ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Perfecting Pink: Urban Decay Lipsticks in Naked & Lovechild Review + Swatches

Urban Decay Lipstick ($22)
Leaving no shade unturned, our huge assortment of colors and textures tempt you to stray from an otherwise predicable palette. The luxuriously creamy formula nourishes and protects lips with Vitamins A, C, and E. Hyaluronic Spheres (found naturally in the body) are added to stimulate cellular function, prevent dehydration, and fill-in lines and wrinkles—now, how many Lipsticks can do that?! The teardrop-shape bullet (etched with an Urban Decay logo) is infused with a decadent crème caramel scent and flavor. Yum.

I'm on a perpetual hunt for that perfect shade of nude pink - that holy grail "my lips but better" shade that will give my lips the subtle enhancement they need without screaming "I'm wearing lipstick!" to the world. Well I'd say search over (or at least temporarily halted) thanks to Urban Decay's wonderful lipsticks which I've waited way too long to try!

Lovechild on top, Naked on the bottom.

The packaging on Urban Decay's lipsticks is unique, stunning, and difficult not to love. I know there are those of you that dislike the impracticality of having to pull out your lipstick by a tiny little not-so-finger-friendly spear, but I for one couldn't care less - I'm all about the pretty!

Close-up of the etching on the Urban Decay lipsticks (Lovechild on top, Naked on the bottom).

These wonderfully creamy, glossy, hydrating lipsticks also have the Urban Decay logo etched onto the sides of the lipsticks, a small touch that again brings on that warm fuzzy happy feeling.

Close-up of the mini gunmetal dagger pull.

But of course a lipstick is nothing if its formula is rubbish ~ and thankfully Urban Decay's is rather wonderful! Naked and Lovechild both impart a beautifully glossy sheen to the lips while leaving them sheathed in wonderfully hydrating color.

The one negative that I've been hearing a lot about this formula is the scent/flavor. The Urban Decay lippies have a very distinct caramel flavor which I actually quite enjoy, but I know there are others out there who just can't get over the intensity of it, so this may be one of those products you definitely want to sniff/test before buying.

Swatches: Naked (left), Lovechild (right)

So of course, onto the colors! Naked is a full-coverage nude pink that has been touted by so many as their HG my lips but better shade, and I'd have to say it gets pretty close to that status for me as well. My lips bring out a little more of the nude than the pink in Naked, but all in all it's a shade that succeeds in subtly enhancing my natural lip shade.

Lip Swatch of Naked.

Lovechild is a semi-sheer light cool pink shade that, compared to Naked, has more of a milky mauvey tinge to it. I happen to absolutely adore this shade on my lips. It's a little lighter than my natural lip color but super-flattering nonetheless and really give my lips the illusion of lushness/plumpness that I'd be crazy not to love!

Lip Swatch of Lovechild.

The Verdict: Urban Decay's Lipsticks are really rather reasonable at $22, especially consdering how wonderful their formula is. Two things to keep in mind are that it's rather strongly scented of caramel so if you're not into scented products, this may be a no-no for you, and also that it is a glossy/creamy formula, meaning that this isn't going to be nearly as long-wearing as other lipsticks you may have. I definitely plan to check out many many more of the Urban Decay lipstick shades, and thanks to Elaine for sending these two to me!

 

32 comments:

Anastasia said on September 14, 2009 at 10:30 AM

You should try out their lip primer, too. It's sold I think just as an SPF product, but when I used it over my lips it created like a waxy film, and when I then used one of my cheap NYX lipsticks over it, it went on great.

Normally the NYX is pigmented but thin, so it wouldn't smooth over my lip's imperfections like a thicker lippie like MAC would, and I'd have to use another lipstick first or something, but the primer eliminates that problem, whether it was ever meant to or not!

There's a new sleek product out for lips I'm going to review shortly, too :]

T.R. said on September 14, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Okay I've been hearing great things about UD's lipsticks. I'm really liking these two colors.

Okay they are officially added to "the list".

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 14, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Ana I've fallen off the blogging horse as of late but I'm feeling re-energized and ready to get back on! It's not so much that I've stopped blogging but my heart just hasn't been in it and I've been terribly lax about responding to comments.

That Urban Decay lip products sounds really great, I'm definitely interested in checking it out for myself, especially since I've been wanting to try a lip primer for the longest time.

I'll be on the lookout for that Sleek lippie review! I've always wondered if they made other products.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 14, 2009 at 10:58 AM

T.R. Lovechild was on my "want" list for months; I'd play with it every time I was at Sephora, but I just couldn't bring myself to purchase it for some reason! The majority of my lippies are Chanel/Dior and I guess my inner makeup diva was just balking, shame on me! These are such wonderful products, especially as I'm all for a moisturizing lippie.

