.
Nicole this doesn't really live up to many of our other fave mascaras but for $15 it's pretty good! Definitely play around with the brush if you have an Ulta near you. It's a fun mascara to add to your collection :)
Ever noticed how you automatically open your mouth when you're applying mascara?
Ana you don't even wanna see my mascara face--it's soooooo unattractive and stupid-looking lol!
As a gigantic klutz I don't think this is for me. I do love the effect on your eyelashes though. Very pretty!
Thanks Anoka! I can't use this on days when I'm in a rush because I just know I'll maim myself.
I'm wearing this now with today's look. I'm going to do a bunch of UK cosmetic posts over the next few days in light of the exchange rate shift, it's the perfect time for Americans to buy UK products.
I'll get on that... right when I'm done playing Spider Solitaire...
Sounds good Anastasia I'll be on the look-out for those! My recently revived Bejeweled addiction has been preventing me from blogging as much as I'd like.
Not trying to be annoying, but I find that if you wiggle the mascara close enough to the base, all mascaras will give the whole eye liner effect, right?? I do that all the time, and I have small oriental eyes.. :|
I was so tempted to buy this in boots just now, but i guess i will just give it a miss then :P
Anonymous you're not being annoying at all! This definitely isn't a super special mascara, but it serves its function. Yes most liners do give the liner effect, this just makes it a little easier because of the nubby end.
It's a decent price though so I do recommend checking it out!
erm, now i want it :'( It IS 2 pounds off..... :P :P
LOL you should go for it! Thanks so much for bringing me back to this post--looking at that eyeshadow I'm seriously wondering what I was wearing because I love the pink! :)
bought it.. don't really like it.. It definitely thickens my lashes, but no volume at all.. and i cant get the liner effect :( haha.. how i wish it is waterproof.. poked myself several times with the wand, and started to tear.. lol..
will practice some more on the mascara... do u have any hints/tips i could use?? thanks!! :D
I wore just one coat of this mascara and my friends commented on how looong my lashes looked.. I said that it looked a bit spidery like, and I was told off for demanding so much from a mascara :P lol
In any case, I wore this mascara yesterday while going out with a friend, then met up with my CRUSH!!! And it felt soo good to have clump free lashes, which looked natural... and there was this one time we looked each other in the eyes.. and... aaa.... I love this mascara!! lol..
Yes, it is THE mascara to wear on a first date with your long time crush :P gives you wonderful lashes without being too much :P
Sarahsamad sorry you don't like it! But yeah the poking in the eye thing--unfortunately with this mascara it seems to happen pretty often! I poke myself all the time.
The only thing I've found that helps is to make sure that I don't blink/twitch my eyes at all while applying. I start with the nubby end, apply mascara to my top lashes, then pull through with the longer end, then run through once again with the nubby end and I'm good!
LOL Sarahsamad at what your friend said! If someone else thinks it looks great, it must have looked really good!
Thanks so much for telling me about your day! It must've been so great to meet up with your crush while having fabulous-looking lashes--every little boost of confidence always helps!
So glad you've changed your mind about this mascara!
I bought this mascara, and when I first used it for the first couple of months, this was like my all-time favorite! I loved it!
But, when you apply it the bristles are sometimes really sharp and when you apply it from the roots it pokes around and it really hurts, sometimes when I poke my eyes, I start crying and my mascara is ruined! D: And it didn't give me as much volume but it did give me length, but its more of a simple kind of mascara then a very dramatic kind. (:
Anonymous I've had the same thing happen to me on many many occasions--this is one PAINFUL mascara to poke yourself in the eye with, but it seems to happen more often with this one than it does with others.
Post a Comment