ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Mascara Series Part 15: Hourglass Superficial Lash Volumizing and Lengthening Mascara Review and Photos

Hourglass Superficial Lash Volumizing + Lengthening Mascara ($26)
What it is:
A lengthening, volumizing mascara. Hourglass Superficial Lash creates thick, long, and lustrous-looking lashes to highlight the depth and intensity of the eyes. The enclosed brush applicator sculpts with precision and separation, coating lashes in weightless volume and sheen that accentuates and defines the lashes with a remarkably hydrating, color-rich formula. Enriched with vitamin E, this ultra-hydrating formula seals in moisture to keep lashes soft and prevent breakage.


The Brush: While the Hourglass Superficial brush is nothing particularly special, I've recently been rediscovering the beauty of a simple mascara applicator. Yes I love my silicone applicators for the clean defined look they can give me, but sometimes a good traditional applicator is all it takes. The Superficial brush is slim and tapered at the end, making for easy application, particularly for those of us with smaller eyes. I can successfully coat each and every lash in weightless color in a few quick strokes.

Hourglass Superficial Mascara in Sepia

The Formula: I picked this up in the Sepia shade for a change of pace, and sadly I'm not all that crazy about it, but other than that one small fact this is a pretty great mascara. It does a rather fabulous job of lengthening and volumizing, and since the formula feels light and almost whipped, your lashes won't feel weighed down after that third (or tenth) coat of mascara. The formula is smudge and flake free, never clumps, stays comfortably put on your lashes all day (no irritation with this one!), yet is easy to remove at the end of the day. Definitely check this out the next time you're near an Hourglass display, I was very impressed considering I haven't tried many Hourglass products before.




The Verdict: While I love almost everything about this mascara, from the sleek tube to the klutz-friendly brush and foolproof formula, I do wish that it held a curl. Nonetheless I'll probably repurchase at some point in the black since I'm not too sure how I feel about the sepia.

RATING: 4.25/5 (it's not quite a 4.5 but 4 doesn't seem right either lol)


Related Posts:
Read Parts 1-14 of the Mascara Series here!

 

28 comments:

Pixel said on December 4, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Wowww! I love how that sepia looks on your lashes!

Anonymous said on December 4, 2008 at 6:52 PM

That's a lot of mascaras!

Mm, the sepia is a weird colour :/ Black might be nicer. Sepia? Seriously. First time I've heard of it in mascara colour form!

Anonymous said on December 4, 2008 at 7:20 PM

that looks great! too bad it doesn't hold a curl. i have such stubborn lashes.

*Jen* said on December 4, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Thanks Stargirl! It's definitely different although I'm not so sure if it's a different good =X.

*Jen* said on December 4, 2008 at 9:26 PM

Julie I've amassed quite a few mascara reviews during the few short months that I've been blogging--it's a little crazy!

I definitely want to try the black at some point to see how I feel about it.

*Jen* said on December 4, 2008 at 9:27 PM

Frosty I know you feel my curl-resistant lash pain! All in all it's a great mascara though.

Anonymous said on December 4, 2008 at 10:06 PM

The length and volume looks good, but I am not crazy about the color. It think it would better in black.

I've tried other colors of mascara and never seem to like them as much as I like black.

Anonymous said on December 4, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Where can you get Hourglass products?

*Jen* said on December 4, 2008 at 11:01 PM

Deb I could never really get into the whole colored-mascaras trend myself. I know blue mascaras are supposed to make the whites of your eyes look whiter and what not, but on me they all just look a little odd. I'll probably be sticking to basic black from now on!

*Jen* said on December 4, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Hi Anonymous!

The only place that I currently know of that carries Hourglass products is Sephora. It's available through their website as well as at many of their store locations.

Anonymous said on December 5, 2008 at 8:45 AM

You know, I've never tried any colored mascaras. I always just go with black. While I do think this color looks nice on you, I think it would look even better in black. Your lashes look really pretty.

Anonymous said on December 5, 2008 at 12:47 PM

Kayvid: Hey! I agree that you need the black one. Somehow the sepia makes the eyelashes look...ummm...weird? I dont know.

BTW since you turned me on to interesting hair accessory thingies, I have a new one I'm interested in but am really putting off buying this due to the exorbitant shipping costs. Tell me what you think:

http://www.ezcombs.com/?directLoad&uid=D13A3FB48E743436F30A719F92D61E66

Anastasia said on December 5, 2008 at 1:08 PM

Mm, I bought that Rimmel Sexy Curves mascara for you today, and when I got it home I realised it was in brown/black, so I was going to take it back and swap it. Since I was gonna take it back, I figured I might as well test it first!

