ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Mascara Series Part 2: Yves Saint Laurent Everlong Lengthening Mascara Review

Photobucket
Yves Saint Laurent Everlong Mascara (regular [shiny] and waterproof [matte]): $27.50

The claim:

" The first mascara to offer a double-lengthening effect with treatment benefits.
    • Innovative molded brush improves efficiency of lengthening and separating lashes.
    • New formula maximizes the lengthening effect with original nourishing and stimulating complex to encourage long healthy lashes."
Photobucket

The brush: This mascara has a molded rubber brush with a multitude of tiny rubber bristles which act to create perfectly fanned out and separated lashes while lengthening beautifully. This has to be THE best wand I've ever encountered. It doesn't look like anything special coming out of the tube, but the fanning effect really is amazing and I've never had a single clump using this mascara (which is a small miracle for me!). I'm hopelessly in love with the wand and never want to let it go!

Photobucket

I have Asian eyes and so often find it difficult to use huge mascara brushes (think Diorshow, Lash Blast, etc.) but this brush is the perfect size, shape, everything!

Photobucket

The formula: The Everlong mascara contains nylon micro-fibers that act like hair extensions. Now I've tried many mascaras that contain micro-fibers, and I've found them to be spindly, spidery looking messes, but not Everlong! With multiple coats you can achieve amazing length, but your lashes will never look like hairy spider legs.

In addition, the Everlong formula contains Lash Growth Booster which is supposed to encourage lash growth and protect your lashes from dehydration. So you essentially get a two in one: immediate cosmetic effects and long-term lengthening and conditioning effects. I'm extremely skeptical when it comes to claims such as this, because I've tried several lash conditioners, none of which did a thing for my puny lashes. However, after using this mascara for a week I noticed that my lashes seemed a tiny bit thicker and longer. The funny thing is that I had no clue this mascara was about to do this, since I hadn't bothered reading about it at all-I'd just purchased it because I needed an extra $25 to get a gift with purchase. After doing some research online and learning that Everlong was actually supposed to have this effect on my lashes, it made sense.

The good: This mascara will lengthen your lashes like crazy and look amazing while doing it! And you get twice the bang for your buck, since this also acts as a lash grower/conditioner. Also, for some odd reason I love the scent of this mascara and find myself sniffing before applying.

The bad: The non-waterproof version of this mascara ends up under my eyes after a few hours, but I can't really fault the mascara for this since it's rare that a mascara doesn't smudge on me. However, YSL just came out with a waterproof version of this mascara that's just as amazing as the original but that doesn't smudge and removes easily with eye make-up remover!

Also, after a few months of use the mascara dried out a bit on me, but I added a drop of water to the tube, let it sit overnight and it was good as new.

Verdict: This mascara is currently my all-time favorite! I can remember the first time I put this on; I looked in the mirror and thought, this is what I've been wanting from a mascara since I was old enough to know what mascara was. Don't mind my crazed ramblings-I just seriously love this mascara!

Before:
Photobucket

Lashes After:
Photobucket

Photobucket
I know that they don't look all that long in this photo, but check out the top one! They look shorter here is because of the curl!

Photobucket


RATING: 4/5



To read Part 1 of this series, click here.

To see another view of my lashes without mascara, click here.

 

26 comments:

Feng said on June 12, 2008 at 7:29 PM

Ooo I've been thinking about buying this mascara for aaages... Now I'm really tempted =) Have you tryed the Faux Cils one? Because everyone's been raving about it and I'm not sure whether to buy this on or that one...

Feng
xXx

*Jen* said on June 12, 2008 at 7:35 PM

Hey Feng!

I feel like it's been AGES since I wrote this review! :P

I actually haven't tried Faux Cils, but since writing this review I've fallen in love with Chanel's Inimitable mascara in waterproof. It lifts, lengthens, and holds a curl, and the fact that it doesn't smudge AT ALL means I reach for it much more often than I do for the YSL.

If you haven't tried the Chanel, I'd highly recommend it!

I've been wanting to try Faux Cils forever but just haven't gotten around it. Once of these days :D

Feng said on June 14, 2008 at 4:45 PM

Ooo something else to add to my "must buy" list! =)

I have the sculpte cils one right now, and it's pretty good though I haven't tried many layers yet. It's a nice mascara but nothing special for me~

*Jen* said on June 15, 2008 at 10:05 AM

I think YSL mascaras are good when they're not layered, but they really shine when you take the time to really layer and build them up (although it's a bit of a pain in the butt!).

If you haven't tried it, try Chanel's inimitable. I like it because it gives me really pretty lashes with not too much work. I hate applying mascara because I always end up poking myself in the eye and getting it all over my eyelid, so the less time it takes the less chance I'll have an accident! :P

With the Inimitable though, a good curler is key. I tried it without my eyelash curler and I really hated it!

Feng said on June 16, 2008 at 3:55 PM

I cheat, I put mascara on before eyeshadow because otherwise I spend ages trying to get the mascara smuges off! ^_^

Out of interest, did the everlong pro-growth thing make your lashes any longer? or is that more of an advertising gimmick?

*Jen* said on June 16, 2008 at 5:25 PM

LOl Feng I've tried that but then I end up with eyeshadow all over my mascara! :D

I felt like the Everlong mascara made my lashes a tiny bit longer and thicker. Mainly what I noticed though was that my lashes felt stronger. I know that sounds strange, but I have super-flimsy lashes and while using Everlong they just seemed thicker and healthier. But I haven't used it in awhile and my lashes now feel like they're back to normal. Weird :\

Grayburn said on July 17, 2008 at 10:46 AM

This one looks amazingly dark which is so hard to find!

x Grayburn

*Jen* said on July 17, 2008 at 10:54 AM

I do think this is one of the blacker mascaras out there! I don't really notice it in person, but it always show up well in photographs of my eye makeup.

