Urban Decay Complexion Primer Potion - Pore Perfecting ($30)Smooth on a little Complexion Primer Potion - Pore Perfecting before foundation (or alone!) to minimize the look of pores and fine lines. The velvety formula simmers down to a soft-matte finish—without the greasy, heavy feel sometimes associated with foundation primers. The result is flawless skin with an airbrushed look and feel. Foundation will go on smoothly, evenly, and won't fade away. Ideal for oilier skin, but dry complexions who want pore perfection will love it, too! The convenient squeeze tube includes a twist-up dispenser (like school glue!) for easy portion control.

I'm loving the whole 'Lab Sample' thing Sephora's been doing as of late ~ it's always fun to have the opportunity to test out new products before they officially launch, and it prevents me from spending money on a product I don't like and then having to return it. My latest lab sample was Urban Decay's recently released Pore Perfecting Complexion Primer Potion which I was expecting to be holy grail material. So was it?
A pea-sized dollop of the Pore Perfecting Primer ~ enough for your whole face.In short, no. I don't hate it, but I don't entirely love it either. My main issue with the Pore Perfecting Primer is its texture. I find it rather ironic that the people at Urban Decay chose to use the words 'school glue' in their product description, as to me that's kind of what the product feels like. Squeeze out a dollop of this product and you've got a really thick white substance in your hand that isn't really the most spreadable.
A little goes a long way so I usually squeeze out a small, pea-sized amount, rub it between my hands to thin it out and warm it up a little and then proceed to apply all over my face, focusing on the areas that have enlarged pores. The sensation of the product against my skin isn't entirely unpleasant, but it is a little heavy and I can definitely tell that it's there ~ it's got the same siliconey feel as Smashbox's PhotoFinish but a little heavier, and minus the weird greasy slipperiness.
A little goes a long way so I usually squeeze out a small, pea-sized amount, rub it between my hands to thin it out and warm it up a little and then proceed to apply all over my face, focusing on the areas that have enlarged pores. The sensation of the product against my skin isn't entirely unpleasant, but it is a little heavy and I can definitely tell that it's there ~ it's got the same siliconey feel as Smashbox's PhotoFinish but a little heavier, and minus the weird greasy slipperiness.
Partially blended ~ see how thick it is?Every morning I look in the mirror after applying this primer, and then my foundation on top, and think "Wow my skin looks amazing," and it really does for the first three hours or so. My skin looks smooth, even, nearly poreless and as close to flawless as it's probably ever going to get.
After a little more blending...However after those first few hours my face is a mess. Most of the foundation simply disappears, and what's left behind is this really greasy feeling that I can't shake for the rest of the day. The Complexion Primer Potion does make my foundation fade more evenly, but it also makes it fade more quickly than it normally would without primer. It also seems to mix in weird ways with the oils that my skin produces, so that my skin looks less oily but it feels 100x oilier than normal.
And fully blended in!I could forgive the thickness and heaviness of this primer if it were longer-wearing, and if my face looked as good during the middle of the day as it did at the beginning, I could even deal with the greasy feeling it leaves on my skin. I'm surprised and more than a little disappointed that I didn't love this, as I know that others have been raving over it and professing that they've found their end-all-be-all primer.
RATING: 3/5


I'll be ordering Urban Decay's Brightening Complexion Primer Potion soon - let's hope I have better luck with this one!


