ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Mascara Series Part 9: Max Factor Volume Couture High Volume and Definition Mascara Review and Photos

Photobucket
Max Factor Lash Perfection Volume Couture High Volume & Definition Mascara ($7.49 give or take a few dollars)

This installment of the Mascara Series is extra special because Brittany from Clumps of Mascara and I are both reviewing the same mascara on the same day! It's always great to encounter a fellow mascara addict, and B definitely fits the mold (plus she's incredibly sweet). Hop on over to her blog to check out her review (and all her other great Mascara Monday posts!). Thanks so much for suggesting we do this! <3 style="font-weight: bold;">The Packaging: While I'm a huge fan of department store mascaras (okay so I'm a little bit of a beauty snob), the one thing I do love about drugstore mascaras is that you can usually get a good look at what the brush looks like clean before purchasing. This mascara immediately called to me--how can I resist a hot pink brush?!

Photobucket

The Brush: The packaging says that the applicator has a "unique brush structure with micro-channels to volumize each lash." So how do these micro-channels work out in practice? Pretty well ! The bristles, which are admittedly a little spiky (I poked myself in the eye with them a good number of times) provide amazing length and separation and good volume.

The Formula: I absolutely love the formula! It doesn't smudge, flake, or clump even after a million or so layers, and looks good even after a night of tossing and turning (I promise I only slept in it once). I do wish that this mascara held a curl better, but that'd be expecting too much!

Verdict: Overall this is a lovely mascara, especially at this price-point! It certainly overshadows most department store mascaras that I've tried and is a bargain at under $10. For me it's the ideal everyday mascara--not too crazy but dramatic enough that my eyes still pop. Definitely check this out for yourself!

On a side note, I'll be reviewing another Max Factor mascara at some point, so stay tuned for that!

BEFORE:
Photobucket

AFTER:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Have you tried Max Factor mascaras? What's your favorite?

 

30 comments:

Anonymous said on September 1, 2008 at 6:37 AM

ahhhhhhhh i love max factor mascaras!!! i hope the one your reviewing next is 2000calrios :D heheh :D

and pink brush looks sooooooooo pretty!!! it suddenly reminds me of your monkey, i dunno why though hehe. maybe cos its pink and looks palm tree ish? LOL :D

and gahhh, your eyelashes look pretty to begin with :( :D

Anastasia said on September 1, 2008 at 8:52 AM

Have you tried MaxFactor's Masterpiece mascara? I keep reading places that think it's wonderful, but I'm sure I tried it myself and wasn't that impressed (I can't even remember).

*Jen* said on September 1, 2008 at 10:12 AM

hi helly!

unfortunately it's not going to be 2000 calories, although i do hope to review that one soon! it's another rubber bristled one though!

awww pink monkey is just happy to be remembered =P he's been abandoned somewhere on my dresser since the giveaway and is lost in messy cosmetics world!

helly i posted one of my before-mascara photos up above for you so you can see that my eyelashes stink to begin with! they're so puny and straight, and i have so few of them.

i've finally figured out that the reason a lot of mascaras clump on me is that i only have like 5 eyelashes =X

*Jen* said on September 1, 2008 at 10:14 AM

Anastasis I haven't tried that one yet! There're always so many mascaras calling to me from the Max Factor display that it's hard to chose =X

I love having the blog because it's fun to encounter wonderful people like you, but it's always a great way for me to keep track of things! If I forget something I just search it and there it is lol!

B said on September 1, 2008 at 3:45 PM

Jen, I love it on you! And I'm glad that we booooth loved it. It is seriously a staple for me. This was fun! We must do it again!

Anonymous said on September 1, 2008 at 7:30 PM

I think I need this mascara based only on the fact that the brush is hot pink! I love it!

I don't know why I have yet to try Max Factor mascaras, but I've only heard great things about this one and the 2000 calorie one.

I have to say... your eyelashes do look pretty amazing, especially b/c this is a drugstore mascara. You're right... it definitely overshadows *most* department stores mascaras. The majority of them don't even look half as good as this!

