ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

How Do You Apply Your Eye Cream?

I don't know about you, but when I'm going through my skincare routine every morning and evening, I often wonder if I'm applying my products correctly. That's not to say that I don't know how to apply moisturizer to my face, but when it comes to the more delicate parts of my face such as the undereye area, which is notorious for its thin, crepey, wrinkle-prone skin, my curiosity abounds. I'm sure that there's no one "right" way to apply eye cream, but a little guidance is always appreciate - I'll debate whether to apply from the outer corners inwards, or the inner corners outwards.

Well is seems that Caudalie has heard my cries for help - look what I found on the inside of my box of Caudalie Contour Cream Eyes and Lips (which I'll be reviewing for you soon)!


I love this little illustrated guide that they have printed on the interior portion of their boxes. Their steps seem to be:

  • Pat gently on the under eye area, working from the inner corners outwards.
  • Repeat for the upper eyelid area, again working from the inner part of your eye outwards, following the contour of your eye.
  • Apply in a gentle circular motion along the outer corners of your eyes to smooth the appearance of lines.

Which brings me to my question: What method do you implement in applying your eye cream? Are you an in to out or an out to in? Do you tap or glide? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

 

38 comments:

Marce said on August 13, 2009 at 10:28 AM

Hey Jen! Cute guide! I suppose I put on cream sort of like it says there, but I smooth it out first and then pat it in, in a sort of C shape.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Thanks Marce! I figured it could be helpful for those who are just starting out with eye cream.

I used to do the C shape too, and now I just sort of do whatever, mostly because I'm too tired to be bothered most days.

Huda said on August 13, 2009 at 10:57 AM

I pat it in, slowly gliding from in to outwards. You know what, I don't know the correct way on using eye cream as well so thanks a lot for this! This is definitely very helpful for me :D

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Glad I could be helpful xisa! I love illustrated diagrams, they're so much better than explanations most of the time.

Ying said on August 13, 2009 at 11:31 AM

I tap them on. That's what I was taught to do while working at clinique

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Ariel & Ying I employ the tapping method too, although I'll admit I don't apply eye cream as regularly as I should. Some nights I'm just too tired to wash off my makeup =X.

Vanessa said on August 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Ooooh please do review the contour cream soon. I've been eyeing this one for a while since I've heard so much about Caudalie and I'm in need of a new eye cream.

Love your blog! It's definitely one of my favorites. ^^

Ying said on August 13, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Sigh I only use eyecream in the morning for the purpose of concealer not caking. Man I pass out a lot without taking off my makeup. But then I don't wear foundations. Oh btw have u heard of elf studio. They have 75% off now. I posted code on my blog. I ordered lots of random things. Haha. Hope they turn out worth the 75 cents per piece price. Hahaha

chubbibunni said on August 13, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Cute! :D

I've always been a patter, since every resource I've ever read has advised against any other application method. I actually go from out->in, since the inside of my eye is the most sensitive. Maybe I'll change it up now!

The gentle circular motion in the diagram is interesting. I'm not sure if I want to risk anything besides patting creams in atm though. :/

Thanks for the post~

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Vanessa I've been putting it off for forever but I promise to have it up by tomorrow, so do check back!

Awww thank you!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Ariel & Ying I don't wear undereye concealer but my eye area does get a little dry so I try to apply eye cream morning and evening, try being the operative word. It usually ends up being more like once a day or so.

I have indeed heard of ELF and I've tried a bunch of their products. I like their eyeshadow brush and eyelash curler but wasn't too crazy about some of the other items.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Lily M. I was a little iffy on the gentle circular motion myself - I feel like in the long run that would cause wrinkles! I'm super super paranoid about wrinkles on my undereye area LOL, although knowing me, worrying about my undereye area wrinkling will probably cause me to develop wrinkles =P.

Ying said on August 13, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Hopfully the studio line is better. I ordered lots of brushes hehe
Jen. Sigh. I need a new eye cream to depuff and help my dark circle or spots. Haha

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Ariel & Ying from what I remember the brushes weren't bad at all, and were a great deal for the price.

I've got a few good suggestions for depuffing that I'll be bringing to you shortly!

Ying said on August 13, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Yay. Can't wait. And also my sephora hual is delivered. That makes my day. Yay

Anastasia said on August 13, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I've stopped using mine, now. I was reading a blog post by my friend Jessica, which said that generally the vast majority of ingredients in eye cream and face cream are the same.

Sometimes they'll add caffiene or something to help with eye puffiness, but essentially it's exactly the same, but you're paying more for a smaller pot of it. Plus, I've noticed milia around my eyes which is from using too much product, so I've cut back to standard moisturiser and nothin' else.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Ariel have you had a chance to check out your new shadows? I can't wait to hear all about them, especially the Illamasqua!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Ana I try to be good about checking the ingredients on my eye creams, but it's not like I know what a lot of them are, or what they do.