T.R. said on September 14, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Jen, I totally understand. I hope your okay. You know I'm noticing a lot of bloggers and gurus are feeling a little "blah" lately. Take whatever time you need. :O)

VampiressDoll said on September 14, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I love UD Lipsticks, I only own one at the moment though. I'm hoping to get confession next, and maybe a nice pinky nude. :)

Catherine said on September 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Hm. I've never really considered UD for lipsticks, but these look really lovely!

Unknown said on September 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Great review - I've been interested in trying UD lipsticks for months now, and you've given me the inspiration to go for it! :-)

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 14, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Talia I thought all of the fashion week events would be energizing/motivating/inspiring, but it seems to have had the opposite effect.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 14, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Hey VampiressDoll! Aren't they great? I highly recommend Naked for that nice pinky nude you're considering, it's perfect!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 14, 2009 at 1:47 PM

Catherine I never really paid much attention to Urban Decay in the past, but they've consistently been impressing me with their products lately. You really need to try them!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 14, 2009 at 1:53 PM

Thanks Monica! Definitely go for it, they're a good deal considering the great formula and beautiful packaging, and they come in a really fun range of shades!

Anonymous said on September 14, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Both colors are lovely, but probably too light for my lips. I played around with their lipsticks during one of my last Ulta visits, and they are very glossy and moist. I think I want to try the new sheer bordeaux one they have called Confession.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 14, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Deb I saw Confession on the lips of a fellow blogger just a few days ago who has coloring similar to yours, and I must say that while it scared me a little in the tube, it looks absolutely amazing on her! Definitely made me want to check it out for myself.

Unknown said on September 14, 2009 at 3:49 PM

mmm looking at the lipsticks I'd vote for Naked, but once swatched then on lips I'm going for Lovechild. But caramel scent? Haven't tried, but I'm not sure I'd get used to it >< aww and that lil sword! I wouldn't be able to put it standing on my table , dammit...so frustrating XDD

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 14, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Mary I kind of felt the same way about these.

Lovechild definitely looks brighter in the tube than it does on the lips or even in swatches for some reason. They're both really beautiful pinks though, and what's great is that they're very neutral shades meaning they're easy to pull off.

You can place the lipsticks on your counter on the bottom end of the cap, although it's a little annoying as you're then concealing the name of the shade.

I highly recommend giving these a sniff before purchasing though as the scent isn't for everybody!

gio said on September 14, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Thanks for the review. Both shades look lovely! I've heard great things about Urban Decay lipsticks and I'm rally curious to try them but the scent puts me off a bit. I can't stand heavily-scented lip products.

*Jen* said on September 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Gio I usually don't really love scented lippies but I actually like the caramel, probably because I like anything that reminds me of candy! And of course the formula is wonderful. But I've also met so many people who've told me that they just can't get over the scent/flavor of the Urban Decay lippies.

Petitte Poupee said on September 14, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Naked looks really pretty on you. I might try this when Urban Decay has family and friends sale ^^

*Jen* said on September 14, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Hey Petitte Poupee!

Urban Decay's latest F&F just ended a few weeks back, but hopefully they'll have another one soon!

Marce said on September 14, 2009 at 9:01 PM

I'm sooo tempted by UD but so sad cos it's not available here in Argentina (sorry if I've said this again and again!). These lipsticks look gorgeous, specially Naked. Gorgeous!

*Jen* said on September 14, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Marce they really need to start carrying some of these great brands in Argentina!

I always love hearing what is or isn't available in other countries though. And I'm sure you have fabulous products there that we don't have here!

Kasumi said on September 14, 2009 at 9:59 PM

I've never been really a fan of any of urban decays packaging "/ buttt the colors are very lovely on you.
I especially like lovechild on you!

*Jen* said on September 14, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Thanks Kasumi! I think the packaging on this is really fun, but not the most practical.

barbie_slayer said on September 15, 2009 at 2:15 AM

WOW! Both of these colors look gorgeous on you!!

Nicole said on September 15, 2009 at 10:01 AM

really loving both of these lipsticks! thank you again for recommending them to me, or else i probably never would've purchased them. :)

Anonymous said on September 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM

I think Confession is on the sheer side. At least it's labeled as such on UD's website. If that's the case, you could probably wear it too.
As for me, I would still wear even if were opaque. I wear Chanel's Rouge Noir/Vamp lipstick all the time.

*Jen* said on September 16, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Thank you barbie_slayer! I'm all for easy to pull off soft pinks!

*Jen* said on September 16, 2009 at 10:00 AM

So glad to hear it Nicole, you were definitely on my mind as I was typing this review. They're two really pretty pinks that are perfect for any occasion!

*Jen* said on September 16, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Deb Confession definitely had that sheer berry stained lip to it that was so so pretty, but I find it hard to break away from my pinks. I swear I have a million variations on the soft pink lipstick and they probably all look exactly the same =X.

Elaine Katko said on September 25, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Glad you love them Jen! I really love the packaging too...but wasn't really crazy about Naked on me. I'll need to go try some more colors. :-)

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 25, 2009 at 9:56 PM

Shakti definitely give some other shades a shot! The formula on these is so great.


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!