Yves Saint Laurent Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils/Luxurious Mascara for a False Lash Effect ($27.50)Remember my "Which Eye?" post from late December? Well apparently I didn't since I totally forgot to review this mascara for you! I never did reveal which mascaras I was wearing that day, so here it is at last. On my left eye I'm wearing YSL's Faux Cils, and on my right I'm wearing YSL's Everlong. Wondering how the two compare? Read on to find out!
The Claim: Yves Saint Laurent's Mascara Volume Effet Faux Cils Luxurious Mascara achieves an intense, dramatic lash look in a single stroke, for lashes that stop traffic with the blink of an eye. Its secret is the Triple-Film Complex: a film-coating for intensity, a conditioning film for curve, and a fixing film for long-lasting effectiveness.
The Brush: Faux Cils' brush applicator combines nylon fibers of varying diameters which are meant to provide luxurious volume enhancement. While there's onthing particularly wrong with the applicator, I didn't find myself swooning over it the way I do over YSL's Everlong. It doesn't give me the lift, separation, and incredible definition that Everlong's nubby little bristles give me, though it definitely wins in the volumizing department.
The Formula: If you're looking for some pretty dramatic length and volume, Faux Cils may just be the mascara for you. YSL's best-selling mascara gave me some pretty voluptuous volume, but it comes at a price! Unlike my beloved Everlong which never, ever, ever clumps (not even after the tenth coat), Faux Cils begins to clump after the third coat or so. I do love the blackness of the formula though, and of course the great volume and length that I can get with this. It doesn't hold a curl, at least for me, but very few mascaras do for Asian lashes. As for flaking and smudging, I experienced none--a defnite improvement over the Everlong formula which smudges after an hour or so no matter what I do.


The Verdict: I'd been wanting to try YSL's Faux Cils for years, and so of course I'd hyped it up quite a bit in my head, which is why I may have been a little let down by how "really good" it was. I was expecting a fantastic, amazing, blow-my-mind with its fabulosity mascara, especially for $27.50, and while Faux Cils delivers on its promises of great lasting power and a dramatic effect, I'm just not wowed. It feels a little heavy, a little clumpy, and looks a little messy, so all in all I probably won't be repurchasing.
RATING: 3.75/5


Related Posts:
Read Parts 1-17 of the Mascara Series here! I've also added a "Mascara Series" tab up top so you have easy access to it at all times!
Read Parts 1-17 of the Mascara Series here! I've also added a "Mascara Series" tab up top so you have easy access to it at all times!
- Part 17: Maybelline Lash Stiletto Review
- Part 16: Maybelline Colossal Review
- Part 15: Hourglass Superficial Lash Review
- Part 14: Bourjois Liner Effect Review
- Part 13: L'oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes Review
- Part 12: Kiss Me Heroine Make Volume & Curl Review
- Part 11: Max Factor Lash Perfection Review
- Part 10: Lancome Oscillation Mascara Review
- Part 9: Max Factor Volume Couture Mascara Review
- Part 8: Diorshow Iconic Mascara Review
- Part 7: Exceptionnel de Chanel Review
- Part 6: Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes Review
- Part 5: Shiseido Mascara Base Review
- Part 4: Chanel Inimitable Review
- Part 3: Diorshow Review
- Part 2: Yves Saint Laurent Everlong Review
- Part 1: Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Review
- And see my cursory review of Guerlain's Le 2 de Guerlain Holiday Mascara here.

14 comments:
Between this mascara and the Givenchy one, I like this one better. I am not into the wispy look. I really prefer the falsies look.
It sounds like you apply 3 or more coats of mascara to your eyelashes from your reviews. Do you really put that much on? I think the most I have ever put on was three coats. After two coats, my eyelashes are bumping against my glasses, which can be annoying.
Deb for the reviews I always apply 2-3 coats of mascara, no more and no less. One coat of any mascara really doesn't do much for me, and I know most people wouldn't take the time to (or need to) apply more than 3 coats of mascara so it's usually 2-3.
Not sure if my previous comment get through, so I re-post it again, please delete one of them if it's duplicates.
Do you think any difference between high-end mascara and low-price mascara? Any *must* re-purchase mascara to ü ??
Your eyes look nice here... hehe~ :) I never seen you wear this color before, olive green/light green.
BT unfortunately it didn't--sorry! Blogger commenting can be glitchy sometimes--I know it's such a pain.
So I wouldn't say that there are necessarily any across-the-board differences between high and low end mascaras, since I've tried some horrible high-end mascaras and some wonderful low-end ones. I do tend to find that with drugstore mascaras there are more misses and fewer hits, but I can't really bad-mouth drugstore mascaras because there are some fabulous ones out there.
My must-have mascaras at the moment are:
DEPARTMENT STORE: YSL Everlong, Dior Iconic, Exceptionnel de Chanel, and Chanel Inimitable
DRUGSTORE: Max Factor Volume Couture
and for Japanese mascaras that are hard to come by in the US--Kiss Me Heroine Make's Volume & Curl (I think that's what it's called) is absolutely wonderful.
Hope that helps although I know it isn't a small list =X.
Aly I've been trying to branch away from all the pink that I swear. I've been discovering that deeper green tones work pretty well for me!
Thank you!
Thanks so müch for the detail reply. I'll pay more attention to the mascara of your favorite list.
BT happy I could be of some assistance! Let me know if you need anymore suggestions/details on the particular mascaras!
yay! you finally got to try it! i don't use it anymore, to be honest. i still prefer everlong, and the fact that it's so clumpy really irritates me. it's not a bad mascara, by any means, but there are several i prefer over it. your lashes do look pretty though. :)
nicole i definitely prefer everlong to this, although faux cils is pretty great for a very dramatic look. but on a daily basis it's just a bit much.
i love falsies look but if its clump then is a no way for me... somemore with the high price tag.. i dun think i'll go for it... but i think i'll try YSL Everlong
Syn@3sTh3sI@ a great affordable mascara is that new one by Max Factor--the 2000 Calorie variation that comes in the box with the Cover Girl LashBlast-like wand. It's a lot like this mascara, with a little less length but also much less clumping.
And yes Everlong is fabulous!
All, I have to say is: WOW! Check out that volume! I might give this a try. (:
Definitely do Anonymous! In a few days I'll be reviewing what I happen to think is YSL's cheaper younger sister. Be on the lookout for it! :)
Post a Comment