ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

OPI Matte Polish Collection


OPI Matte Polishes in:
Russian Navy, Lincoln Park After Dark, You Don’t Know Jacques!
Alpine Snow, La Paz-Itively Hot, Gargantuan Green Grape

While I wasn't too crazy about the KO Knock Out matte polishes when I gave them a go at Bendel's a few months back, I'm still tingly with anticipation awaiting the July launch of OPI's matte collection, partially because it's tough to find a really nice color selection when it comes to mattes.

Come July, OPI will be launching 6 matte polishes to correspond with their already released, best-selling glossy counterparts. Matte polish definitely makes a statement, but it also requires a lot of upkeep since they tend to show more wear & tear, especially since they're meant to be worn sans topcoat. And for those of you who aren't feeling the whole matte nail trend, you can minimally indulge by using the matte polish as an accent shade (think matte french tips!).


I've also been hearing that Butter London's Nail Foundation Flawless Basecoat when used on top of your polish basically acts as a mattifier, meaning you can get the matte look using all your favorite polishes. I'm dreaming of matte Konadicures!

Here's a little more info on the Nail Foundation from Butter London's site:

This treatment hides and smoothes tiny ridges and imperfections in the nail. It is like cover-up, or foundation make-up for the nail. It leaves a silky, matte finish when used alone. This makes it an excellent product for MEN who want an invisible, but immaculate manicure. When used as basecoat, it provides a beautiful, smooth surface on which to paint. This will give a wonderful result to the look of your lacquer.

 

16 comments:

deb said on June 10, 2009 at 9:38 PM

I can't wait to see these in person. Zoya also has 3 mattes coming out, but the OPI ones are in the widest color range and will be easiest for me to acquire.
There are a few other products you can use to make polish matte. Essie makes a product called Man-E-Cure that is a matte coat for men. Orly has a similar product called Nails for Males. I've also heard of people using Nailtek foundation in the same way. I have a bottle of Man-E-Cure that I bought for DBF, so I think I'll give that a try as well.
Some of the gals on Makeupalley's nail board also have been finding Maybelline's matte polishes (which came out years ago, but were discontinued) at Dollar Tree.

Anastasia said on June 10, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I don't think I've ever seen matte nailpolish, but I like the idea of it. If you get some of these, I'd love to see the designs you come up with, I adore seeing your Konadicures.

The nail foundation sounds interesting, although I always struggle putting more than one layer on my nails, 'cause I apply it too thick and it all gunks up. Sounds like it could be pretty amazing as a base in the hands (or ON the hands) of someone who knows how to use it, though!

Amanda K said on June 11, 2009 at 10:11 AM

I can't wait to try it out.

B said on June 11, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I saw the swatches on All Lacquered Up's blog and they don't impress me THAT much. But I stiiiill want them. :)

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on June 11, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Deb do you have a preference as between Zoya and OPI polishes?

Thanks so much for all the mattifying polish suggestions, I'm definitely going to check out at least one of these. I'd love to hear how the Ma-E-Cure works for you, since that may be the easiest for me to find.

I had no idea Maybelline had a matte polish line! I'm really excited for the hot pink in this OPI release--I think I'm going to love it!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on June 11, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Ana I'm definitely going to do my best to get ahold of at least one of these to play around with, although I always do feel oh so guilty splurging on polishes but there's no reason my nails shouldn't look pretty. I'm hoping these work well with the Konad plates, since I think the contrast of matte/glossy would look pretty cool.

btw thank you so much for the bit on enjoying the Konadicures! I've been wondering if people actually like looking at them or if I've just been boring everyone--now I know I can continue to post them! :)

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on June 11, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Me neither Amanda! July needs to come sooner!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on June 11, 2009 at 12:02 PM

Happy Anniversary B!!!!!!

Thanks so much for letting me know the swatches are up, I popped over to take a look at them, and you're right they weren't quite what I expected, although like you, that doesn't stop me from wanting them. Particularly the pink shade! You know I love me my pink.

NG said on June 11, 2009 at 12:38 PM

o0o. All Lacquered Up nail blog has swatches of them. They are... incredibly matte. Like I think it's hard to even describe how matte they look, but the colors remind me of taking a permanent marker and doodling all over your nails.

A base coat is okay though!

*Jen* said on June 11, 2009 at 1:10 PM

nanshi i checked out the swatches earlier today and they are indeed incredibly matte! pretty much like tinted whiteout LOL. i do like shade shades better than i liked the KO color range though--those i didn't find to be incredibly flattering.

Anonymous said on June 11, 2009 at 9:09 PM

As you can see, I have a Blogger account now. I tried applying Man-E-Cure to my mani last night after reading and commenting on this post. If you would rather have a satin finish type of matte rather than a super flat matte, Man-E-Cure would be a good choice. I got my bottle of Man-E-Cure on clearance at Ulta for about $5. Normally, it is about $15. If you can't find it on sale, I would probably go for Orly Nails for Males, which is the matte top that the gal from All Lacquered Up used in her comparison pics. That's only $9.
While both are good brands, I find that Zoya wears better and has a somewhat better formula than OPI.

Nazia said on June 11, 2009 at 10:21 PM

I don't know how I feel about matte polishes. So I would definitely have to check out the collection in person. But I'm thinking that Russian Navy polish would be a nice dark color to own... I'd be really interested in getting a black one.

Miss Yaya said on June 12, 2009 at 3:52 AM

so excited to see swatches! you will swatch rightttt? :)

*Jen* said on June 12, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Deb congrats on the new blog! I've added you to my links :)

Wow $15?! All these nail mattefying products seem to be on the pricier side. I wasn't crazy about how the Orly changed the color of some of the polishes.

I'm dying to get a look at the Zoya matte polishes!

*Jen* said on June 12, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Nazia from the looks of it the original Russian Navy is gorgeous but the matte version lacks depth--which I know is silly to say since obviously a matte polish will lack depth, but I just didn't find the color too interesting.

*Jen* said on June 12, 2009 at 10:25 AM

LOL Miss Yaya I'll definitely swatch if I can! If not, I'll at least swatch the one(s) I purchase :)


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!