ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Mascara Series Part 33: CoverGirl LashBlast Length Review & Photos

CoverGirl LashBlast Length ($7.49)

The Claim: Get a blast of long lashes all day! LashBlastLength's patent-pending tapered brush and nylon lengthening formula combination work together to lengthen lashes that won't flake or smudge. CoverGirl's longest brush ever takes lashes up to 80% longer, while the unique Elasta-Nylon formula flexes without flaking so lashes hold their length all day. Preferred 4-to-1 over the leading lengthening mascara for flaking.

The Packaging: The slimness and sleekness that is LashBlast Length was a nice change of pace from the original LashBlast which I reviewed here, and the tapered bright yellow tube is just downright fun. The exterior of the tube has this nice texture to it and overall I'm a fan!

Click to enlarge!

The Brush: The brush is also a huge change of pace from the original LashBlast - while this one is rather long, it's narrow and therefore very Asian-eye friendly and such a pleasure to use. It's narrowness makes it perfect to maneuver into those corners of your eyes where your inner and outer lashes like to hide, and emphasizing those is really vital for a fully dramatic look. LashBlast Length's brush successfully grabs, defines and elongates each and every lash without my ending up with mascara all over my upper eyelid.

Check out the rest of the review and photos of LashBlast Length on me after the jump!

The Formula: The formula is where my love for LashBlast Length really kicks in! So as most of you know, I've been a quest for a cheaper, non-smudging version of YSL's Everlong for the longest time now and honestly nothing has even come close ~ except LashBlast Length! Now the definition isn't quite as fabulous, nor is the length, but the formulas do feel quite similar going on. LashBlast Length has the same somewhat dry feeling formula that's a breeze to work with and I can apply layer after layer without clumps or flakes.

One coat of this mascara really doesn't do much for me, but after coats two and three I'm in long-lash heaven! If you're looking for dramatic volume and a thick lush fan of lashes I'd turn elsewhere, but if your aim is to achieve super long fanned out lashes that won't clump or flake (I did experience an almost negligible amount of smudging) and will feel fluttery soft all day, you really can't beat this for the price.



Usage Tips: Alternate layers of LashBlast Length with your favorite volumizing mascara for a thick, impossibly long fringe of defined lashes that will have amazing natural lift (thanks to LashBlast Length).

The Verdict:
I've got to say that this is my favorite mascara purchase in quite awhile (notwithstanding two mascara reviews I have coming for you soon ~ thankfully I'm on a good mascara streak now!) and I was really surprised by how much I loved LashBlast Length! If you've got short, sparse lashes like me and are looking for something to draw out that length, LashBlast Length might just do the trick!

PACKAGING: 4/5
USER-FRIENDLINESS: 5/5
VALUE: 5/5
PRODUCT: 4.5/5

OVERALL: 4.5/5


 

41 comments:

Tricia said on October 15, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Oooh that stuff looks nice! I've always been a fan of the CG mascaras. I usually don't go for lengthening mascaras but the volume this gives is ridiculous!!

. : * justine * : . said on October 15, 2009 at 11:56 AM

Definitely going to try this! I had issues with the old Lash Blast as the tube was too bulky for me to hold comfortably, but this looks sleek and cute!

Nicole said on October 15, 2009 at 12:35 PM

wowww! i am impressed! need to pick this one up along with the l'oreal one that's similar to the givenchy one we have. your lashes look great! :)

Catherine said on October 15, 2009 at 12:57 PM

Wow, this is actually pretty impressive!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 1:28 PM

thanks sizbelle! i debated for the longest time whether or not to purchase this, but then the SO got it for me so i was set!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 1:28 PM

tricia surprisingly enough i tend not to love CG products so much, but this one was pretty great!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Justine I found the original tough to work with. I'd try to maneuver around my eye but would always end up with streaks of mascara along my upper eyelid!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Nicole the L'Oreal one is good to pick up just to have, but this one is actually a great mascara, at least to me! I still need to try that Shu one you suggested to me.

BTW my plans for this morning didn't pan out as planned. But I may still have some news for you come evening.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Right Catherine? The length it gives is really great (at least with a couple of coats), and while it takes a little work to get these results I'd say it's totally worth it.

justltee said on October 15, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Looks good! I didn't have a lot of luck with the big bulky orange tube so I returned it. I also recall it had a strong chemical smell to it too. ???

Good to know that this brush is slimmer.

Anonymous said on October 15, 2009 at 1:54 PM

It looks really nice. I haven't used a Cover Girl mascara since I was a teenager. Since I try out a new mascara every time I have to buy a new tube, I can add this one to my list.

Anonymous said on October 15, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Kayvid: As a lover os the former LB (the orange tube) I had full confidence in this one and went out and got this one. I LOVE the lengthening. It's ridiculous. My lashes actually touch my brows(which are fairly high)...so yay for this one!

dαnnεεl said on October 15, 2009 at 2:17 PM

It looks great. But I'm looking for volume and thick lashes though. What would you recommend? Have you tried the L'oreal Voluminous one? I heard a lot of good things about it.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 2:42 PM

LT I didn't either. I liked the formula a decent amount, but it was really hard for me to maneuver that gigantic bristled mammoth of a thing around my eyes. This one is MUCH slimmer and such a pleasure to use!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Sounds good Deb! I must admit I really haven't tried very many CoverGirl products in my time. I've tried LashBlast, a foundation I hated (gave me hives) and their lipstain and that Crest-affiliated gloss. Nothing has really wowed me so far though other than this.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Yay Kayvid so glad to hear from another LashBlast Length lover! It really is quite fantastic - I had no qualms giving it a high rating!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 2:45 PM

dαnnεεl I actually haven't, but I do have a great Clinique recommendation coming your way that's fabulous for volume. I have a few in the mascara series that offered really amazing volume, but can't think of any drugstore ones off the top of my head.

