
This morning I happaned to glance across the subway car and saw a girl with not one but FOUR filled-to-the-brim makeup bags in her jumbo-sized purse. She proceeded to apply her Maybelline Dream Mousse Liquid Foundation with a sponge, then concealer, eyeshadow (three different shades), liner, powder, mascara, brow highlighter, brow pencil & gel, blush and cheek highlighter, some contouring powder, and gloss. Now I've seen many a woman apply her makeup on a subway car, but this usually consists of a little powder, mascara and lipstick/gloss, not a full-on makeup regimen!
I happen to think it's a bit tacky to be applying a full face of makeup in public (no offense to anyone!), but I also don't really see anything wrong with discreetly reapplying your lipstick or gloss (and if absolutely necessary, a little powder) throughout the day. What're your thoughts on applying makeup in public?
And yes it's almost Easter! :)
I happen to think it's a bit tacky to be applying a full face of makeup in public (no offense to anyone!), but I also don't really see anything wrong with discreetly reapplying your lipstick or gloss (and if absolutely necessary, a little powder) throughout the day. What're your thoughts on applying makeup in public?
And yes it's almost Easter! :)

50 comments:
i am shy about applying makeup in public...especially if there are other women in the women's restroom! i know it's weird, but it's uncomfortable if they are staring at you~ @__@ but if I see other people do it, I could care less!
Reapplying lipstick, gloss, or balm and blotting my nose with a blotting sheet is about as far as I take it public. I don't see how women can do a full face in public. I need a table with a decent sized mirror and some tissues handy. You don't get that on the subway.
IMO, lipstick is the only acceptable makeup to be applied in public. For the face, blotters are fine but not foundies. :)
Advanced Happy Easter :)
Hi Jen! Did you add the bunny ears to the compact? It's soo cute and funny!
I think it's a bit tacky too, but I usually give the person doing it the benefit of the doubt. I never know where they are coming from or going to and maybe just didn't have time to apply make-up at a more private setting (although you'd think they could duck into a public restroom).
I don't see anything wrong with applying makeup in public places such as on a train or airplane. I think think it actually makes sense to put your makeup on after a long trip than to wear it during a long trip.
If I'm super rushed in the morning, I try to at least do foundation and brows, and throw everything else into a little bag with me (blush, mascara, liner, lipstick) and apply in my office with the door closed... but I've definitely also done almost a full face in the cafeteria as well, lol. I don't really care if anyone is applying their makeup in public, so I figure why should anyone care if I do so? The only thing that stops me from doing it on a daily basis is lighting, mostly.
*cringe*
Lip products = yes, everything else = take it to the washroom! I've never understood people who can buckle down in the middle of a restaurant and proceed to apply a full face while they wait for brunch.
And on the subway?! What if you poked yourself in the eye?! x.x
Whatever you do, I think it's best done in the bathroom, to be honest. I think it's a bit tacky otherwise.
Hi,
Sometimes I get a little busy,i have to do my eye makeup or concealer on the train,but then at most it is 4 items or so,then i still get funny looks lol! Now that woman is amazingly brave.
reverpapillon i'm a little self-conscious about touching up in public out in the open, but i'm usually okay about doing it in the bathroom. i do prefer if there's no one else in there though! :)
Deb you could tell that this was an everyday routine for her--all her movements were so fluid and coordinated. Whereas I can barely manage to not fall out of my seat!
hi teeyah!
i rarely see people applying foundation in public--plus she really didn't need it because she had the most beautiful skin.
Yes I did Didi, thanks for noticing! :) I saw them and just had to find an excuse to use them somewhere lol.
I was just so fascinated by her whole process, she was so well-versed in subway makeup application. You could tell she did this often--she had her whole routine down pat. It was amazing how steady her hand was! I can barely manage to get my makeup done well while I'm stationary =P
Catherine I definitely do sometimes feel the need to apply makeup on an airplane. The flights to Korea are ridiculously long, and by the end of the flight I definitely don't look anywhere near as fresh and polished as I'd like.
Rae I'm always amazed at people who can apply mascara/liner while driving or sitting in a subway car! I seriously have a hard time with those two even when I'm sitting still, so it's out of the question for me to try to apply them while doing something else.
Phyrra I generally tend to be of that mindset too! :) Especially with guys around--don't want to take away from the allure of the finished product by showing them how it's done lol.
Hi Miss Waterlily! :)
I was amazing at the sheer quantity of makeup she had with her. I thought I carried a lot in my makeup bag, but what I have is NOTHING compared to her LOL! It literally looked like she carried every cosmetic item that she owned with her in her purse.
I have to agree. I find it tacky too. And wow, a full face in the subway? I've never seen that before.
