ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

MAC Make-Up Art Cosmetics Mini Haul w/ Reviews & Swatches!


I've been attempting to stay as far away from MAC as I can get, as every time I step foot in a MAC store I seem to walk away with a bunch of things I hadn't intended to buy, but last night I decided to indulge in a little MAC-therapy, mostly because I really wanted to check out the MAC Make-Art Cosmetics As Seen By Maira Kalman collection. I really loved how whimsical and fun all her shades were!


I came home with Crest the Wave eyeshadow (a shimmery yellow the color of sunshine) and Colour Matter Technakohl liner (a bright lime shade that's already sold out online and pretty much sold out in stores as well) from the As Seen by Maira Kalman line and a lipglass in Peresonal Taste (a dirty pinky rose with pink and gold shimmer - heavy on the shimmer) from the As Seen by Richard Phillips collection.

Review, swatches, and close-ups of everything below!


I've been looking for that perfect yellow for a long time, and hopefully I've found it in Crest the Wave. It has a beautiful satiny texture, nice pigmentation and shimmer, and really brightens my eye area.

Close-up of Crest the Wave in the pan (this one I definitely recommend clicking to enlarge - it's beautiful up close!).


This is my first MAC Technakohl Liner and definitely my first lime green eyeliner. They didn't even have the tester of this out anymore, but I decided to give it a shot since this was one of the last two Colour Matters my MAC store had and my SA promised I'd love it. I wasn't fully expecting to like it, nor was I expecting it to be as wearable as it is. Who knew that lime green liner is actually pretty easy to pull off? It's not fluorescent/super bright but rather gives the eyes a nice bright yet not too crazy pop of color. Love this for my waterline.

Close-up of Technakohl Liner in Colour Matters.


I had absolutely no intention of picking up anything else, but then I had a sudden urge to purchase a gloss, which is how this happened =X. Not that I'm complaining, since Personal Taste is different enough from the other glosses I own that I can justify the purchase. It's a soft rose shade interspersed with copious shimmer that's beautiful on its own for a soft shimmery lip (it's a little paler than my natural lip color so tones everything down a bit) or over a pink lipstick for an extra burst of shimmer. Regardless of how you choose to use this shade, under the right lighting the multi-dimensional shimmer will really captivate you.

Swatches: Crest the Wave (top left), Colour Matters (top right), Personal Taste (bottom)

Have you picked up anything from the trio of MAC Make-Up Art Cosmetics releases?

 

28 comments:

Anastasia said on August 26, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Nice choices, Personal Taste was my favourite gloss, too, and you know how I feel about lime green.

Crest the Wave looks beautiful, but it looks so similar to my beloved Going Bananas I don't think I'll get it.

*Jen* said on August 26, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Ana I thought of you and your Going Bananas when I saw Crest the Wave, only because I remember loving the shade so much in your swatch. I need more variety in my eyeshadow collection.

T.R. said on August 26, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Hmmmm, Jen you're making me rethink. I might get this yellow and that eyeliner. I've heard so much about the Going bananas from Ana, I'm tempted, to get the yellow. Can't wait for the review of these.

As I said at first sight I passed and picked up the Rated R.

*Jen* said on August 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM

T.R. I really like the yellow - I'll be sure to post an EOTD at some point for you. It's a nice bright yellow - like sunshine like I mentioned above - yet it's not too dramatic or bold as to not be wearable during the day. If you have a ton of yellows I'd say skip it, but if you don't have any and want something that's not too scary to start off with I say go for it!

Marce said on August 26, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Love the fun colours you picked up! I'm thinking of splurging on a couple of items too in a couple of months when this is released! Will we be seeing Colour Matters in a FOTD? I'm interested in seeing what the hype is about :)

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 26, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Indeed you will Marce, I'm just trying to figure out what would look best with it. I don't have too many colors that go well with lime green in my collection LOL, as I'm mostly a bright pink girl =P. I'll try to have that up soon though!

Anastasia said on August 26, 2009 at 1:23 PM

You can use the yellow as the lightest colour (i.e. inner corner to middle of lid) with greens, teals, blues, purples and orange/pinks with some success, I think.

It also makes a great colour for the lower lashline with a different coloured lid - like I did with blue in the heroes wear primary colours one?

I think Going Bananas is probably my favourite MAC eyeshadow. I know that's quite shocking, since it's not green, but it really is the PERFECT yellow and so very very versatile. You could do a gorgeous candy-lollipop tropical pink and yellow look.

I've used green liner with bright/dark green eyeshadow, teals, purple, sky blue, and for adding a pop of colour to the waterline when you do say more neutral silvery looks.

Green's opposite is red, but sadly they don't tend to go together terribly well without looking very seasonal. Burgundy and teal, however, can go well. You should try the liner all over the lid as a base for some greenish eyeshadow and highlight with crest the wave, too?

