So as many of you know, I'm in the midst of finals right now, which means TONS of time spent at the library and little to no access to my make-up stash. No blush, no gloss, no shadows--it's enough to drive a girl batty!!
I was seriously missing my cosmetics the other day, and so wandered over to CVS to see what I could get my hands on for a temporary fix :) The only thing that caught my eye was a pretty spring N.Y.C. mini-display. I'd never tried any of their products, so I figured now was as good a time as many to take the plunge! I initially picked up a pink loose eyeshadow (the packaging looked exactly like the Bourjois I used for my blue look the other day) and a face gleamer, but managed to talk myself out of buying another pink shadow somewhere between the cosmetics aisle and the cash register.
I chose the N.Y.C. face gleamer in First Romance (a shimmery pale pink with hints of silver and peach), mainly because the only other color available looked like 500 of my other blushes.
I'm sure you've all seen this type of packaging; the product comes through the puff and you apply it directly onto your cheeks. The idea is relatively simple, but I have to say the execution stinks in this case! It's pretty much impossible to get any product to come through the puff, and the only things that manage to squeeze through are bits of silver glitter.
But I'm not too unhappy because the powder itself is really nice and it only cost me $4,99! I've given up on the puff applicator, so I just unscrew the lid and use my blush brush with it. It's a gorgeous highlighter because there's no chunky glitter at all-it just imparts a lovely glowing sheen. I really love the way it highlights my cheekbones!
My favorite part of this product, though, is how versatile it is! Since I had no other makeup on me, I decided to apply this to my eyes as shadow, and to also try mixing the powder into my lip balm for a make-shift gloss. I have to say that overall it's a very pretty look!
Applied dry:

Applied wet (with and w/o flash):


On lips:

And swatches of course!
(dry on the left, wet on the right)


Applied wet (with and w/o flash):


On lips:

And swatches of course!
(dry on the left, wet on the right)

It's odd how the color looks so different on the different parts of my face, but that's part of the reason I like using it all over!
Tried these? Like the looks? Never even heard of N.Y.C. (like me)? Or just plain missed seeing me around my blog :) ? Tell me in the comments?
Tried these? Like the looks? Never even heard of N.Y.C. (like me)? Or just plain missed seeing me around my blog :) ? Tell me in the comments?




6 comments:
I already commented on tPF, but this powder looks so pretty! I guess it's similar to MAC's pigments?
Since I've spent so much $ at MAC the past few days (I bought a few more things which I posted about on tPF... I've been so bad, lol), I need to get on a makeup budget for the next few months! This seems really great for the price. It sucks that there's only two colors, for that price I wish there were more!
BTW, I wanted to ask you... do you depot your MAC shadows and put them in palettes? I can't remember if we talked about this before. With all the eyeshadows I've gotten recently, it's getting a little annoying to have to sort through my makeup bag and look at all the colors I have to choose from. The palette seems like a good idea, but I'm scared of the depotting process, and that I'll mess up the eyeshadows! If you have done it, is it easy?
OH! And I finally got my Ahoy, There! lipstick from NN in the mail, and it's such a beautiful pink! You have to check it out after finals, along with the amazing Dazzleglasses... I'm so addicted to them!
Super long comment, sorry... lol. I missed reading your blog though, so hurry up and finish your finals!
I love super-long comments since I always seem to give super-long responses :)
You should definitely get yourself to a MAC store and pick yourself up a big palette-with all the purchases you've been making lately you need it! I'm sooo jealous of how often you've been getting to the MAC store.
I really like this tutorial for de-potting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o--oPgjo43o
It's the method I use since I'm not so good with fire and hot things (I'd probably give myself a horrible burn)-it works really well for me and is relatively easy and quick. Having the palette really gives you much better access to all your shadows and makes it pretty impossible for you to forget what you have.
What I'm really curious about lately is pressing pigments! Have you tried this yet? I know you pick up a bunch of piggies lately so that may be something else for you to try ;) The only PIA is actually getting the little metallic trays to put shadows in. I'm waaay too cheap to buy perfectly good eyeshadow, dig it out of the pan, throw it away and fill it with new shadow.
These NYC cheek colors are okay, but don't even compare to MAC piggies! I say keep going for the MAC (I know I'm not helping!).
At this point I'm DYING to get to the MAC store. I'm so upset that all these great collections were released right around finals-thank goodness nothing's sold out yet!
I'm anxiously awaiting your receipt of my package-I hope it gets there in one piece :)
Yay! I love super-long responses!
Ok, so this is my next question... the palettes can only be purchased at a MAC Pro store right? I've been going to the MAC counters at Macy's and Nordstrom for the eyeshadows and lip stuff I've bought lately, but had to order most of the pigments (except 2 which by luck Macy's still had leftover from Heatherette) online. The Pro store nearest to me is about 30 minutes away (without traffic, lol so I'd have to go on the weekend), so I want to make sure before I go. The bad thing is my boyfriend wants to come along... so that means he'll be making sure I ONLY get the palette, and nothing else, lol. Can you also buy Pro pigments and shadows at the Pro store even if you don't have a Pro card? I'm such a newbie, I know. :/
Wow, I just saw the tutorial (without volume since I'm at work, lol), and that is perfect! To be honest, I was a little scared of using the candle method.
Did you B2M all of your empty eyeshadows after depotting? You should post pics of your palettes!
I haven't tried the pressed pigments, but I read a bit about it on Specktra. First I need to make it through the depotting of eyeshadows, and then I may try this!
I won't bother with the NYC cheek colors then... that saved me $10, and that's half way to a new pigment!
I can't wait til you get to a MAC store either, since I know you'll have some great entries for your blog!
I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my package! Hopefully, it arrives this week, so I can play with everything over the weekend.
I actually don't own that much MAC (especially their shadows) unfortunately, as I only got into it a few months ago. I was always such a huge makeup snob that I never really gave it a chance, but now that I have I'm completely in love! But once I have a better collection of shadows I'll be sure to post photos! :)
As for the palettes, they can be purchased at any stand-alone MAC store, even if it's not a Pro store. But if you're looking to pick up more pigments, there are many pigments that are Pro-store only (as well as some beauty powders, etc.) so it's definitely worth stopping by. But every pigment that's available on MAC's regular site should be available in stores. And even MAC stand-alone stores are cool because they carry certain products that counters don't (like Full Coverage foundation, etc.)
And you don't need a Pro card to buy anything at the Pro store :). I'm pretty sure you can even place phone orders-you'll have to pay for shipping, but with gas prices these day it's probably not as much as it seems!
My SO's the exact same way LOL. It's always, you don't need that. Another gloss?! Why do you need so many?
And I always try to B2M my empties (although sometimes I forget and dump them). I've actually never gone through a gloss, but I'm thinking of B2Ming some of them b/c I'm not real fond of the colors and never use them.
I can't wait to hear what you think of the DressCamp goodies and let me know how the de-potting process works for you!
Thanks for all the info! I will let you know how everything goes this weekend with depotting and the palettes. I'm going to try to do all my depotting before I go buy the palettes so I can B2M while I'm there.
I'll keep you updated on the Dresscamp stuff too! I gave my brother specific instructions to call me at work if a package arrives before I get home, lol.
That's a good idea! I need to B2M soon-maybe I can get some Naughty Nauticals stuff :)
LOL at your poor brother :)
Post a Comment