Dior 'Diorshow' Iconic Mascara (High Definition Lash Curler Mascara)-$27
Has a mascara ever called to you? No I'm not crazy--but this one definitely did!!
From the box: "Diorshow Iconic is the all-in-one tool for total lash perfection. Two Dior innovations join forces to reveal truly iconic eyes:
- the exclusive Oblique brush features soft silicone bristles specially designed to curl every lash,
- the Lift Model complex, inspired by the composition of hair sprays, features unique coating and setting properties for optimal hold."
The exclusive Oblique brush
The Packaging: I love the silver tube with the Dior logo etched around it--very chic. My one minor complaint was that, unlike my YSL mascaras, the tube doesn't snap into place when it's fully closed.
The Brush: The closely-spaced bristles remind me of my beloved YSL Everlong (review here) which is one of my favorites. Using my Everlong, I could literally apply 10 coats, achieve amazing length and never see a simple clump. Diorshow Iconic's Oblique brush does something similar. The bristles wrap around the brush at an angle, so that each lash is pulled and extended, plus the fact that they're close together means great definition and no clumping.
The Brush: The closely-spaced bristles remind me of my beloved YSL Everlong (review here) which is one of my favorites. Using my Everlong, I could literally apply 10 coats, achieve amazing length and never see a simple clump. Diorshow Iconic's Oblique brush does something similar. The bristles wrap around the brush at an angle, so that each lash is pulled and extended, plus the fact that they're close together means great definition and no clumping.
The Formula: A little wet for my taste, but not to the point that it's difficult to work with (think Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes which would never quite dry on me). I know this is touted as a curling mascara, and while it does create some natural curl, I can't say it does an amazing job locking in and holding my curl. However, it does provide amazing length, definition, and separation with only a coat or two. Additional coats make for pretty good volume, but if you get too heavy-handed it can get slightly clumpy. As for smudging, the longest I've worn this for is 15 hours, and at the end of the day I noticed the tiniest bit of smudging under the eyes, but not enough to bother me.
Verdict: Diorshow Iconic is a winner! Overall, I LOVE this mascara and for me its a drastic improvement on the original Diorshow, which I wasn't impressed with at all (partially because it irritated my eyes--but even i fit hadn't it didn't do much for me). If I had to compare the two, I'd say the Iconic gives better length, volume, and definition, since the original was just mediocre all around (for me--I know a lot of you love it!). Iconic is quickly becoming one of my favorite mascaras--go check it out for yourself!
RATING: 4.5/5


Related Posts:
Read Parts 1-7 of the Mascara Series here!
RATING: 4.5/5


Related Posts:
Read Parts 1-7 of the Mascara Series here!
- Part 7: Exceptionnel de Chanel Review
- Part 6: Givenchy Phenomen'Eyes Review
- Part 5: Shiseido Mascara Base Review
- Part 4: Chanel Inimitable Review
- Part 3: Diorshow Review
- Part 2: Yves Saint Laurent Everlong Review
- Part 1: Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Review

34 comments:
You tease! I can't wait for this!
LOL Nicole I just put it up! I tried to get it done earlier, but it looks like I got it when you probably already received yours =X I'll have to be faster next time!
I hope you like what you see =D
OMG, Jen! Absolutely stunning!!! I thought the Chanel one was my favorite on you, but this one definitely wins hands down out of all your mascaras (I just went back to check the Chanel one again, and I definitely see more volume with Dior). Your lashes look incredible, especially in the pictures with your eyes open.
You mentioned that your SO actually preferred the Chanel mascara over your others... what did he think about this one? I'm so impressed with it! It really exceeded my expectations based on your pictures. I really hope I have an equally great result from it when I try it on tonight.
Doesn't it look great on Nicole? Especially my right eye (so it's on the left in the photo), which for some reason has WAY more lashes then my left =X It's like the beauty gods are laughing at me =X
Unfortunately the day I was wearing this look I failed to demand that SO notice my make up and repeatedly asking him what he thinks and whether he notices a difference over a period of an hour or so LOL =D Meaning he didn't even notice! The next time I wear this I'll have to "ask" though =P
I was definitely impressed with this one. I figured it'd be good after seeing the brush, but I tried not to get too excited since the original Diorshow had disappointed me--but I LOVE!
I have read all of your posts and I have been faithfully following the mascara reviews. I too am obsessed with mascara, and have been wanting to buy an expensive brand to see if I like it. I have been following your reviews to help me pick which one to buy because I am a student and I don't have enough money to buy multiples. So my questions is, if you had to pick one, which would you buy. I think I have it narrowed down to the YSL Everlong and the Diorshow Iconic, but I wanted to hear your thoughts. I really am looking for length and staying put power. Also, have you ever tried Lancome's Defincils? If so, what do you think?
