ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Guerlain 'Meteorites' Light-Diffusing Perfecting Primer Review and Swatches

Photobucket

Guerlain 'Meteorites' Light-Diffusing Perfecting Primer ($65)

From Nordstrom: For skin that seems lit from within, apply this smoothing liquid to clean, moisturized skin as an essential first step in any makeup routine. The gel formula—the first makeup base with pearls of light—is made of an exclusive color-control base to camouflage blemishes and discoloration, combined with pearlescent extracts to capture and reflect light and blur the appearance of fine lines without adding shine. In one step, this extraordinary formula perfects the complexion, and can be used before makeup or on its own.

Photobucket

Remember my post about Guerlain's 'Meteorites' Light-Diffusing Perfecting Primer from last month? I'd put it out of my mind because of the high price, but while shopping Neiman Marcus's beauty event last week I happened to spot this at the Guerlain counter and couldn't resist playing with it. Basically the pearls are broken as you squirt you end up with pearly pink primer. Cool right?

I'd just gotten a huge squirt of product all over the back of my hand when the SA behind the counter asked me if I wanted a sample to take home with me . I was like, "What?!? YES PLEASE!!!" and happily walked out of the store clutching my very generous sample.

Photobucket

When the SA offered me the sample, I was in the middle of commenting to SO that what squirted out of the gorgeous packaging didn't look so appealing. I think I said something along the lines of, "It looks like I spread curdled milk all over the back of my hand." But looking at the photo above, I'm thinking it looks more like a very large booger. Either way, not too attractive!

BUT the magic came when I realized I'd applied too much product and tissued it off. I was left with super-smooth skin on the portion of my hand that the primer had touched!

The primer itself is a pearlescent pale pink/clear fluid that definitely gives your complexion a slight hint of luminosity. It's very liquidy/watery feeling, nothing at all like Smashbox primer's silicone-y texture. A little bit goes a very long way and you only need a very small amount of product to cover your entire face. While it's not going to conceal any blemishes, the slight opalescence of the primer results in a more even look overall.

Photobucket
See how it gives your skin a slight dewy luminosity? This is before I actually properly rubbed the primer in so it's a lot shinier than this would look on your face. Once applied, you probably won't see any shimmer at all.

I think that the Meteorites primer helps my foundation to stay put a little better, although I can't be sure since my face has just been behaving well in general lately. Also, it seems to help a little bit with keeping the oilies at bay, but again that may just be my skin behaving itself for once!

I'm tempted to purchase this because it feels great on my skin and smells great as well (it has the same faint rose scent that the Meteorites pearls have), but I just can't seem to get over the price!



Have you tried Guerlain's Meteorites Primer? Played with it at your local cosmetics counter? I'd love to know what you think of it!



Don't forget to enter my Giveaway for the Month of June!

 

14 comments:

Anonymous said on June 13, 2008 at 10:49 AM

As soon as I read the title, I thought you had purchased it! The picture of the blob does look a little weird, but I love the pink pearly color! It's beautiful. That was so nice of them to offer you a sample. I wonder if I can get one next time I go by Saks, I want to try it! I hate the price so much though, but I have a feeling I will fall in love with it... more so because of the pretty color. Great review, thanks! Something inside of me tells me that you will probably end up purchasing this soon. :)

*Jen* said on June 13, 2008 at 11:10 AM

I was pretty shocked when she offered me the sample, since I didn't know this SA at all and it was pretty obvious that I had no intention of purchasing anything. And the sample was so generous too! I've been using it everyday for a week now and I have 3/4 or so left. I'll definitely be going back to purchase things form her :)

It really is so expensive for primer! I do feel like I'm being silly since I slather tons of expensive items all over my face, but I've just never been that into primer so $65 seems like a lot to me!

I'm trying REALLY hard to resist purchasing this since I don't really need it but I WANT! :\

Anonymous said on June 13, 2008 at 1:53 PM

Thank you for your review on that, since I´ve been eyeing it also. I wish I could pay 65$ for it, but in Europe it is 70€, which is more than a hundred dollars, it is insane. I love to spend money on make up and skincare, but that is a lot for not much more than a nice bottle (but it is piiiiink and soooo pretty!!!)
I has not exactly helped that you like it ;)

*Jen* said on June 14, 2008 at 12:37 AM

That's insane Nell!!!

The packaging really is beautiful, and it's a good product but I don't know if I would ever be bale to bring myself to pay more than a hundred dollars for it. Ouch!! =X

Do let me know if you end up getting it though. I'm thinking it's almost worth the $65 price tag, and now that I know how expensive it is in Europe I don't feel so bad about wanting it :)

Anonymous said on June 15, 2008 at 1:10 PM

Ok, so I tried my best to get a sample of this yesterday while I was at the mall, but the SA said they didn't have samples of it, and she refused to make me one. :( I did try it on my hand, and WOW... I like it! BUT (and this is going to sound awful, lol), I could not bring myself to buy it. I did end up with some stuff from La Mer (Radiant Infusion, TM, and Cleansing Foam), but I just couldn't bring myself to buy the primer. :( It's the same price as the cleansing foam, and TM, but I don't know, lol. I really also wanted a sample so I could see how my skin would react to it, but no luck! Maybe I'll consider purchasing it if I get a gift card later on, but in the meantime I think I will be holding off.

BTW, did you finally receive the TM? I want to know what you think!