I really need a good black black mascara because my lashes are so fine-almost invisible!

itsliz89.com said on January 16, 2009 at 12:21 AM

HOLY COW! I thought I had found my HG mascara but after seeing your post, I definitely wasn't satisfied anymore! Because of your post, I went to my local YSL counter but they ran out of the everlong waterproof so I had to make an order. Can't wait till I get it!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on January 16, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Itsliz I can't wait to hear what you think of it! I hope that you love it.

itsliz89.com said on January 23, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Hey Jen, about how many coats did you use in the image? I tried out the everylong today and the results weren't awesome like yours... at all. My MAX factor volume couture thickened better.

*Jen* said on January 23, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Hey Liz!

Aww I'm sorry that this didn't end up working out all that well for you! Volume Couture is indeed a fabulous mascara and it's so much better than many department store ones I've tried!

In the photos above I used 2-3 coats of Everlong I believe. While I adore the length and definition it gives me, I will say that it doesn't give nearly as much volume as Volume Couture--I definitely have other mascaras I prefer over Everlong when I'm going for mega-volume.

Also, I've found myself preferring the waterproof version to the regular version--it holds a curl much better!

Anonymous said on March 4, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I just purchased this mascara, it works GREAT but was wondering if the formula seemed "drier" than other mascara's? Even brand new it seemed like it was a little dry vs creamy

*Jen* said on March 4, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Anonymous it makes me so happy to hear that you're enjoying what's easily one of my favorite mascaras ever!

Everlong definitely has a dryer formula, which is part of the reason I like it so much and also one of the things that makes it so annoying. The dryness is great because it makes it easy to apply/use and it also feels very light on, but it's also very annoying because it means that your mascara will dry it more quickly than more others will. It definitely has its pros and its cons, but it works so well for me that I'm okay with it!

Anonymous said on March 4, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Ah, I see. Yeah I totally agree with you, it is the BEST mascara I have ever used (my mom works for Nordstrom, and I have tried every single mascara they have + drugstore ones). The dryness is worth the end result - I almost thought I got a USED mascara because of how dry the formula felt but thank you for the reply! I am at peace with it now LOL

-Jas

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on March 4, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Jas this would be the PERFECT mascara for me if I didn't have smudging issues with it. The non-waterproof smudged pretty badly below my eyes, and even the waterproof smudges on me which is unfortunate since otherwise I love it so much.

The waterproof holds a curl much much better than the non-waterproof yet removes pretty easily--*sigh* if only it didn't smudge.

Definitely enjoy the mascara, it's really great!

Anonymous said on March 22, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Ah thank you for this review now I know what to get for my bday hehe =D It looks fantastic

*Jen* said on March 23, 2009 at 10:36 AM

thanks so much anonymous! it's really a great mascara ~ i could live without the smudging but other than that there's seriously nothing i can find wrong with it. well other than the fact that it's rather pricey =D

Anonymous said on April 15, 2009 at 4:40 AM

YSL does amazing results on your lashes!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on April 15, 2009 at 9:40 AM

Thanks Anonymous! I LOVE this mascara!

Sisa said on May 21, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Hello! This is a great mascara and a great article. I can really see the details of this mascara in the pictures. I want to buy this mascara, after seeing this I know this is the mascara for me.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 21, 2009 at 10:06 PM

Thanks so much for the compliment Sisa! This is still one of my favorite mascaras, although I do wish it didn't smudge the way it does!

Rachies said on July 2, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Hi Jen,
I'm new to your blog and I love it! It's just so well put together and detailed :)
Anyhoo after reading this I want to buy it but I have TERRIBLE experience with mascaras (I DO buy low-end O.O). I have oily single eyelids. The eyeliners, shadows and mascaras I've tried all smudge or crease on me. So I have 2 questions, if you have enough time to answer them:
1. Do you have oily/ dry etc skin? What about your eyelids?
2. Off the top of your head... do you have any recs?

Thanks~ Sorry, the last questions a bit lazy on my part, you dont have to answer since I figure you must be busy ^o^
Keep up the great work though!! =D

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on July 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Hi Rachies,

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave your first comment!

To answer your questions: I have very skin and very oily eyelids just like you--and like you I have major issues with mascara smudging.

And this week has definitely been crazy for me but I always have time to answer questions from my lovely readers :). Hmmm--what type of lashes do you have and what are you looking for in a mascara?

Off the top of my head here are a few quick suggestions. For incredible curl and no smudging, try Max Factor's Volume Couture in Waterproof or Fairy Drops (I've reviewed both here on the blog). For really nice length with minimal smudging, Maybelline's Lash Stiletto is a nice option. My one main suggestion for you is to go waterproof--it's much harder to remove, but with a single eyelid you want as little smudging and as much curl as you can get, and a waterproof mascara is what'll give it to you :)

Hope that helped!

Rachies said on July 13, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Jen,
Thanks for your quick reply, I can't say the same for mine though.. sorry~~
In any case it's good to know you have the same skin type as me; it means I can read your eye makeup posts knowing the products would probably work on me too :)
I have fine but not superfine lashes and even though they used to be straight they have a natural slight curl now (i'm guessing cus of my lash curlers?)
I will try those when theyre on sale, muchos gracias for your help ^-^

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on July 13, 2009 at 4:23 PM

LOL Rachies no worries I have my days too. Sometimes I'm terrible about responding to comments~

Be sure to update me on what you think if you end up trying any of the mascaras! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!