The results look quite impressive. Compared to some of the other photos in your other mascara posts, your lashes look much longer and very nicely separated.
hi blair!
thanks so much for being a faithful mascara series reader!! every time i wrote another one of these i wonder if anybody actually enjoys reading my mascara babblings, so comments like yours warm my heart!
your question is a tough one! honestly they're too really great mascaras, and even i have a tough time choosing between the two most mornings.
i'll break it down for you with pros and cons to help you decide though!
Everlong pros: amazing brush, never clumps, great length, dry-ish formula making for few mistakes and easy application, pleasant scent, attractive packaging
Cons: the non-waterproof version smudges on me, and it tends to dry out after a month or so
Iconic pros: great length and decent volume, doesn't smudge, great packaging, amazing brush
Cons: the formula is a tiny bit wet for my liking, and it can tend to clump if you apply too many coats
since you mentioned that you're a student on a budget, i'd say maybe you might prefer the iconic, simply because it'll probably last you longer. the everlong will dry out, probably causing you some aggravation, and so the iconic might be a better investment for you.
i'm not too big a fan of the lancome mascaras, including definicils, only because i've had trouble with clumping and spideriness in that department.
sorry for the super-long response, and i hope that helped!
thanks deb! i can always depend on you for an honest opinion! =)
i was comparing mascara photos from the rest of the series too, and i have to admit they're looking pretty good here =P
I doubt,,,if that would work on single eyelids eyelash ? You know how my lashes doesn't curl up all the way and stay that way..But !! Kissme Heroine has been really behave. It's been working so good. I will sure have to post it on this weekend. It's been hectic since my school started =/ I guess Diorshow Iconic is your favorite number one mascar now ? :D Looks really really good. Long and Volume !
O-M-G...your eyelashes look SUPER long and thick! I am definitely going to try this one out...how do you apply your mascara? i feel like I'm not doing something right...my lashes look clumpy -_-
thanks so much for replying! you must be so busy going to law school. hang in there! I also left u a comment on my page =)
Have a good night ^^
digital angel i'm not sure how this would work on those with single eyelids. my eyelids are barely double-lidded (my crease is tiny) and this works well for me so maybe it would work? i'm not sure how mascara works on single lids which is why i can't conceptualize whether something would be good or not =X
i was checking out kissme heroine this weekend because i remembered your telling me you liked it, but i'm waiting for your review before making a decision on it. you know i love to try new mascaras!
i'm not sure if iconic mascara is my favorite just yet, but it's definitely up there!
k_an that's so funny i just got back from visiting your blog to find that you left me a comment on mine!
i actually just graduated from law school (thank goodness!!) and took the bar, so grad school is a thing of the past for me. i feel like i can breathe now!
i don't apply my mascara in any particular way. i basically just wiggle the brush until it's at the very root of my lashes, and then work my way upwards. i do this in sections, making sure to capture those pesky inner lashes, and if the mascara starts to look clumpy i wiggle the wand back and forth while pulling upwards to help work out the clumps.
don't worry, my lashes look clumpy a lot of the time too! mainly because i'm much too lazy to use a lash comb =D
Ooh, this looks good!
You are like the mascara queen.
I didn't like DiorShow either :/ I might skip the Givenchy one and get this...
Thank you for the review and pictures.
Have you tried L'Oreal's Telescopic Mascara? It's good for lifting and curling your lashes a bit, and I can get mine to give me pretty good volume and length, but the lashes droop after a while and lose their curl...
My Major-whatever (stupid name!) mascara STILL hasn't arrived =[
Kayvid: Hi Jen, I'm amazed by the pics. Your lashes look 10 times their original lenght and volume. WOW!
Have you ever tried any drugstore brands of mascara? Because I have been in love with the non-waterproof CG Lashblat forever now. I seriously love that mascara. I also like the Maybelline Colossal Volume Mascara. Lemme know if you have tried either or whether you are opposed to trying drugstore maascara.
I am so tempted to tryout the diorshow iconic now...all your fault :-P
Mascara Queen--I like that Julie! =P It turns my addiction from a disease into something royal lol =D
I'd say that I much prefer this to the Givenchy. I love the Givenchy brush, but the formula needs a little work, whereas Iconic is pretty wonderful all around.
hey anastasia! <3
i haven't tried telescopic. i've been tempted to so many times (i like the way the tube looks), but i've heard such mixed reviews on it that i've never been able to give in to temptation, which is rather silly i guess since drugstore mascaras are much more affordable than department store ones, and therefore i really should experiment more to see if there are any i love so i can save myself some money!
does telescopic clump at all? i have MAJOR issues with clumping and HATE mascaras that clump with a passion. clumping and spidery lashes are my two mascara pet peeves.
i can't believe you mascara still isn't here yet!! did you order from sasa? it's been FOREVER =X boooo for whoever shipped it!
