ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15 Review & Swatches

Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15 in #1 Warm Ivory ($45)
A truly modern foundation: Skin Foundation SPF 15 offers invisible, weightless coverage that looks like skin, not makeup. This long-wearing formula evens tone, minimizes the appearance of pores, conceals imperfections, and offers broad spectrum UV protection. Its hydrating technology leaves skin feeling cushioned, comfortable, and clean.


I know that Bobbi Brown's Skin Foundation is recommended for normal to dry skin, but I couln't resist purchasing this for my dry yet oily complexion as I'd been hearing such good things about it. BB's Skin Foundation is an ultra-light water-based formula that hydrates our complexion, providing buildable coverage while leaving behind a nice dewy glow.


As the name indicates, Skin Foundation is supposed to mimic the appearance of healthy, radiant skin, but I was understandably skeptical since it's pretty rare that a foundation can really mimic the look of natural, bare skin. And is Bobbi Brown successful?


I'd have to say yes. The first time I applied this stuff I was amazed by how well it blended and how the formula just disappeared into my skin while still providing coverage. After hearing some griping about Skin Foundation's lack of coverage I was expecting super super sheer coverage, but in actuality you can build anywhere from light to medium coverage and that's enough for me on most days.

A blob of Skin Foundation in shade #1 Warm Ivory.

The somewhat runny formula slides on really easily, feeling really comfortable against my skin, and I'd have to say it looks pretty great on too. Immediately following application my complexion looks naturally dewy and polished while still looking like my skin (not some cakey, scary mess)--it just looks like I've naturally got nice skin! Skin Foundation skims over pores, tones down redness, and just gives skin an overall freshened appearance.

Half-blended.

Shade #1 Warm Ivory blends beautifully into my MAC NW 15-20ish complexion, but sadly this foundation isn't perfect. I love so many things about it, but the lasting power really just doesn't cut it for me, although I can't blame the foundation since this is meant to be hydrating and I have oily skin. After 2-3 hours, Bobbi Brown's foundation will start sliding around on m T-zone and it's all downhill from there. I can salvage my makeup by blotting with powder ever 2 hours or so, but honestly who has the time!

All blended and dewy!

Don't get me wrong though--while I'm having a little trouble dealing with Skin Foundation's lack of staying power, I happen to love this stuff! I fully intend to get through my bottle, although I just might save some of it for winter when my skin is dryer and definitely could use the additional moisture. If you veer towards the normal/dry end of the skin spectrum, this might be a really nice option for you since other than the sliding-off-my-face aspect of it, I really couldn't find much else wrong with Skin Foundation. The color stays true all day and it makes my skin look naturally beautiful--it's not necessarily perfect for me but it could be for you!


List of ingredients in case you're curious :)

 

12 comments:

Anastasia said on June 29, 2009 at 7:22 AM

ARRGGGHH. I just KNOW it's going to be my holy grail foundation! I can't affoooorrrddd ittttttttt. I'm definitely buying this and more of their corrector when I can, I loathe my MAC foundation.

I used to think my skin was combination, but now I think it's normal/oily nose. It's not very oily though, just like, if I cleanse, moisturise and use night cream in the morning my nose will be oily, but that doesn't happen during the day paricularly.

Hopefully this will stay on for me. Have you tried Estée Lauder Double Wear? That has really great staying power, it's my favourite foundation to date (since I haven't tried BB yet) but sadly their lightest shade is still too dark for me.

*Jen* said on June 29, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Ana thank goodness I got this during Bobbi Brown's discount event--gotta love a good sale!

LOL I say you burn your MAC foundation and pick this one up. Who needs to pay rent? ;)

This sounds like it should stay on for you. I can sleep without any moisturizer or anything on and still wake up oily.

I'm always a little leery of long-wearing foundations because they tend to make me break out pretty terribly for one reason or another, but I might give this a shot since so many people do seem to love it.

Connie De Alwis said on June 29, 2009 at 11:40 AM

On it's own, it's a pretty decent foundation. Nothing wrong with it but yes on the poor staying power part. IT's already hot and humid here! well, it was just very basic for me. no WOW factor unfortunately.

great to hear your side on it :)

Anonymous said on June 29, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Funny you should mention breakouts. I worry about breakouts every time I try a new foundation, but liquids seems to make me worry more than powders. I haven't used a liquid in ages. However, I think I need better coverage as I get older. I am also worried that eventually powder will start settling into any lines I get. I'll have to keep this one in mind, since it seems like it works really well for you.

Anastasia said on June 29, 2009 at 2:00 PM

My Esteé Lauder friend gives me samples of it 'cause I love it, but I've stopped asking. I don't want to buy a bottle of doublewear when the shade isn't perfect and I still have the horrid MAC foundation which is... usable, I suppose.

I'd have felt like a jerk if I kept scrounging samples without buying it. See if you can get one though :] get colour-matched at a counter and ask so you can test the longevity of it. :3

*Jen* said on June 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Connie I remember seeing your review a few weeks back when I was contemplating purchasing this!

*Jen* said on June 29, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Deb breakouts are a constant worry of mine, although for me mineral breakouts cause more trouble than do liquids. So many of them seem to give me terrible hives and rashes--even the ones that are supposed to be well-suited for sensitive skin. And of course I also get itchy skin.

Most liquids irritate my skin as well, so it's a happy thing for me when I can find a powder or liquid that just sits comfortable on my face, not feeling like much of anything at all.

*Jen* said on June 29, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Ana you have such gorgeous skin that I'm tempted to try it--especially since you happen to hate MAC foundations about as much as I do! :)

I always cringe a little when my friends tell me they love MAC foundations, because on me they're a disaster.

Anastasia said on June 29, 2009 at 8:14 PM

On me my MAC foundation has crappy staying power, average coverage, using powder products over it makes them congeal after about an hour and I get worn/spotty patches around my forehead, nose, chin etc where it's just disappeared by about lunchtime.

Their lightest shade for me is too dark, it makes me look orange when I use blush or contour powder on it and it's just generally bad. It feels thin and watery and doesn't make my skin look glowy or dewy or anything nice like that.

Doublewear lasted, looked great with powder on, and kept me looking matte for ages, I just wish they did a shade paler.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on June 29, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Ana I could deal with most of the MAC foundation's flaws, but for me the deal killers were the way it made my face itchy and break out in hives, and the orange cast it gave me face. No girl likes to look orange!

You really need to look into BB foundation since they come in all those super light shades for the fabulously pale like you. I'm so envious!!

Anastasia said on July 1, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Jennnn! I got another sample today, I swung by my friend's Estée counter after work and after chatting she'd said that I wasn't using the lightest foundation shade in Doublewear, she'd thought that one would be too pink so gave me the slightly darker, yellow-based Bone.

After trying the lighter one on my hand, it looked like a much closer match so I got a little sample bottle of it to take home and try =D Yaaaay. I haven't tried it yet - don't want to waste it with an evening application, but am hopeful!

*Jen* said on July 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Ana that's great! Let's hope this shade is perfect for you since you love the Doublewear so much. I really must remember to test it out the next time I'm near an Estee Lauder counter.

I've been playing around with Smashbox's new concealer and eyeshadow primer during each of my Sephora visits, and I'm contemplating a purchase.


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!