Make Up For Ever HD High Definition Invisible Cover Foundation ($40)What it is: An oil-free medium-to-full-coverage liquid foundation that covers skin imperfections flawlessly while remaining invisible on-screen and in real life. Creates a soft-focus effect, designed to meet the coverage concerns of those in the spotlight. It creates a complexion that looks flawless, even in bright or harsh lighting. This Sephora-exclusive foundation comes in 25 different shades to suit all skintones.
I'm a sucker for rave reviews when it comes to cosmetics, and so seeing all of the buzz on this foundation I couldn't resist ordering it. But after all my excitement and waiting, look what came in the mail! A cracked, leaky bottle that had swirls of foundation trapped within the inner plastic layer of the bottle (click to enalge the photo)--boooo! I decided to test it out anyway since it's not like Sephora could resell this cracked bottle to anybody else, and I was only in for further disappointment.
Shade Selection: With a range of 25 shades, you'd think it'd be easy to find one that works, but nope! I'd tested all of the lighter shades at the store: 118 had been a little too dark and 117 much too yellow. I finally settled on 115 as being the shade closest to my natural skintone. Well apparently not so much--it didn't look terrible on per se, but it just didn't blend with my skin the way I wanted it to.
The Foundation: First of all, I just need to say "invisible cover" my butt. MUFE's HD foundation (at least on me) looked cakey and gave me the worst case of "hey look at me I'm wearing foundation" ever. While I love heavy duty coverage, I don't like for it to be so blatantly obvious that I'm wearing makeup, and no matter how light I went with this stuff, my foundation was most definitely still visible. That coupled with the fact that HD brought my oilies on much earlier than usual = bad. Perhaps if I'd been able to find a better shade-match this would've looked better on, but as of now I'm just not a fan.
Shade Selection: With a range of 25 shades, you'd think it'd be easy to find one that works, but nope! I'd tested all of the lighter shades at the store: 118 had been a little too dark and 117 much too yellow. I finally settled on 115 as being the shade closest to my natural skintone. Well apparently not so much--it didn't look terrible on per se, but it just didn't blend with my skin the way I wanted it to.
The Foundation: First of all, I just need to say "invisible cover" my butt. MUFE's HD foundation (at least on me) looked cakey and gave me the worst case of "hey look at me I'm wearing foundation" ever. While I love heavy duty coverage, I don't like for it to be so blatantly obvious that I'm wearing makeup, and no matter how light I went with this stuff, my foundation was most definitely still visible. That coupled with the fact that HD brought my oilies on much earlier than usual = bad. Perhaps if I'd been able to find a better shade-match this would've looked better on, but as of now I'm just not a fan.
A small squirt of MUFE's HD foundation. It has a medium consistency that's decently easy to work with and blend.
Blending.
I really wanted to love this but between the cracked bottle and the makeup-y look MUFE's HD foundation just didn't work for me. But I know some of you love this and it works amazingly well for you--it definitely seems to be a love or hate thing. On the bright side I still love and use their HD Microperfecting Primer regularly!
RATING: 2.5/5

RATING: 2.5/5



18 comments:
Kayvid: You just said every single thing I felt about this foundation when I tried it as well. Hated it. Besides people who like it may as well try the drugstore Carmindy foundation as I feel they are both extremely similar.
I heard this stuff is pretty good, but I guess you can show them like "Hey look at my face, I am wearing makeup!" hehehe :P I think BB cream would work whole alot better than this HD founcation. Oh you should definitely try AQUASOURCE cream :) It's awesome
In the final pic, it looks like the foundation settled right into the lines in your skin. The texture of your skin looks even more obvious. Boo! Soft focus effect my foot!
Everyone does sort of seem to be going nuts over this, right?
I haven't tried it myself - probably won't. Thanks for giving us your two cents!
I am loving Lorac's Natural Performance Foundation. It is amazing - packed with all sorts of good for you stuff and it is very buildable.
Kayvid I'm so glad I wasn't the only one! After re-reading all the rave reviews I've been wondering if it was just me...
Digital Angel I much prefer my Skin79 BB cream to this! Once I'm through my Lierac cream I may give the Aquasource a try.
Deb indeed it did! It emphasized every little line and didn't photograph all that well either. I was definitely unimpressed.
I wanted to try this, but now I think I'll bump the primer up my list and ignore this, for now. I'm still using Estée Lauder's Doublewear and love it - after wearing it all day, I can glance in a mirror and my face still looks exactly like it did when I applied it in the morning :]
Hey Laurie!
I'd save my money but that's just my opinion :).
I think I have a few samples of that Lorac foundation lying around somewhere--I'll have to give it a shot!
Ana that doublewear really sounds so great! On the bright side you'll probably be able to find a shade light enough for you since some of these shades are pretty pale!
I have this foundation and loved it. I think it really depends on whether you selected the right color. I thought I was a 120 but was actually a 123. the foundation feels very light and stays matte on my skin like it is invisible. I guess that is why there are so many products on the market...everyone has their favorites and this is definately mine.
Glad this worked out for you Anna! Different products definitely do work differently for different people, or else there wouldn't be such a booming cosmetics industry. I really wanted to love this but just couldn't get it to work for me :(.
I really wanted this foundation to work out for me, but I think the best thing I ever did was return it. I wish it would've lived up to all of the hype for me.
Me too Nicole! It was so disappointing that it turned out to be a dud =X.
honestly it looks a little too light for your skin tone.. maybe a darker shade wouldnt have emphasized the lines so much? just a suggestion.
Thanks for the suggestions Anonymous! I tried to find the "right" shade but they were all too light, too dark, too pink or too yellow--none were the right fit for me unfortunately.
This is actually a gorgeous, perfect (well, it's HG status for me) foundation if applied correctly. Since the formula's particles are so small, they WILL settle into your lines if you blend it with your fingers. If you try a brush or a sponge, your results will be truly flawless.
Thanks for the suggestions Christina! I think another issue I had was that none of the shades seemed to quite work for me, they were all a little off. I do know a million people who absolutely love this though!
Post a Comment