I think I remember a Sephora look a while back which used UD liner in Smog all over the lid, then a dark green eyeshadow over it and like shaded in with a darker one or black at the outer-V, and then it used bright green eyeliner on top and bottom. They used a liquid UD one, Acid Rain, but yours would work :3

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 26, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Ana thanks so much for all the great suggestions! You know I'm leaning towards the tropical lollipop look - pinks and yellow sound so gorgeous. I wish I had a nice orange to pair with the look but I don't think I own any.

Love the idea of using the liner all over and then layering with Crest the Wave. And I keep forgetting to use Smog as an all over lid color!

Alexandra said on August 26, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I've been trying to stay away from MAC as well too...unfortunately it's two counters down from me at work..LOL...I'm pretty sure I just want one thing, but I'm sure I'll change my mind once I get there!

Xo
Aleksis

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 26, 2009 at 3:02 PM

Aleksis you have amazing willpower if you're that close to a MAC counter every day and yet you manage not to purchase everything in sight! I'd probably purchase an item a day if I were by MAC that often =P.

Keely Valentine said on August 26, 2009 at 3:27 PM

i totally want to see that eyeshadow on!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 26, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Keely I'll give it a shot tomorrow and if it turns out halfway decent I'll post =P. You might have to wait until Saturday though.

Anonymous said on August 26, 2009 at 5:00 PM

I haven't picked up anything from the Makeup Art Cosmetics collections, but I agree that the Maira Kalman colors are so fun!
I have a couple of Technakohls and I really like them. They're nice and creamy.

*Jen* said on August 26, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Deb I love looking at them and at her painting, they're definitely of the uplifting variety.

I'm interested in trying more Technakohl shades - they seem to come in a nice variety.

Ying said on August 26, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Wooo. The yellow shadow looks nicer than my Yes. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it. Anyways. Love the green liner too. So tired X.X

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 26, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Ying your Yes looked so pretty on you! Take a nap, you need/deserve it!

Anonymous said on August 26, 2009 at 7:59 PM

i picked up the photo realism quad the other and now i'm absolute attracted by the crest the wave shadow and the personal taste gloss after seeing ur swatches. so i think i might go back for those soon. >_<

will u do an eye look with the crest the wave shadow anytime soon?!

Anonymous said on August 26, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I'm glad you got that eye liner! Such a pretty green! Try it on, take a pic and let us see... :) Take care!

Sunny

Syn@3sTh3sI@ said on August 27, 2009 at 1:15 AM

i like the eyeshadow! no idea whether is the eyeshadow arrived at my local MAC yet ?

gio said on August 27, 2009 at 7:11 AM

Nice haul! I haven't bought anything from this collection yet. I'm only interested in the Technakohl Liners as the colors are beautiful and bright. But I don't use eyeliners often so I not sure I could justify buying them. Just the odd one maybe.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Hey MEii!

The quads from this launch were really pretty and all very wearable. You should definitely go back and at least check out crest the wave and personal taste, I really love them!

I'll definitely try to have a Crest the Wave look up by this weekend!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Will do Sunny! Today I rimmed my eyes in it and I really like it - it's a nice bright pop of highlighter yellow green that's not too crazy.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Syn@3sTh3sI@ I can't remember if you're in the US or not. This should be at all the US counters, but I'm not sure about other countries.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Gio I really wanted the hot pink technakohl but I couldn't justify it as I couldn't really see myself using it.

T.R. said on August 27, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I just realized I have a really pretty yellow I got from TKB that I haven't tried. I'm going to try some of Ana's suggestions. OOOOO I can't wait.

I'm loving colors. I need to play more. I have soooooooooooooooooooo many eyeshadows and lipsticks. Because I work from home a lot I don't always have to put a "face" on so I need to just start playing to whittle down my collection....LOL

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on August 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM

T.R. what does TKB stand for?

I'd totally try out some crazy makeup looks if I worked from home! It'd be so great to just be able to go insane with color and not have to worry about disapproving stares from the higher ups.

T.R. said on August 27, 2009 at 7:15 PM

You know Jen, I have no idea what TKB stands for....LOL. It's a web site www.tkbtrading.com that sells wholesale mineral makeup. Ana did a piece on two makeup companies she believes, and I'm going to have concur, buys from TKB repackages and sales it as their own, at WAAAAAAY higher prices.

Their samples are $1.5 but you get the same amount as in a MAC pigment regular jar, if not more. Their 1 oz is $4 so you know that's alot of product.

I sent Ana some samples a month or so ago. I love them. Their colors are gorgeous, great quality and CHEAP. I usually only buy samples and that's still WAY to much which why I sent Ana the rest. I'd already made 5 grams jars and wasn't even near making a dent in them.

Because they are a wholesaler they even show you how to mix your own colors, etc. and sale the jars, baggies, etc. for very inexpensive.

*Jen* said on August 28, 2009 at 12:31 PM

T.R. good to know, I really need to check TKB out it sounds pretty amazing! I'm going to head on over to the site as soon as I have a free moment!


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!