I'm not impressed. If you don't like the wispy-ended look that the Bourjois one gives, you've gonna hate this. It gives pretty good length (not as good as the bourjois one, though) and seems to hold curl well, but it's really, really thin and wispy, and because of the shape like, it kinda misses a chunk out in the middle? I took a picture of my lashes with it, anyway.

Since I have to return this colour anyway, is there a different one you know of that you'd like instead? I don't think you're gonna be a fan ;x

*Jen* said on December 5, 2008 at 3:54 PM

Awww thank you Nicole! I definitely agree that this would probably look better in black. You know I love my mascaras but I'd just never been that tempted by Hourglass products until I played with this one at the store--I was so surprised by how great it was!

*Jen* said on December 5, 2008 at 3:56 PM

Kayvid I feel like the sepia makes me look a little sickly for some reason--maybe it's the hint of red or yellowy-ness?

I've seen a commercial for that before I think! It's definitely pretty cool although I'd be hard-put to think of when I would wear it. But then again I'm super lazy when it comes to my hair!

*Jen* said on December 5, 2008 at 3:58 PM

Awww booo Ana it sucks that it's not that great! But you're the sweetest person in the world for picking it up for me! How well did it hold a curl?

There aren't any others that I've been wanting to try although that's mainly because I don't know much about them. Since you told me that Rimmel invented mascaras, maybe you'll know--do they have any great msacaras that I need to try? I've always played with them at the supermarket (some of them have pink wands lol and you know how I am) but never actually tried one!

Anastasia said on December 5, 2008 at 4:35 PM

Tbh, I've hated every Rimmel mascara I've ever tried; which explains my surprise when I discovered they invented it.

I did this once on my lashes (with like, 10 coats) and photographed it, and then, to be fair went and had a second whack at it to try and make it better, with only-slightly-improved results. You can see it here http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s268/AnastasiaTallis/Rimmelsucks.jpg

Other than a little lift, I think it looks like I'm not even wearing mascara. MUCH wispier than Bourjois.

They've ALL got new mascaras out at the moment, I'll have to play and see if any leap out at me as amazing. I like the look of the L'Oreal one but that'd be too big for you, but if you don't like the Rimmel I'll see what's what and see what I can find ;x

It's only part of the package anyway, I am assembling boxes :]

Oh btw, I wore just the Underage lipglass from the coral set today and it went perfectly with my look, I love it! It's so nice to have the perfect nude lipgloss instead of having to mix a ton.

Anastasia said on December 5, 2008 at 5:06 PM

I posted a full review of it over on my blog for you, so you can make your own mind up. As I was googling for a product image, I found out there's a promotion to get a free full-size sample! Grr (UK only), so I'll be taking this one back anyway, and you can have the freebie as well if you want, aha.

*Jen* said on December 5, 2008 at 10:05 PM

Ana it seriously looks like you're not wearing any mascara at all. What a stinky mascara!

The Bourjois definitely looks sooo much better on you. You're the best for testing the mascara out for me! <3

Underage was so pretty when I swatched it at the counter--I've heard it's a really great nude. I may need to get it for myself at some point, although I have a million nude lippies at this point lol.

*Jen* said on December 5, 2008 at 10:07 PM

Thanks so much for the review Ana I loved it! That brush is still just so darn cute lol--even knowing it's a crappy mascara I'm almost suckered into wanting it for the brush alone.

I clicked that link you posted in your blog and saw that it was UK only and of course was all :(. Nobody loves the Americans!

Phyrra said on December 6, 2008 at 12:58 AM

Your lashes look really nice, even if you don't like the color. Though I would agree, sepia seems a bit odd for mascara :P

*Jen* said on December 6, 2008 at 8:49 AM

Phyrra I blame the boyfriend--he told me to get it! lol but when i got home and actually got around to doing a full application it was a little odd.

Syn@3sTh3sI@ said on March 11, 2009 at 4:02 AM

i do feel sepia will look a bit weird on me hahahaha... n look sparse if i don't use black. but i like the sepia on u and tis mascara looks decent.. how much does it cost anyway ?

*Jen* said on March 11, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Syn@3sTh3sI@ this runs $26 and it was really a beautiful mascara. I was pleasantly surprised by Hourglass!

Anonymous said on April 15, 2009 at 4:27 AM

I think brown (sepia) mascara really brings out your eyes! It looks gorgeous! (:

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on April 15, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Thank you Anonymous! The color of the mascara makes me wish that my eyes were that shade so they'd match lol. It's a pretty shade of sepia!

christi_jacoba said on September 26, 2009 at 5:42 AM

looks really nice on you that colour brown!!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 27, 2009 at 8:17 PM

christihippekip i've tried a lot of mascaras but this one is up there amongst the best!


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!