Jnie I know it was rude of me to be watching her, but I was just so fascinated! :)
4 bags filled with make-up?! Wow. I wouldn't be able to put on anything else beside lip gloss in public. I have blotting sheets but feel embarrassed for some reason to use in public. What about combing hair?
Nicolle I used to have this habit of brushing my hair obsessively in public.
I'm embarrassed to use blotting sheets in public too, although I really need to at times since I do get really oily!
I'm too shy to apply makeup in public. Besides, I need a big mirror and decent lighhtning. I only reapply lipgloss or balm in public.
I have to lock myself up in a restroom cell when I am just applying mascara or lip gloss...
A quick rub of cheek stain in the public is alright for me, especially I do it "real" quite, like in 3 seconds...
Hmmm don't really know I feel about this...kinda apathetic, lol! I never do,(I usually excuse myself to the ladie's room for a touchup) but don't think I'd mind if I saw someone else doing it, unless it was at a dinner table or something?..I love her makeup bag too, and her top for that matter!
it's definitely a NO-NO!!! funny that you posted this as i am about to post soemthing related too. but it'd be another week before I do. :P
ok, i think 4 bags of mu is TOO MUCH!!! i only bring 1 lip product when i go out...
Rae mentioned poking yourself in the eye. That would be me! I have poked myself in the eye with my mascara wand several times just sitting in a chair. I would mostly like end up losing an eye if I attempted to apply mascara on a train.
Jen I'm going to have to agree with you. It's one thing to touch up, but putting on full face, I'm going to say that's TMI. It doesn't bother me but I would say there's something that feels slightly rude about it. Can't put my finger on it.
My questions is always why not wait to get to your destination to do all that. Or at least somewhere like a public restroom at McDonald's. LOL
cute @ kim's makeup pouch!
I don't think you should apply anything but lip products in public. Just wait until you're somewhere more private- the bathroom perhaps?
I do have the tendency to brush my hair in public and put on lip balm or gloss, but never a full face makeup as in my opinion it's a NO NO for me...
Touching up the lips, powder....that's fine. But bringing out your whole collection during lunch is a bit much!
If I needed to put my whole face on on the go, I'd go to a bathroom or something. But hey, more power to her for being so confident.
hahaha that's crazy! I guess I'm not shocked about the 4 makeup bags lol considering we ARE beauty bloggers after all.
But yeah totally agree..If you have makeup have the time to put it on then!
Personally all I do is blot and apply lipstick or chapstick in public. I'm shy about doing makeup in the washroom mirror, I imagine that it's very ostentatious and that people will be judging my makeup :S
I can't stand seeing people put on a full face of makeup (as you described) in public, I think not only is it really vain (sorry!), it's like she's not able to distinguish the public from private! One is supposed to appear in public all fantastic and done up ;) not to mention the funny faces made when applying mascara and curling lashes, ouch, those should be left at home.
I feel so awkward just reapplying lip balm in public!
I saw a girl applying her make-up on the train last week and I couldn't help but stare, lol.
Having oily skin sucks :( I always have to run off to the toilets to blot my face!
Gio lighting is definitely key for me too!
Citrine I always prefer a big comfy chair when I'm doing my makeup :)
Aleksis I've seen people touching up their foundation/powder/ other stuff in the middle of dinner. I always find that a little strange.
I love Kim K!
Jojoba we seem to have blog ESP lately! <3
Deb I always poke myself in the eye with larger mascara wands--there's no way I could apply mascara while in a moving subway car.
T.R. you put it so well! It doesn't particularly bother me either, but it does just seem strange.
Frosty it's on my wishlist!
Askmewhats I'm guilty of that as well!
Tanya it was seriously amazing how much stuff she had!
Ana she was definitely very very confident, which I totally admire her for! She was singing and dancing while applying the makeup in her seat =D
Kasumi I go pretty makeup-less most mornings because I'm in such a rush to get to work--I don't have the coordination to apply makeup on the go!
Theotherwordly there were definitely many many funny faces going on yesterday!
I tend to agree that if you want to wear makeup and look all beautiful, you should do it before you go out in public. I don't think a lot of the people you want to look hot for really want to see how the whole look is achieved =P
XOVINTAGELOVE I was definitely staring too, although I was trying very hard not to.
I have to do the same for my oiliness!
i totally agree! the most i ever do is lipstick/lipgloss, and that's it. if i need to touch up with some powder or anything else, i just wait til i go to the restroom.
Nicole I definitely tend to keep powdering restricted to the bathrooms too.
i do it all the time! I used to be able to do my ENTIRE makeup in the train but now I'll just finish up my mascara or lipgloss. And that's enough for people to look at me funny!
Connie you're brave! I'm always paranoid about people looking at me (yes I have issues LOL) so the most I can muster up the courage for (usually) is a little gloss or lipstick.
Post a Comment