ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

ABS's Favorite Facial Treatments Part I: The Aspirin Mask

Photobucket

Remember when I promised to go through my favorite scrubs, masks, and other facial treatments over a month ago? Well it's been sitting on the back-burner for weeks, but I've finally gotten around to doing it! :)

First up is a super cheap and effective at-home DIY treatment, the aspirin mask. When I feel a break-out coming on, or my complexion just needs a quick pick-me-up, this is what I turn to. Because aspirin is a derivative of salicylic acid, this mask is absolutely amazing for keeping your skin clean and clear!


So how exactly do you make an aspirin mask? Read on to find out!!

Photobucket
1. Shake out 4-5 uncoated aspirin tablets onto your hand or a small mixing dish.
I use these cheap ones from Walgreens-500 tablets for $3.99!

Photobucket
2. Place a drop or two of HOT water onto each tablet.
Cold or lukewarm water won't work here!

Photobucket
3. Once the tablets are melted through (if your water was warm enough, it should only take a few seconds), crush them the rest of the way with your fingers. You should end up with this aspirin paste.

4. Add the mix-in ingredient of your choice. I like Cetaphil because it's gentle and gives my aspirin mask an exfoliant-like consistency without being too runny. Other favorites are honey, yogurt, and Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask.

Photobucket
5. You can use the resulting mixture either as an exfoliator, a mask, or both!
I tend to smear it all over my face, exfoliate with it for 30 seconds or so, then leave it on while I'm brushing my teeth.

6. Rinse off and you've got instant baby-soft skin!!


One minor caveat: If you've got aspirin allergies, obviously this may not be the best mask for you!



Have you tried the aspirin mask? What's your favorite variation?




 

8 comments:

Anonymous said on June 12, 2008 at 8:36 PM

Thank you for this! I did try the asprin mask once with my Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask, but the asprin was not uncoated, so I guess that's why I didn't notice much of a difference. I love how you mixed it with Cetaphil, nice alternative! I'm definitely going to try this out over the weekend with Cetaphil. My skin has been acting up since yesterday thanks to it being that time of the month. :(

*Jen* said on June 12, 2008 at 9:07 PM

I've tried mixing it with some more expensive masks but I've found that for me, the best combo is just simple aspirin and Cetaphil.

My skin has been acting up lately too thanks to my PMS, which is why I've been using my aspirin mask and my ExfoliKate regularly :)

I hope that at least you're not having terrible mood swings! :)

Anonymous said on June 13, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Jen, I have been trying with honey for 3 days now ... it works like wonders. My small pimples on my forehead r slowly vanishing n my nose is smooth - no blackhead ! I love it !! I wish I know this stuff when I was younger ^__^ *arrghhhh I feel old*

*Jen* said on June 13, 2008 at 9:05 AM

LOL Francesca being young at heart is all that matters!

There are so many things about skincare that I wish I'd known when I was younger. My skin would probably be in much better shape!!

I love the aspirin mask both for its cheapness and the fact that it really works! Be sure to not dry your skin out though!

Anonymous said on June 13, 2008 at 11:10 AM

lol thanks jen.
so every other night is that ok ?
jennn, im still in the hunt for primer ... saw ur post bout guerlain - cant justify the price. leaning towards shu uemura. tried for twice on different occasions. its ok ! but still afraid to buy it ^___^

*Jen* said on June 13, 2008 at 11:13 AM

hey again francesca!

if your skin is acting up, i'd use it every day or every other day for a week or two, and then perhaps limit it to twice a week or so just so your skin doesn't develop a sensitivity to it.

unfortunately i've never really tried a primer that i've loved. smashbox's primer actually makes me super-oily which completely defeats the purpose, and yes the guerlain is super-expensive!

if you've tried the shu uemura and liked it (and didn't have a reaction to it!) then i'd definitely purchase it! it's so hard to find a primer that works for you, so if you've found it go for it!

Anonymous said on June 14, 2008 at 11:34 AM

I love the aspirin mask and I use it with Cetaphil as well. Cetaphil is my #1 cleanser..but I really like some of the Shiseido products my mom has bought for me. I don't use it everyday though. Cetaphil is much cheaper :P

The aspirin mask totally helps my skin..I have been breaking out just starting on Tuesday of this week due to stress from finals, being sick and having my period. All at once.. :( Have a nice day Jen! <3 your blog

*Jen* said on June 14, 2008 at 1:21 PM

Hey Frosted! :)

Unfortunately I'm not too crazy about Cetaphil as a cleanser for me (only because I have issues with nasty little blackheads and all that and it doesn't give me as deep a clean as I need), which is why I was so happy to discover that it worked perfectly with my aspirin mask! :)

Shiseido does make some great products!

I hope you're not too too stressed! It sucks to have all of that at once-hopefully at least in terms of being sick you're feeling a little better! Make sure you rest up for finals and take care of yourself!

I hope you have a nice day too! Make sure you mother pampers you and takes good care of you since you're sick ;)


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!