Leslie said on October 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM

hi Jen, thanks for the great review and photos. Just wondering...what's your current HG mascara?

~Lisa said on October 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Great review, and your lashes look great. I still haven't tried the original LashBlast but it's sitting in my drawer right now waiting for the day I'll open it, lol. I might layer this mascara with it =]

Joolz said on October 15, 2009 at 8:47 PM

Thanks for the review - I hadn't heard about this one yet! I truly dislike the other LBs, the red and orange ones, for the same reason you gave - the brush is just too big! Glad to see a much slimmer brush on this one. I'll make a note of it!

ezzie said on October 15, 2009 at 10:23 PM

your lashes look fab!
i wasn't expecting much of this mascara, but after reading your review, my thoughts have changed (:
i could definatly use some boost of length on my lashes, and this seems well worth the purchase!
thanks jen~

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Leslie that's a toughie for me only because I'm currently in the process of testing so many good ones lately. Of the crop of new ones, I'm really liking this CG LashBlast Length, along with Clinique's High Impact and the new Bare Escentuals mascara.

I do tend to layer though as I still haven't found that one perfect mascara that does it all.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Thanks Lisa!

I'm a big proponent of layering mascaras - what one mascara can't do alone, two can definitely do! =P

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Joolz I know these are under the LashBlast name but they're completely different and to me, so much nicer to use with my shape eyes. I love it!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Ezzie it's even better if you have a favorite volumizing mascara - if you layer the two, you should get awesome results!

Strawberry said on October 16, 2009 at 1:14 AM

Wow I was looking for good mascara specifically for Asian eyes and stumbled across your blog. This was an awesome review I'm definitely going to buy it!! :)

XOVINTAGELOVE said on October 16, 2009 at 5:06 AM

I can't wait to get my hands on this! Looks fantastic!

kko said on October 16, 2009 at 8:34 AM

As soon as I read this review, I got myself a LashBlast length! I didn't like the original lashblast because it weighed my lashes down and the brush was way too large...this new one is fabulous - with and without the shiseido base. I've been happily using Fairy drops mascara but noticed that my eyes get irritated and red at times...like Fiberwig (but worse). Maybe my eyes are not compatible with Japanese mascaras? Maybe it's because I wear contact lenses? It's nice to easily purchase this from a local drugstore instead of waiting weeks from sasa!

I still use the fairy drops mascara for my lower lashes and it works WONDERS. You just can't go wrong with it!

Thanks Jen for another great review!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM

PixyEla so glad you found me! Definitely take a browse through the rest of the mascara series - i promise it's fun!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 16, 2009 at 4:59 PM

XOVINTAGELOVE I'm really loving it! I've been wearing it nonstop!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Kan so glad to hear that some of my recommendations have been working out pretty well for you!

Hmmm it may just be that something in there irritates your eyes. I haven't noticed it with Fairy Drops, but a lot of other Japanese mascaras do seem to cause me some major irritation.

So happy to see you back here!

ezzie said on October 16, 2009 at 7:11 PM

yeah im thinking max factor's volume couture + covergirl lashblasht length = lush, long eyelash happiness!

T.R. said on October 19, 2009 at 8:33 AM

WOW Jen. I think Target has a double pack of these on sale. I'm going to have to check it out or definitely wait for the next BOGO.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 19, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Definitely Ezzie! Let me know how it works out for you if you end up trying them together. Betting they'll look fantastic!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 19, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Oooh double packs sound great! Have I mentioned I love Target for drugstore cosmetics? Their prices are always so much better than Walgreens or CVS!

T.R. said on October 19, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I agree with you about Target. And when they have a sale it's great. I got my double pack Lash Stilleto at Target for 6.94. The one at CVS is about 8 bucks. I love Target.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 19, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Talia that's such an awesome deal! I think I paid around $8-9 for my single tube.

Cat K said on October 26, 2009 at 1:07 AM

Wow, it looks really nice on you! Thanks for the review! BTW, have you tried the water resistant version? I want to try it but I don't know if it will hold a curl :-/.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 26, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Cat I haven't but I'd love to at some point because I think it would hold a curl really well, especially compared to this one which lifts but doesn't hold much of a curl at all. Definitely next on my list of things to try!

nhi said on November 3, 2009 at 5:22 AM

Hello! Your mascara reviews are amazing! So glad I found your blog, thanks for all your detailed work. I was wondering what your HG mascara is now? I have the same stubborn straight asian lashes as you, just wondering what your top one or two favorites are? Thanks!! =)

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on November 4, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Hi nhi! Thank you so much for your sweet compliments!

Hmm that's a toughie! I'm really loving Bare Escentuals' new mascara (can't remember the name off the top of my head but I feel like it's got the word definition in it) - it doesn't curl but it defines nicely. In terms of the mascara that comes closest to doing it all - I'd say Fairy Drops layered with any average lengthening mascara is pretty amazing. And Jill Stuart's curling mascara is pretty beautiful too!

Let me know if I can offer you any other suggestions! Oh and if you haven't already, do try a waterproof Max Factor mascara - they curl beautifully (only the waterproof) and are so affordable too!


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!