ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Kat von D Rock n Roll Palette (aka the Sephora 500 Point Palette) Review & Swatches


I was all gaga over this Kat von D Rock n Roll Eyeshadow Palette Sephora was offering as one of its 500 point gifts, and of course I had to get it even though I'd been hoarding my points for who knows how long.


So I'll bet you're all wondering, was it worth the splurge? Is it really worth 500 of your precious points that you've so painstakingly accumulated?


Wondering if the Kat von D Rock n Roll Palette actually rocked my world? Find out (and check out the close-ups and swatches) after the jump!



I bet you look at this palette and think fabulous hip packaging, some great wearable shades that aren't too crazy but not too boring either, plus a cute mini brush ~ what could be better, right? Well honestly, pretty much anything. I gave this palette chance after chance to at least make me fall in like with it, but it just wasn't to be.


The swatches above are of Believer, Confessional, Groupie and Motorhead, and all four shades were seriously unpigmented. I had to swipe at the shadow 3-4 times to get the amount of color I did above! Thanks to the lack of pigmentation, I found that these shadows lent my overall eye looks a muddy, dull appearance and really weren't very flattering at all.


Now I'm not judging the rest of Kat von D's products based upon this palette as I've heard that her regular palettes really are quite special, but I'm a little saddened that my introduction into the world of Kat von D was so lackluster.


The Verdict: Save your points for something better! I do really LOVE the packaging but the contents are less than stellar and really not worth spending those 500 points on.

 

21 comments:

Catherine said on October 13, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Aww, how disappointing. =/

Anonymous said on October 13, 2009 at 2:41 AM

thank you so much for the review! i love the regular palettes and were gonna splurge my points had i not read this review

. : * justine * : . said on October 13, 2009 at 3:14 AM

Like I said earlier, it sucks that this palette was not as awesome as her normal range of True Romance palettes, though I read somewhere that the 4 colours are actually eyeshadow duos in the regular line... and the duos suck so in hindsight I shouldn't be surprised.

I'm probably going to pass this on to a friend and continue hoarding my points for the next bonus.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 13, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Catherine it really was, especially considering how excited I was for this to come in the mail. I waited and waited and then...blah.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 13, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Sizbelle these really had so little color payoff that they really aren't worth my time to attempt to use.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 13, 2009 at 7:28 AM

Anonymous I don't entirely regret spending all my points because I'm glad to have tried it and the packaging is pretty, but had I known how unpigmented it would be, I'd definitely have saved them.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 13, 2009 at 7:33 AM

Justine they are in fact available as glitter/pearl combos in the KVD rock n roll eyeshadow duo collection.

I wonder why the quality of her shadows varies between her palettes and duos. That's so strange!

Didi said on October 13, 2009 at 12:23 PM

that's a bummer! I held off on these since I already have colors close enough with the ones in this palette.

Anonymous said on October 13, 2009 at 12:49 PM

You'd think they took a bunch of regular old Sephora shadows and shoved them in a KVD palette to create an attractive freebie. These look as cruddy as the one Sephora shadow I got years ago that I ended up tossing.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 13, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Didi I'm glad I tried it but I've pretty much refused to touch it since my first few attempts to make it work. It's just not worth my time!

Anastasia said on October 13, 2009 at 4:11 PM

If the rest of their products are much better, and the only created cheap crap for the freebie gift, I'd think much less of the company.

I'd almost prefer they were just crap at making make-up, to not bothering to make something good just because it's free.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 13, 2009 at 4:12 PM

LOl Deb! It's so disappointing that this is so pretty to look at yet so terribly unpigmented and essentially unusable, at least for me.

~Lisa said on October 13, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Aww, that's such a shame!! && you already used your precious 500 points on it!! Hopefully the next 500 points item will be much better.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 13, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Lisa I hope so too! I waited so long for something decent to pop up and of course was ecstatic to see it - so sad that it ended up being such a disappointment.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 13, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Ana so I've heard that while their palettes are pretty decent, the eyeshadow duos (which these are - just put together into palette form for some reason) apparently suck. I don't understand how one company's eyeshadows can be so inconsistent.

ezzie said on October 14, 2009 at 1:42 AM

awe /:
i had high hopes for this palette when i first saw the picture online :P
thanks for saving me some dough with this review (:

Marce said on October 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Awww that's not so good, the palette is so pretty, but, well...sometimes we don't get the best payoff. Like with MAC or other brands, you get the same results.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Ezzie I was really really excited about it too, but it really is dud. Save your points for something better!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Marce the palette itself is gorgeous in person. The packaging is spot on, has a nice texture, and even the eyeshadows themselves look so promising in the pans. Boooo!

Phyrra said on October 15, 2009 at 3:37 PM

wow just not that pigmented. gorgeous packaging though.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on October 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Phyrra I really loved the skull pattern and how it almost looked like pearls, but yeah, the shadows themselves kinda sucked.


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!