ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Awake Reflectance Eye Stardom Palette in E-2 Glowing Gold Review, Swatches, and FOTD

Taryn's lovely package of Japanese goodness contained this beautiful Awake Reflectance Eye Stardom Palette in E-2 Glowing Gold, and since I've been using it non-stop since receiving it, I figured it was time I reviewed it for you!


Taryn and I had been discussing this palette at some point--she told me she thought I'd look good in these shades, and of course being the stubborn mule that I am I was skeptical! Jen looking good in anything other than pinks and purples? Say it ain't so! But of course Taryn, with her Yoda-like makeup wisdom, new best!


While this isn't necessarily the palette that I reach for when I'm going for a bright, night-out-on-the-town type look, it is the first palette I grab when I'm in need of a professional, work-appropriate but not too boring look. All of the shades pair together beautifully to create a subtle, understated eye that's polished and subtle, yet has enough pop to be noticed.

Swatches Under Different Lighting
L to R: Shimmering white, light taupey gold, coppery gold, brown with tons of gold flecks

Each of the shadows is beautifully pigmented and wonderfully shimmery without being gritty or too glittery. Check out the simple (and very understated) eye I created using the palette below!





I just had to add in closing that I absolutely love the little eyeshadow brushes that Japanese palettes often come with. They're so much better than the rubbish that high-end cosmetics companies such as Chanel and Guerlain include in their palettes, and are actually useful--what a concept!

 

20 comments:

Ahleessa said on January 21, 2009 at 12:22 AM

This looks good on you! I like the colors a lot... hehe~ :)

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on January 21, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Thanks Aly! It's so different from my usual looks (I'm back to pink today to match my outfit) but I really like it a lot!

Anonymous said on January 21, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Kayvid: Oh Gosh! The palette is stunning!!!

Anonymous said on January 21, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Kayvid: Jen, you HAVE to check this out...my lemming of the moment:
http://www.temptalia.com/stilas-precious-pearl-palette-kicks-off-spring-with-a-bang

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on January 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Kayvid isn't it? I never would've even looked at this since it seems to be mostly neutrals, but I absolutely love it!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on January 21, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Kayvid I saw that post and have been lemming the palette ever since too! It's in my Sephora cart at the moment and I may just get it so I can review it for you all!

BTW I picked up the L'Oreal compact and will be reviewing that.

Anastasia said on January 21, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Looks lovely on you, babe. My favourite thing about neutral shades like this is being able to use them to highlight and shade much higher up the browbone than I can with anything coloured, which is one of my favourite looks of late.

Anonymous said on January 21, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Kayvid: Yay!!! *jumps up and down*

Anonymous said on January 21, 2009 at 1:31 PM

I know I said browns don't usually look good on me, but I think these are nice because they have bits of shimmer. It's the matte browns I can't wear. All that shimmer is lovely, but I have to admit I am not used to seeing you wear these colors. You're right though. This would be a safe option for work.

Anonymous said on January 21, 2009 at 2:08 PM

why don't we get brushes like these? they're so cute, and are actually useful!

i love this palette! i'd use every color in it (which is saying a lot, since most of the time i only like one or two colors in a palette)... even though i have a million other colors that are so similar, lol. i really have to move away from neutrals, but it's so hard. yours eyes look beautiful, as always!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on January 21, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Kayvid I'll place my order for it today!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on January 21, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Deb I'm not used to this look either--I keep seeing this look as I'm scrolling down to the comments and it looks a little odd lol because it's just not my usual thing! But for those days I need a safe yet still "me" look (meaning shimmery) I love it!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on January 21, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Nicole the little brush is such great quality--I actually prefer it to all my MAC and other brushes for a quick makeup job!

I'm still jealous of your Beiges de Chanel quad which I've heard so many fabulous things about. Have you been neglecting it lately? Pull it out and use it! =D

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on January 21, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Thanks Ana! So I'm trying to picture what you're talking about but I can't =X. I'll just have to see if you have anything like it on your blog!

Anonymous said on January 21, 2009 at 5:56 PM

It looks good on you! I mainly just wear these types of colors :P

*Jen* said on January 22, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Frosty I've been meaning to try all your favorite MAC neturals/browns/taupes!

Anonymous said on January 22, 2009 at 6:41 PM

This palette is BEATIFUL! I love your EOTD. Is there anywhere you can get it online? I love neutral palettes... they're my guilty pleasure, I'll always buy them. (And the brushes it came with remind me of Dior's, a bit...)

*Jen* said on January 23, 2009 at 1:54 PM

So asiyakei I've looked and I've looked and I just can't find it! I do know that Bergdorf Goodman (not online but in stores) has a fabulous selection of Awake products, so you might want to give them a call and see if they have this palette since I'm sure that they're be more than happy to ship it to you!

Digital Angel said on January 23, 2009 at 8:11 PM

That is a pretty palette, it looks more glittery than shimmery. Ohhh I see your eyebrows too !! Thin eyebrows look good on you :D
You know I have been wanting more and more neutral palette!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on January 24, 2009 at 9:51 AM

DA the shadows look glittery in the palette but once on they're so smooth and there are no chunky glittery bits at all which is great!

I can't pull off thick eyebrows because they're very sparse and I have bald spots =X.


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!