28 comments:
Oh, sorry it didn't work out for you. I was really excited to try this out but I kind of doubt it'll work well for me now... =/
Catherine I know this works great for a lot of people so it may be worth a shot. It just didn't feel comfortable on my skin, plus I also felt like it was clogging my pores a little. And I didn't like the way it looked when it was wearing off my skin throughout the day.
I had been wondering about this product- thanks for the review. Doesn't sound like it's something for me, I hate when I can feel stuff on my skin.
I actually have a full size of this product and the consistency is very different than the one you got. Mine is thin and easily spreadable. I suggest giving it a try in the store once its released just to see that it's not bad. It still may not be for you but the product that I have is definitely a different consistency.
Lori I tend to avoid primers because I inevitably end up being able to feel them sitting on my face, and my skin is sensitive enough as it is.
Thanks for the input It's Called Maintenance!
I'll definitely be trying the tester in store then, mine is like a super thick paste!
It does look like school paste. Mine is wateryier for sure. Very odd that the sample would be so different. Love your reviews BTW, I just wated to give you a heads up on this product since it caught my eye. :)
It's Called Maintenance I always appreciate hearing other people's opinions on products! :)
Mine is thick to the point where it's really really tough for me to get it out of that tube LOL - I don't know what's up with it! I'm definitely going to be keeping an eye out for this in stores so that I can try out the full-size.
Awww thank you for the compliment! <3 I absolutely LOVE your avatar photo that eye is hot!
I might give this a try, since my foundation is extremely long wearing and I'm not prone to the oilys as you are. I've been looking for something that will let my foundation sweep over my pores without settling in...
Ana this could be great for you then. It really does sweep over everything beautifully and if it weren't for the primer combining with my greasiness in weird ways, I think it would wear rather beautifully. I really do love the way my makeup looks when it's freshly done over the UD Primer.
I used Smashbox primer before, and even though it helped my foundation stay in place and keep my skin looking smooth and matte, I still had that weird oily feeling. I couldn't see the oil, but I had the feeling of it. So I know exactly what you mean.
Deb I'm glad to hear it's not just me! It was so weird, I felt a little crazy feeling so oily when I didn't really look all that oily. Definitely an unpleasant sensation though!
i was planning to get this to try from the us as we have no UD but i won't now. thank you!
Oh I was really looking forward to this primer but I don't know anymore :( I don't like the heavy feeling the Smashbox primer which is why I use the light formula. If this is heavier than I really don't think this will work out for me. I read reviews on Sephora and they were so positive and I was really excited for flawless skin. I'll have to try out a sample of this and see how I feel it this comes out.
jojoba you don't look to be as oily as i am so it could work for you as it really does look nice for the first few hours before my skin's oiliness starts going bonkers!
itsliz i thought i was crazy for not loving this but i checked the one review for this on MUA and that person really disliked it and felt almost exactly the same about it that i did so i feel less weird about it. definitely try a sample before you buy! :)
Darn, I was hoping this would work. *sigh* Back to the drawing board.
T.R. I'm going to be trying the brightening one, and I have high hopes for it!
I've seen this from other bloggers and this intrigues me as UDPP is my HG eye primer, thanks for the review
How does the lab sample thing work? Do you pay for the samples? My account says I am a VIB but I didn't get any e-mails... maybe it doesn't work in Canada >_>;;
Right now if/when I wear foundation I use the Korres primer which I like because it's light and it smells like oranges, but I used to use Lancome's La Base Pro... Mostly I am just too lazy to wear full foundation. XD;
Hope the Brightening one works out better!
I hear ya Jen, I'm going to wait on your report on that one. You and I ave that pore/oily skin thing going on so I really do value and trust your opinion.
Thanks for the review, I was interested in trying this but I'm not sure now. I hate it when the consistency is heavy and you can feel you have something on your face :(
Askmewhats the UDPP worked a lot better for me than this stuff. UDPP is pretty great for keeping the eye-area crease free!
Justine the lab samples are just samples Sephora makes available before the actual product is released. They'll send out a promo code and you just use it when you're placing an order. Do you have all the Sephora e-mails enabled on your account? I have a few problems with not getting all of their e-mails.
I really hope I love the brightening one!
T.R. I really appreciate that comment! Admittedly the oiliness of my skin has been going a bit bonkers lately, but this really didn't seem to help at all.
What I wouldn't give to have tiny, minuscule, invisible little pores!
Gio my samples was very very thick -- to the point where it was hard to get out of the tube.
My skin is really sensitive so usually if I can feel something on my face, that means that it'll probably give me hives =X.
LOL Jen, I hear you on the tiny pore thing. Ugggg. Mine are looking a little better lately. I went to my esthetician on Friday so my face is happy happy happy. I love her. LOL
T.R. I really need to make an appointment for a facial, I know my pores would thank me for it!
Post a Comment