Luckily I haven't had too much experience with milia just yet. My undereye area always seems to be a little on the dry side, whereas the rest of my face is a pool of grease.

Anonymous said on August 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM

love how you added the diagram. i don't use eye cream but i think i need to as i am getting really puffy undereye bags now. or i need to apply vitmin e oil more often at night. aging is not fun!

*Jen* said on August 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Jojoba I feel like we haven't chatted in forever!

The whole aging thing is so very depressing. I want to be in my teens again! =D

Ying said on August 13, 2009 at 7:43 PM

the stila eyeshadow is awesome!!! the Yes is quite nice to look at .. but it is not as bright as i would hoped. i have brown shadow on and i lined with yellow which looks cute.. but not what i was hoping for..you know the wow factor. I jog down some of the look i am going to try on paper but i am too lazy to do them now. >.< i am drinking starbucks at this hr.. watch me cannot sleep tonight hahaha

*Jen* said on August 13, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Awww Ying that's too bad about Yes!

I'm dying for some Starbucks right now! I'm still at work and not happy at all about it.

Ying said on August 13, 2009 at 7:55 PM

whaaaa.. still at work?! its okay I usually work from 7 45 to 6 30. pretty horrible right. I think starbucks might be my dinner tonight hahaha

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 7:57 PM

Yup Ying, still at work with no prospect of leaving anytime soon. Not too happy about it either.

Ying said on August 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM

aww pat pat! hope you get to go home soon!!

*Jen* said on August 13, 2009 at 8:23 PM

Me too Ying! I'm hungry and I want dinner! =D

Kristin said on August 13, 2009 at 8:23 PM

I pat it on like in the diagram, but using my ring finger. I read somewhere (probably Allure, or something like that) that you should use your ring finger so that you apply less pressure.

What's funny is that I used eye cream for a very long time before I even thought of applying it to my lids. I didn't know you were supposed to. Haha.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Kristin I use my ring finger too! When I first started using eye cream it didn't occur to me to apply it to my eyelids either - I guess when you're younger you don't really think about your upper eyelids sagging/wrinkling as much as you do about your undereye area getting all crepey =D.

Ying said on August 13, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Jen, i did a quick look on Yes, i need some suggestion >.< its quite hard to use.. hahahaha

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 9:16 PM

Ying I think it looks great on you! Yellow definitely makes a great inner eye shade for a colorful look like this:

http://www.abeautyfulsentiment.com/2008/10/mascara-series-part-10-lancome.html

But I'm envisioning it as the inner shade with a charcoal shade on the outer half of the eye and just a dab of gold on the center. I think it could be dramatic and oh so hot!

Ying said on August 13, 2009 at 9:49 PM

i gotta try it next time.. that looks great on you.. the problem with my eye is = lack of crease...>.< so it made eye shadow a bit challenging..haha

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Ying I barely have a crease! =P

I was searching randomly for some yellow looks and found this one that I like:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_YCmTyswCSUc/SnJhgdZkKbI/AAAAAAAACak/RudRHTpXr5U/Picture%20048_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg

I think the yellow would also look awesome with a hot pink blended into the outer half, unless you're not too crazy about really bright eye looks =P.

Ying said on August 13, 2009 at 10:28 PM

man that looks awesome on her.. but i do not think i can pull it off.. her eye socket is prob way deeper than mine.. i will give it a try thou... is that red on her?? woo my arm is hurting from wii resort..=-=

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 13, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Ying I think based on your eye shape you could totally pull off a modified version of that! It looks like a red/brown - I usually dislike that kind of color, but on her it looks great!

Nicolle said on August 13, 2009 at 11:10 PM

How do you put your moisturizer on Jen? I'm curious! I think I might be doing it wrong. I have had it done 3 different ways whenever I got my make-up done.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 14, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Nicolle I'm totally guilty of just smooshing the moisturizer around on my face when I'm really tired, which isn't the best method. I don't think there's any right way to do it, but I like to warm the moisturizer between my fingers by rubbing it, and then I sort of press it into my face and pat. And rub sometimes - I like to rub even though I know I shouldn't.

Nicolle said on August 15, 2009 at 1:39 AM

I am guilty of not warming it in my hands first. I also don't pat it on either. I guess I'm too lazy or just forget! I usually just put little dots of it around and spread it around.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 16, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Nicolle I do that some days too - it all depends on how tired I am =). Some nights I'm lucky if I can even get around to washing my face!


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!