ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Do Samples Make You Buy?


I'm a self-confessed beauty addict and sample hoarder ~ nothing makes me happier than going cosmetics shopping and coming home with a bunch of random samples to try! Which got me to thinking, how often does a sample actually lead to a product-purchase for you?

With me I'd say I end up purchasing the product a good 50% of the time. Sales associates are often very reluctant to hand out samples of products and this really confounds me since it's not as though the samples are coming out of their salary ~ samples are exactly that, samples, and they're meant for potential customers to try!

Samples that I'm currently testing out and loving are:

  • Chanel Sublimage Eye (this is beautifully emollient yet not too heavy)
  • Jill Stuart Powder Foundation
  • Rock & Republic lipgloss

What samples have you tried recently and loved? This summer the SO got me a sample of the Clarins SPF which I fell in love with and ended up purchasing two bottles of, and I know there are countless other products out there that I've purchased because I loved the sample. Yay samples!

 

34 comments:

Ying said on September 25, 2009 at 1:32 PM

Nothing really impress me lately. I really want to try la mer eyecream sample thou. But have not got around to get one. Not even sure if la mer gives out samples or not.

Tracy said on September 25, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Yes! Good samples make me buy & buy... I agree that SA seems so reluctant to give out samples which really makes samples worthless & meaningless. I have to say some companies are really stingy on samples and restrict their SA & also to prevent SA from pocketing the samples. I recently tried samples of Khiel's whitening range & I am quite keen on their products ( they keep a record of what samples are given to a specific customers). Samples are wonderful for my sensitive skin.
=D

♥ mia said on September 25, 2009 at 1:50 PM

hmmm for some reason i usually end up not even using the samples themselves. i'm so OC about product containers. i don't like using lotion/toner etc out of sachets. too messy! so i don't bother anymore :P

but i do have some MMU samples right now inside ziplocked baggies. let's see how those work out for me :P

. said on September 25, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I usually only ask for samples if I have an intention of already buying the product. If it doesn't irritate my skin, and feels good then I'm all for it!

And I know what you mean. I think it's secretly so they can hoard them, and maybe sell them off on their blogs or something?

Anonymous said on September 25, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Occasionally I buy something I sampled. However, it is typically products that provide an immediate result that I end up purchasing based on samples. I find that I can't really get a feel for the results of a skin care product from a small sample. A mascara sample, however, is different. I'll know within one day of wear if I like it or not.

CC said on September 25, 2009 at 3:20 PM

I just got a sample of the Korres Guava Body Butter after purchasing their primer. The primer is absolutely amazing and I love the body butter. Also just got some Clinique samples I still haven't tried yet.

They suck me in with those samples! I find myself purchasing more often when deluxe samples are offered, even when I don't need anything at the moment, just to get the free goodies!

And I too usually end up purchasing the product at LEAST 50% of the time. I don't understand why they are so reluctant sometimes to hand them out. To me they are a way of trying things out first and if they are so confident in their product they should have no problem giving little samples away :)

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 25, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Ying La Mer definitely does give out samples - just make sure to sweet talk the SA and hopefully you'll be walking home with a handful of new La Mer goodies to try!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 25, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Tracy I generally don't ask for samples but I really do appreciate the SA's who give them out of their own accord. If a customer is expressing a lot of interest in a product I think it's good practice to give them a sample to try!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 25, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Mia I'm with you on using lotions out of little packets - it is rather messy and annoying. A lot of products I end up trying once then dumping b/c they dry out in the packet!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 25, 2009 at 4:18 PM

Jian I'm the same way but sometimes if I can't get a sample of something I won't buy it because I don't want to waste my $200 on a cream that could potentially cause me to have a bad allergic reaction.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM

Deb luckily the SA's that I love are generous with the samples and will give me a few, because you're so right that you really can't get a good idea of what a skincare product can do for you after having used just one sample of it. I'm more concerned about things giving me hives than anything else LOL!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 25, 2009 at 4:20 PM

CC doesn't Korres make some fabulous products? I really love their body washes!

I think samples are so important when it comes to products you'll be putting on your face, especially if they're pricier. I'm always hesitant to splurge on a really expensive product without having first found out whether or not I'm allergic to it. That seems reasonable enough to me!

Ying said on September 25, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Okay. When I go pick up my shu holiday collection I will ne sure to stop by la mer to ask for eyecream sample nicely. Oh I did get a guerlain foundation primer in a cute bottle. But I don't wear foundation enough to s
tell if that thing works or not. It looks pretty thou

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 25, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Ying good luck with that! The La Mer counters are usually pretty generous with the samples.

Anastasia said on September 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Well, of course it all depends on the product. If the product is amazing and I can afford it (whether it's expensive or not, if I can physically pay for it) and I'm made aware of this information, I'll buy it.

