ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Mascara Series Part 30: Givenchy Phenomen'eyes Effet Extension High-Precision Panoramic Mascara Review & Photos


See my review of the original Givenchy Phenomen'eyes Mascara HERE.

The Claim:
A mascara with a spherical brush and a new-generation formula that coats each lash and dries quickly for an immediate lengthening effect. Expert and tiny, the brush skillfuly reached the remotest corners, gliding smoothly from lash to lash and base to tip. The secret of this mascara's high-definition lengthening power lies in its extending and fixing: It strikes the perfect balance between the formula's elasticity and drying time. The result is bat-worthy lashes with a panoramic effect.


The Packaging: Givenchy's new Phemon'eyes Effet Extension comes in the same packaging as the original Phemone'eyes, just with the words Effect Extension encircling the top of the tube. The Givenchy tube is a lot shorter and stubbier than conventional mascara tubes and has a nice heft to it that makes it enjoyable to grasp and use. All in all it's relatively simple yet elegant - and nothing beats the uniqueness of the applicator inside!


The Brush: I've already said my piece on the ball-shaped Phenomen'eyes applicator HERE, which people say reminds them of a sea urchin or some type of medieval torture device, so I'll keep this short and sweet. This patented ball applicator made of flexible elastors has its pros and cons. On the bright side it really allows you to reach every last lash, including those hard to reach ones on the inner and outer corners, and it allows you to focus on smell segments with ease. The con is that you are working in small segments, meaning mascara application takes a good deal longer than I'd like. One other thing I dislike is that whenever I pull the applicator out there a huge glob of mascara stuck on one end, but thankfully the ball-applicator does a great job of evenly distributing the product.


The Formula: I know you're going to ask me how this is different from the original Phenomen'eyes formula, and you can expect a detailed breakdown sometime within the next 24 hours or so, so for the time being I'm just going to focus on the Effet Extension formula. Effet Extension, true to its name, really does a great job of lengthening the lashes. For me it doesn't hold much of a curl at all, but I can get a decent amount of volume and really beautiful length using this formula. It also dries very quickly, which can work both for and against you. Its quick drying time means you really don't need to worry about this smudging on you, but the downside is that you'll want to apply additional coats while it's still somewhat wet since applying additional mascara on top of the already dry formula will lead to clumpiness/spideriness. The overall look is nice, but I always find myself wishing for a little more clean definition with this one.




The Verdict: It takes a little more work and effort than I'd like, but Givenchy's Phenomen'eyes Effet Extension is very successful in giving me super-long, fluttery lashes that don't smudge or flake, yet remove easily with water and some face wash. Coupled with the novelty of the brush I'd say this one is worth checking out if you've been interested in trying it, although it's not one of those "rocked my world" mascaras.

RATING: 3.75/5


RELATED POSTS:
Read Parts 1-29 of the Mascara Series here! I've also added a "Mascara Series" tab up top so you have easy access to it at all times!



 

14 comments:

Anonymous said on August 16, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I'll be curious to know your thoughts! The original formula smudged like crazy on me. I returned it... :/
Thanks!
Sunny

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 16, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Sunny I was in the middle of putting together a comparison post and then I forget - goes to show how forgetful I am! Could you please give me a gentle reminder if I don't put it up sometime soon?

This one is definitely not as smudgy as the original and dries much faster. It's much easier to work with!

AskMeWhats said on August 16, 2009 at 10:43 PM

eventhough effort is needed, the lashes came out really full and nice!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 16, 2009 at 10:46 PM

Thanks Askmewhats! I really like that even though this one take a decent amount of effort, once it's one it stays put until I wash it of at the end of the day. I hate mascaras that smudge around on me!

T.R. said on August 17, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Okay great so this is an add to my very small (I mean like 2) LOL mascara collection.

*Jen* said on August 17, 2009 at 5:53 AM

T.R. what's in your collection so far and how do you feel about what you have?

T.R. said on August 17, 2009 at 11:49 AM

My Lancome L'Extreme (my HG that I love so much) I use it with the CIL Booster. And I've been using the waterproof version of Mayballine the Colossal Volume Express Hydrofuge mascara. I'm really loving it Jen. It takes my lashes to a whole other level.

I know you didn't give it a high review, I'm really liking it.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 17, 2009 at 11:53 AM

T.R. I'd tried the non-waterproof version of that which, while it looked really nice on, was such a flaking disaster that it irritated the heck out of my eyes. I'd imagine the waterproof version stays put much better, so I can totally see it being wonderful!

Anastasia said on August 17, 2009 at 2:41 PM

It looks nice on your lashes! What I find interesting is that the wand in this, all the spikes radiate outwards from a point in the centre.

On other spherical wands like the L'Oreal one, the bristles radiate out from the stick but only in one direction. I can't explain it very well, but the others look like it was a standard brush which has been trimmed into a ball shape, whereas the Givenchy one is clearly a ball.

Marce said on August 17, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Great review, Jen! The mascara looks great on you! I had a Givenchy makeover and the artist applied it 1st in a windshield motion and 2nd from the roots to the tips, with the wand pointing upwards. The result was pretty cool, but I think you can get the same result with other mascaras, right?

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 17, 2009 at 8:26 PM

Ana I sort of think that I understand what you're saying - that's cheating on their end though because a ball mascara applicator should be a real ball!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 17, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Thanks Marce!

That's what I do too, and yes you can essentially achieve the same look using other mascaras, this one's just fun as a novelty. I do like that the ball shape really lets me reach those very innermost and outermost lashes that I have trouble getting at otherwise, but if you're not into the whole cool ball thing and just wanting to try it for that, it's probably not worth splurging on.

Anastasia said on August 17, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Well if it's patented they'll have to change it a significant amount I imagine to be able to do it, so perhaps that's why?

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 18, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Ana I totally forgot about the whole patent issue LOL! My head has been somewhere in the clouds lately, I'm not all here.


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!