I think I may need to get this after my ban is over... you convinced me when you said that it didn't smudge, flake, clump, and still looked good after sleeping in it! I fell asleep by accident with my Everlong (waterproof) the other other night, and I woke up to raccoon eyes. :(

Great review, thanks!

*Jen* said on September 1, 2008 at 8:45 PM

Thanks B!

BTW I absolutely LOVED your video! And of course it didn't hurt that you mentioned me in it, which I thought was super-cool (and SO thought I was a HUGE loser for thinking that lol).

We definitely need to do this again!

*Jen* said on September 1, 2008 at 8:53 PM

Nicole the hot pink brush did me in too! =P

I remember wearing 2000 calorie waaaay back when i was in 7th grade or so, and then i didn't touch another max factor product until a few month ago! i guess i can thank my department store makeup infatuation for that--i just haven't had the time or money to pay that much attention to department store makeup! but max factor mascaras really are great, especially for the price!

usually when i fall asleep with mascara on, i wake up with 3 giant eyelashes because they've all stuck together lol!

Anonymous said on September 2, 2008 at 3:47 AM

Ahhh, I envy your lashes, Jen!!

LOL, I was taken back by the picture of the brush. It looks weird but it looks like it works! :D

*Jen* said on September 2, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Julie if I can get my puny, sad, pathetic little lashes to look this decent anybody can with the right mascara! Seriously--my lashes are pitiful without mascara and completely disappear!

The brush is a tiny bit scary. Every time I use it I manage to poke myself in the eye at least once while attempting to apply mascara close to the root, and it hurts like the dickens!! The spikes are sharp (as you can see in the photo) so it's not too much fun to be poked in the eye by them.

Anastasia said on September 2, 2008 at 12:14 PM

=[ I don't think my Majolica Majorca Lash Expander Mascara is ever going to get here, Jen. I got it on eBay from a seller with huge feedback, but I think it's gone astray - I've asked them FOUR times now to confirm the address they sent it to, and they won't. =/

Oh well, I'll have rubbishy lashes :[

Anonymous said on September 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM

Kayvid: Wow! This mascara looks amazing! I tried 2000 cal after I heard raves but it was a big flop for me. Not many mascaras can make me happy after lashblast and colossal.
BTW I received my Givenchy. I like it but it's nothing like what I had expected. Did you get yours yet?

Digital Angel said on September 2, 2008 at 1:47 PM

Does it last pretty long ? I went to walmart long time ago to find this item and they didn't have it. I might go back there and check again. I wonder if this works alright for my single-eyelids lol you know how it is...

*Jen* said on September 2, 2008 at 9:17 PM

Awww Anastasia that stinks!!! I don't understand why they're being so difficult though with a perfectly reasonably request--it's not like it'd be that much of an inconvenience to them to just confirm the address!

I would've referred you to the website that I purchased it from, but honestly I can't remember where I got it! I've tried to re-find the site through google with no luck =X

I'm sure you have very nice lashes to begin with though!

*Jen* said on September 2, 2008 at 9:20 PM

Thanks Divya! I've heard mixed reviews on the 2000 cal--some absolutely LOVE it, and some seem to dislike it with a passion so I haven't invested in it yet.

I still haven't gotten my Givenchy yet! I checked the tracking and it's been at my post arrive since the 29th, but I it hasn't been delivered to my home nor have I received a pick-up notice. Hopefully it arrived today while I was out =X. Is it not that great? I'm sure I'll like it regardless because it's pretty! =P

*Jen* said on September 2, 2008 at 9:25 PM

Digital Angel this lasts a really long time on me--longer than almost any other mascara without "changing" on me--you know, drooping, sagging, smudging, etc.

The waterproof might work better for you though--the asian people I've talked to who use this have said the waterproof holds a curl really well all day and lasts and lasts!