Sampling is probably the best way for a company to let me know their product is great.

~Lisa said on September 25, 2009 at 6:42 PM

OMG! I absolutely love samples! I have a whole box full here! Recently I've been loving the Kat Von D Concealer and the Lorac Natural something Oil-Free Foundation! So gonna purchase it soon!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 25, 2009 at 8:43 PM

So true Ana. I really like to try a product before I invest in it as I guess I can tend to be relatively picky.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 25, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Lisa I have boxes and boxes of samples too! I have yet to try a Kat von D product but I'm excited to try the 500 point palette.

Laura said on September 25, 2009 at 9:02 PM

I am a hair care junky, and I got a sample of Living Proof Frizz (or anti-frizz I suppose as it is crossed out) and I'm sorta loving it. I'm not sure exactly where to fit it into my routine yet, but I'm thinking it will be worth buying to try out!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 25, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Ooooh Laura I have that too and I love it! I spritz a ton of it into my hair and it looks fabulous regardless of whether I blow dry or let it air dry. It's great!

AskMeWhats said on September 25, 2009 at 11:13 PM

I am a samples freak, if I'm reluctant to purchase a product but seen a great sample that goes with purchase, I'll purchase the product 75% of the time!

On sample I've tried that led me to 2 purchases is Clinique's Dramatically Different Lotion and Moisture Surge! I'm on my 3rd KIT because of samples!

I know what you mean about sales lady being hesitant to give out samples, it's the same all over the world I guess

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 25, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Askmewhats I really wish that's something that brands would work on. Getting samples can be like pulling teeth! It really shouldn't have to be such a painful experience.

Alexandra said on September 26, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Everything Deb said lol/mainly mascaras and foundations/skincare not usually!

Rapunzelle said on September 26, 2009 at 6:08 AM

Oh, I really love samples! The problem with most of the beauty supply stores here is that most of the samples they give out are of perfumes... maybe not a problem for most, but since I have a rather peculiar taste in fragrances I more often than not end up disliking them~ Oh well, none the less I'm always thankful when getting samples =)Have a nice day!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 26, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Aleksis Deb is always full of so much wisdom and practical advice. Love her!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 26, 2009 at 10:03 AM

Rapunzells I have to say I'm not a huge fan of fragrance samples - they're just not as fun as the others!

Lolo said on September 27, 2009 at 12:49 PM

ooohh I love samples! I recently tried some of the sephora brand lip gloss samples, but I have to say, they were too sticky and a bit cheap feeling if you know what I mean! but they were beautiful colors!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 27, 2009 at 8:53 PM

The Makeup Maiden I've never been a fan of Sephora's house-brand makeup products, but I do love their stores oh so much!

T.R. said on September 28, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Depends on the sample for me. But Jen how is that R&R lipgloss? Aren't they devine. I didn't know they had samples. My current samples I'm trying are the ones I got from Clarion when I bought the sun screen (have I told you lately how much I love it...I owe you Jen Jen :O) anyway I got a sample mascara which ... OMG is amazing it's called Wonder Perfect mascara. The things it does to my lashes could be considered a sin in some places....LOL. And the regular size comes in a red tubing. I'm going to get it for those two reasons alone. LOL This one may become second next to my Lacome HG mascara L'Extreme.

The other sample I'm trying is the Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch. It's kind of like a pore line perfector. I like it because it's colorless based and that means anyone can use it with any foundation. I'm still testing it though.

Oh yes and my sample Le Mer. I'm in love just with the smell alone. LOL but I'm trying to conserve it until infinity that I'm probably not seeing the type of results I would if I'd just use it day and night like I should. But I definitely like how my skin feels when I use it.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 28, 2009 at 2:24 PM

T.R. I don't even know where I got this little mini tube of R&R gloss but it seems to have magically appeared in my makeup stash, not that I'm complaining! It feels so great on, I'm really enjoying it.

So so so glad you're enjoying the sun scree as much as I am. It's such a great find and I don't even feel guilty (although it is really quite expensive) since it's protecting my skin.

What brand is this Wonder Perfect Mascara? Sounds like a must try!

Between all these goodies and the La Mer you're trying it sounds like you're in sample heaven! Can't wait to hear your final thoughts on the La Mer when your sample runs out.

T.R. said on September 28, 2009 at 5:12 PM

The Wonder Perfect Mascara is by Clarion. I got it when I bought the sunscreen.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 28, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Thanks T.R., I'll definitely be checking this out. I really love Clarins, they make some fabulous products!

Marce said on September 28, 2009 at 8:26 PM

When salespeople actually give me samples (very rare) I'll try them out, no problem. And if I like the product, of course I'll buy it! That's the whole point about samples, right?

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM

It's rare or me too Marce, they're so stingy with them!


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!