*Jen* said on June 15, 2008 at 3:12 PM

Ooooh Nicole you made some great La Mer purchases! I haven't gotten my TM yet which I'm a little bit upset about :( My Saks order confirmation said that it would arrive on Friday, but then my Fed Ex tracking says Monday. Also, SO had it shipped to his house meaning I probably won't get it until next Thursday :\

The more I use this Meteorites primer the more I like it. I don't know how much it's doing for keeping my foundation in place, but it feels great on my skin, smells great, and just makes me feel a little bit more glamorous, which is a large part of the point of cosmetics I think :) I'm a little broke at the moment, but I think I may be purchasing this for myself in a week or two.

It sucks that the SA wouldn't make you a sample!

My skin reacts to almost EVERYTHING, but the Meteorites actually seems to calm it. On days I'm in a rush I kind of use it as a super-light moisturizer and it feels great. No irritation, itchiness, break-outs, etc. so it seems to be a winner :)

I need to get myself a full-sized radiant infusion :D

Anonymous said on June 15, 2008 at 4:29 PM

I know! I kept pushing for her to make me a sample, but she refused. :( I was so disappointed. I'm officially putting myself on a budget for cosmetics each month, since I've gone way overboard. I actually got one other thing yesterday from LV... I'll give you a clue. You got it recently, and I told you I had been in love with it, but was going to save to get it eventually. Well, I was JUST browsing (I swear!!!), and I freaked out when I saw it on display, since I kept hearing they were hard to find. With some encouragement from my mom (a huge enabler! lol), I ended up taking the plunge, and I bought it. No wonder it's so hard to find, it has officially become my favorite, and I can't stop staring at it.

Anyway, I'm sure by now you figured it out. :) It's scary that we have such similar taste, and not just in cosmetics, lol. So this time I'm banned for real. I don't know what to do about tomorrow with MAC's F&F. I will probably just end up with some mascara, since I'm addicted to the Plushlash, and the only other thing I wanted was the Volcanic Ash but it's still sold out. :(

Will you be getting anything else?

Anonymous said on June 15, 2008 at 4:33 PM

Oh, and you need to try to get a hold of the TM sooner! Thursday is too far away. :( At least you'll have it in time before going away for the weekend!

*Jen* said on June 15, 2008 at 9:25 PM

It's so hard to put yourself on a cosmetics budget! I feel like because individual things don't cost as much as purses do, I end up going way overboard!

And great purchase of course! Isn't it gorgeous? I've been using mine non-stop since I got it. It's such a practical bag, plus it's so pretty, I absolutely love it! I get so many compliments on mine.

It really is scary how similar our tastes are :P At least I know who to turn to when I feel the need to buy something for myself.

So I went to the L'Occitane store for their friends and family, and really wanted their Velvet Concentrate but decided against it. Then I regretted not getting it (of course!) so decided to go online to get it, then saw that shipping's $10. I might as well just get it for full price in person after F&F since it'd only cost me a penny more! :\

It sucks that Volcanic Ash is so hard to find!

*Jen* said on June 15, 2008 at 9:26 PM

And I want my TM now!! I'm dying to try it, and I have absolutely no patience for waiting for things to come in the mail :P

Anonymous said on June 16, 2008 at 8:26 AM

I've only ever tried L'Occitane's Shea Butter stuff, but now is not the time to experiment, because I know if I did I'd want to buy the whole store, lol. I've only heard great things about their products though.

Shipping has gotten outrageous on every site! You're better off just going in person, like you said.

I'm so glad MAC offered free shipping with their F&F. I didn't get much... just 2 more Plushlash, another Slimshine (Bare), and Viva Glam VI SE. I was going to get the 187, but decided to hold on off on it, since I budgeted $50, lol. For once I stuck to my budget!

Yes, the bag is amazing! What size is yours? I ended up with the PM. Originally wanted the GM, b/c I love big bags, but it was a little too big, and it won't fit in my drawer at work, lol. I keep my bag in a locked drawer while at work, since I'm super paranoid. I'm surprised it fit all my stuff, since I tend to carry sooooo much, and it doesn't look like it fits that many things.

Hope you have a nice Monday!

*Jen* said on June 16, 2008 at 3:24 PM

You got great stuff as always Nicole!

I'm actually having a pretty terrible Monday :(. I found out last night that sometime on Friday I lost my laptop power cord. I drained my laptop battery last night and haven't been able to use it since (I'm on SO's computer right now) so I haven't been able to do anything! Plus I had to purchase a new power cord for $70 :\ I'm not happy about it at all-the money would've been so much better spend on something else.

I have the PM too! I liked the GM but like you I thought it was a little too large. I felt like it would be perfect as a weekend or vacation bag though!

I hope you're having a better Monday than I am. I had some Cool Heat swatches to post but thanks to all my issues I haven't had a chance to put them up yet.

Anonymous said on January 15, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Hello
I bought this product in Singapore at the airport, it was in August. Now it is mid January next year and the product is almost finished. It lasted for long as you need only small amount every day. I like it a lot. It gives a bit of mat to my skin and also at the same time has a lovely shine but my face does not look like sweaty:)I am going to buy a new one, they also have one with golden pieces so you can choose what you prefer.
x

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on January 15, 2009 at 12:15 PM

Hi Anonymous!

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us! I never did pick up the full-sized version of this although I came close many many times--I just could't bring myself to splurge because there were so many other products I wanted.

Thanks to your comment I feel like I need this once again!


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!