The Claim:
From Neiman Marcus: "Now, in a single stroke, CHANEL sets a new standard in mascara with a formula that does it all. A sophisticated formula and unique brush design combine to lengthen, plump and curl, delivering lush, long-wearing colour so precisely that each lash, even the finest, is perfectly defined and separated."
The wand: It seems like you're typical rubber bristled brush to me. It's great for preventing clumps and getting at most of your lashes, but nothing revolutionary here.
The formula: Chanel Inimitable has a relatively watery formula, at least compared to my YSL Everlong (read my review here). This isn't necessarily a bad thing, since my YSL seems to dry out within a ridiculously short amount of time, and it's not liquidy to the point that it's difficult to work with.
Overall I like the formula. It's a nice consistency and so won't dry out too quickly, it doesn't clump, it holds a curl really well, gives you decent length, and is almost smudge-proof. I wouldn't say it's holy grail material, but it's definitely very good.
The Good: My favorite thing about this mascara is that it holds a curl really well. I've tried a million mascara, and the only two that haven't immediately killed what minor curl my lashes have are the Majolica Majorca (see my review here) and Inimitable. Not that I'm saying this even compared to the Majolica in the curl department-can't even hold a candle to it! But it's decent.
The Bad: Even the waterproof version doesn't stay put perfectly on my eyes (which admittedly can get oily--how attractive!). And almost zero volume!
Price: $27.50
Conclusion: I like Inimitable a lot because I'm a sucker for anything that makes my lashes look even remotely curled, but for those of you who don't have stick straight lashes like I do there are definitely much better mascaras out there for the price! It's good for a natural yet enhanced look, but doesn't give me the full-on drama I would've liked.







20 comments:
I've tried Inimitable once and it gave my lashes a defined look, but not as much volume as I would have liked. Do you have a drugstore mascara that you like? I'm a sucker for mascaras that hold a curl too because most never hold the curl and my lashes are stick straight. :( Thanks!
Your lashes look great! I have Chanel Inimitable somewhere, but mine isn't the waterproof version. I didn't even know they had it in waterproof! To be honest, I haven't used it since the day I tried Diorshow... maybe I should find it, and see how they compare.
What eyeshadow(s) are you wearing in the 2nd picture? Very nice!
hey frosted!
so i actually haven't managed to find a drugstore mascara that holds a curl yet, although of all the drugstore ones i've tried, max factor's lash perfection is my favorite so far. IMO it's very comparable to high end mascaras but for a fraction of the price-it's definitely worth a try!
i've also been hearing good things about max factor's volume couture mascara--supposedly it holds a curl really well, so that's next on my list of mascara purchases :)
thanks nicole! i'm wearing the lumiere shadow in heiress in the photo. i did a blog post on the lumiere shadows here:
http://abeautyfulsentiment.blogspot.com/2008/04/lumiere-eyeshadows-review-and-swatches.html
i'm still so jealous diorshow works for you. i really think if my lashes were more substantial to begin with, it should be amazing :)
you should dig up your inimitable and put that $30 to good use! :)
I'll have to try those Max Factor mascaras then! Btw, I added a drop of water to my YSL Everlong and I'm letting it sit. I just noticed today that it seemed too dry. I'm not ready to throw away $30 of mascara lol. This is exactly why I get drugstore mascaras. :p
Let me know what you think of them!
Adding the drop of water to the YSL really does help. It's such a dry mascara to begin with that even if it dries out slightly it's pretty hard to actually get any on your lashes. Once the water's all absorbed by the mascara it should be good as new :)
hi hun! I (of course) have the waterproof Inimitable, but in Bronze. It does well on me, I don't have the problem of it coming off under my eyes or anything, then again mascara sticks to me rather well no matter what. I enjoy it, but if you want to know my holy grail mascara...
MAC Plushlash. Seriously! I have the perfect combo of length, thickness, curl and separation....and the way the brush is shaped (flat on the sides, means you have some leverage to do the wiggle thing near the base of your lashes and really get the mascara on there. Plus the tube is squishy so you can smoosh as much mascara on the brush as you can, as it starts to empty out! Then you use the regular rounded edges to pull the mascara through the rest of your lashes....repeat. It also makes me look like I have black eyeliner on when I don't...I love that. It's not waterproof but doesn't come off until I wipe it off with makeup remover.
for under 15 bucks, I'll take it!
hey candace!
thanks so much for visiting and congrats on your recent promotion-you're really amazing!!
unfortunately literally every mascara i own gives me some form of raccoon eyes-it's just a matter of how severe it is.
thanks so much for sharing your HG! i'd been really curious about plushlash back when it first came out because MAC mascaras are so affordable but had kinda forgotten all about it. i'll be stopping by a mac counter in the next week or so so i'll definitely be playing with this!
Hi, your eyelashes look really curled in the photo! Was that really all the work of the mascara, or did you also use a curler?
Diana for every mascara review I curl my lashes--so if they don't look curls it means that the mascara has killed any curl I had using the curler. Inimitable gives a little natural curl and lift, but it really works best when paired with a curler.
Hi!
Like you, I'm also depending on mascaras that hold the curl, instead of drooping the lashes down.
I've tried this recently, and I don't like it at all. It's weird! You said that this one was able to hold your curl, but it did just the opposite to my lashes.
Sadly, my lashes got weighed down with this on.
Aww Jess I'm so sorry you didn't like it! Was it the waterproof that you tried? I find that often the non-waterproof versions of mascaras don't hold a curl very well.
Hi again!
No, I tried the non-waterproof version of it, that I got as a sample.
Yeah, maybe I should from now on focus on waterproof mascaras! ;)
But I'm not sure, if there is any mascara that tops my hg - the SHISEIDO Lasting Lift Mascara. It would be great, if I discover even better ones, hehe...
Jess I don't know what it is in waterproof formulas that makes them hold a curl so much better than their non-waterproof equivalents, but regardless the waterproof always holds a much better curl! Which is a shame since waterproof is so much harder to remove =X.
I've never tried the Shiseido Lasting Lift mascara--I'll have to check that one out!
Yes, waterproof ones always are so hard to remove, but I'm kinda used to it, since the SHISEIDO LL Mascara is quite hard to remove. But, it's still worth using it, you know! ;)
I mean, this is the only one that really holds my lashes up, but when it comes to volume, this mascara lacks a bit, so I always combine it with the SHISEIDO Mascara Base.
Jess it's so tough to find a mascara that does it all--lengthens, curls, and volumizes without smudging or flaking--sometimes I'm tempted to create my own mascara so that I don't have to experiment with so many lol!
hey! do you curl your lashes in all the mascara reveiws? because if this is only the mascara doing the work, thats pretty good!
-helbomber
hey helbomber!
i actually always curl my lashes before applying the mascaras. most mascaras kill that curl, but there are those rare few that actually hold it. it's be awesome if i could get this kind of curl without a curler though!
Hey Jen!
I was on my way to chuck my Inimitable when I thought of YOU because it was through your recommendation that I bought it! lol Just wanted to tell you that this mascara is going up on my top 5 mascara loves. I also find that it doesn't do much in the volumizing department but it gets into every lash without clumping so the trick to getting it volumous is to do about 10 coats XD What other mascaras would you recommend Jen?
Hey Tammy!
So sorry for the delayed response, I've fallen waaaaaaay behind on comments as of late =X.
So glad to hear you loved this one! One of my current favorites is Fairy Drops - it holds an AMAZING curl, and if you comb it through with a great wand like the one on the Inimitable (not that I'm saying you should fish it out of the trash =P) it looks pretty fantastic.
Post a Comment