I've recently tested this and it is much more user-friendly compared to the original Diorshow, especially for short Asian lashes like mine >.<
Thanks Divya! I can never objectively assess how mascaras look in my photos until 24 hours or s later because I spend too much time looking at them while cropping, but seeing them again today I have to admit they look really good too! =D
I've tried a bunch of different drugstore mascaras, and I've found some really good ones (I'll be reviewing a Max Factor one next Monday) but nothing I LOVE or would repurchase. Unfortunately CG's Lashblast, while good, wasn't exceptional on me. I'm thinking the Diorshow-like big brushes just don't work for me for some reason =X
I haven't tried Colossal yet though, and I've been dying to! I touch it every time I pass it at the supermarket (I love the neon tube!) but because I have so many mascaras I've been trying to make myself wait.
You should definitely try out Iconic! Although if you have a mascara that works really well for you there's no need for change =)
BTW have you received your Givenchy from Strawberry yet? I've been stalking my mailman but nothing yet =X
connie i totally agree that diorshow iconic is very user-friendly for all eye shapes, even my small-ish asian eyes!
Kayvid: No, I haven't received my Givenchy either! And I was bad and bought another item by the time Givenchy comes. I got Sugar Cosmetics Baked Blush in Gingerbread. It is Superb! Just look at it on your next Ulta/Sephora visit.
Divya I just popped over to the Sephora site to check it out, and it's so pretty! I absolutely love baked blushes, and am feeling the need for a few more =P I was thinking of going the Clio route since I loved the one blush of theirs I tried, but I may have to try domestic so I don't have to wait AGES for my package to ship in from Asia!
Kayvid(MUA): Hi! I have #2 and #4 from Clio. I love them both. But the Gingerbread one is a totally different color. Like non I've seen before. But I dont know if you would like it, it would need a very light hand for someone as light complexioned as you.
Divya do you have a preference betwen 2 and 4? I'm thinking I might need #4, but if #2 is nicer I may not bother.
I do have trouble with some blushes looking clownish on me, so I'll definitely have to check the Gingerbread out in person to see if it's a manageable look for me.
I've never paid much attention to Sugar cosmetics before, so thanks for telling me about this!
Kayvid: No Problem. I too never cared for Sugar before but the other day I was swatching everything in sight when I was in Ulta and fell in love with this one.
I will go home and check again and tell you which I prefer better, #2 or #4. You already have #2, right?
I had the #2 but I actually gave it to somebody special I knew had been wanting to try it since after swatching it it just sat there, but now I'm thinking I miss it LOL so I'm debating whether to repurchase the #2 or to just go for the #4 =D
That's crazy! You look like you're wearing false lashes!!
Right Aleksis?? SO actually commented yesterday that my lashes have been looking longer and longer lately! =P I love those kinds of comments LOL!
your lashes are so great!
i have problems with mine, becouse are long but very straight, so i need a mascara that bring to me volume and prolong curl .
1. What mascara do you think it's better for this concepts?
2. what is your favorite mascara?
Thanks Fran!
Hmmm something for volume and curl. The volume part is rather easy--it's the curl part that makes it tough! To be honest your best bet is using more than one mascara, but I know that people don't like to do this.
I like YSL Everlong in waterproof for both volume and holding a curl, but it smudges on my oily undereyes so may not be for you. I've also heard Max Factor's Volume Couture in the waterproof hold a nice curl but haven't tried it myself.
Chanel's Inimitable holds a beautiful curl but it doesn't volumize a huge amount--but it is wonderful.
Maybe Exceptionnel de Chanel will work for you. It doesn't hold much of a curl for me but it does give really really nice volume.
My favorite mascara is YSL's Everlong in waterproof and Heroine Kiss Me Volume & Curl mascara--which contrary to the name gives really nice curl but not a huge amount of volume.
To be honest your best bet may just be to purchase Shiseido's Mascara Base--it thickens your lashes nicely, holds a curl all day and is seriously pretty great, albeit a HUGE pain in the butt to remove.
I have this and really love it! Noticeable difference unlike some other mascaras I have used. They have this in waterproof now I believe?
Nicolle they did indeed. I've been wanting to check out the waterproof to see if it holds a curl better than the non-waterproof version.
Jen,
THANK YOU.
I've been searching for a *mascara* blogger for sooo long. I stumbled across your page and I couldn't believe it, a mascara fanatic , who reviewed the most popular mascaras!
Okay I bet I sound like im overreacting but I cannot thank you enough for all your reviews. I've read all of them already.
Thank you so much for being a mascara junkie=)and blogging about it too!
Hey Anonymous!
Awww thank you so much for your sweet comment! I haven't made any additions to the mascara series in waaaay too long (partially because I've just been too lazy to review many of the new mascaras I've tried lately) but I promise to have more additions coming soon!
Post a Comment