Anonymous said on September 3, 2008 at 8:45 AM

ahhhhhhhhh, you did that for me?? thank youuuuuuuuuuu!!!! hahhaha
and your eyelashes dont' STINK! to begin with!! different yes, sparse, maybe a little, but they're still longggggggg, and they have life!!! lol XD you should see my mums lashes. it literally looks like someone cut it while she was sleeping :(

good thing i didnt inherit them :P hehe

and WOWW. is all i could say. WOWW TO YOUR LASHESSSSSSS!!! i just want to steal themmmmmm~~, they look so separated, and so lush so FULL!! and they behavee!! lol lately my eyelashes seem to dance and 'tangle'. not pretty. :( boooo

and yayy i was first XD lol

*Jen* said on September 3, 2008 at 11:12 AM

helly-anything for you lol <3

awww they're not all that long. they stick straight out, and they're not short stumps but definitely not long! and have you checked out my lower lashes? where'd they go? =(

LOL at your mom's lashes--that's hysterical!

some mascaras make my lashes criss cross and tangle like crazy--it drives me nuts because they look so messy after a few coats, but thankfully this mascara straightens everything out and gifts me beautiful length and separation!

i just got colossal mascara so more affordable options to come soon!

kko said on December 19, 2008 at 9:41 AM

Hi Jen!

I completely agree with you about Max Factor's Volume couture mascara =)
Have you ever tried any of MAC's mascaras?

*Jen* said on December 19, 2008 at 10:06 AM

k_an i've tried mac's plushlash (i think that's the one--i'm not 100% at the moment) and unfortunately i just wasn't a fan. they're great in the price department, but i haven't been crazy imrpessed with them.

kko said on December 20, 2008 at 12:31 PM

plushlash is exactly what i was thinking of getting! but i'll trust you on this one..if it didn't wow you i don't think i'll get it!

Have a wonderful weekend! ^^

*Jen* said on December 21, 2008 at 7:43 PM

k_an i know a ton of people who swear by plushlash and absolutely love it so it can't hurt to try it, although i just didn't like it much. it was ridiculously messy to use because the wand is HUGE, and while it get me nice length and volume, this max factor was a million times better for me.

ezz. said on May 31, 2009 at 6:31 PM

i love your reviews! being asain, i have a lot of trouble finding the right mascara. i used to believe every word of the mascara commercials until i actually tried it and got dissapointed a number of times. some mascaras that work beautifully on caucasian women with nice lushcious lashes tend to make my stringy lashes droop, but thanks to your mascara reviews now i know how to choose wisely when it comes to mascara (:

*Jen* said on May 31, 2009 at 7:11 PM

ezz i definitely feel your pain--a lot of mascaras are AMAZING if you have decently full, long lashes to begin with, but if you're starting out with wimpy lashes like mine, they're terrible and do nothing.

if you don't use waterproof mascaras already, definitely check them out. they're amazing for holding a curl in asian lashes, which is a tough feat for most mascaras!

ezz said on May 31, 2009 at 7:18 PM

yeah, i have used covergirl's lash exact in waterproof, and it held my curl fine. but everytime i removed it, it took some of my precious lashes along with it! do you have any suggestions for lash-growth products that work and are affordable?

*Jen* said on May 31, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Ezz unfortunately I haven't had much luck with eyelash growth products, and the ones that I've heard good things about are WAAAY too expensive.

ezz said on May 31, 2009 at 10:14 PM

awhh.
well i was just browsing online and saw some youtube reviews about the Talika Lipocils. it's a bit pricy but the users say it works... it's suppossed to be this gel-like formula that you use for about a month.

*Jen* said on June 1, 2009 at 11:23 AM

ezz i was thinking about mentioning that one but haven't tried it myself and it's been hit or miss for the people i know who've tried it. some people love it and rave about it, whereas others say it didn't do much of anything for them. but at under $50, it's definitely worth a shot :)

Whitley said on July 19, 2009 at 10:20 PM

I have been looking for a new mascara and this review has convinced me to try this one out. Thank you for the awesome review.

*Jen* said on July 20, 2009 at 10:18 AM

You're very welcome Whitley! Max Factor produces consistently good mascaras and they're one of my fave brands for mascaras!


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!