ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Urban Decay FINALLY Brings Us A New Wand!


It seems that the people at Urban Decay have finally heard your pleas to improve the packaging of their Primer Potion, as they've started rolling out a new and improved angled wand that's supposed to alleviate the aggravation of having half your primer sitting in your tube, unreachable except via hacksaw. While I'll acknowledge that the angled applicator is a vast improvement over their original straight applicator, I still happen to think that there will be a good amount of product that will remain in the tube, waiting to be depotted. How do you feel about Urban Decay's "solution"?

 

32 comments:

Catherine said on May 4, 2009 at 1:37 AM

I suppose it's a bit of an improvement... but honestly, I can't understand why they can't just put it in a regular lipgloss tube or a squeeze bottle!

Didi said on May 4, 2009 at 1:37 AM

Hi Jen - I hope you're having a blast in Korea!

I was actually going to give UD's Primer Potion a try when I saw this new angled brush come out. Because of the unreacheable product issue, I've stubbornly stuck with Shadow Insurance (even though I hate the funky smell). When I run out, I will be giving this guy a shot!

AskMeWhats said on May 4, 2009 at 2:25 AM

this wand will help (a bit) but they could have thought of better packaging! I think they are sticking to the "genie in a bottle" theme, but they could have thought something else!!!

. said on May 4, 2009 at 7:44 AM

Lol, surely you could do that to your wand yourself. A pair of pliers and a little force...Sorted xD

Anonymous said on May 4, 2009 at 8:53 AM

i agree with catherine. why can't they just get rid of that potion bottle? it's not that good other than its name.

deb said on May 4, 2009 at 12:12 PM

I don't see this as much of a solution. I still think there will be a lot of product left in the tube as well. I will continue to use Too Faced Shadow Insurance. It works well, and I know I won't be needing to saw open the packaging later.

In regard to Didi's comment about TFSI having a smell, I have never noticed a smell from mine. Are you sure you didn't get a bad tube?

Anonymous said on May 4, 2009 at 1:06 PM

They should have revamped the whole packaging. This angled wand was probably their least expensive idea.

I still plan on cutting up the bottle! :)

Sunny

Anastasia said on May 4, 2009 at 5:16 PM

When I e-mailed them last year to express my woe over their inefficient packaging, I was assured that they were working on a new bottle and were testing new designs.

I don't think they'll stop at just re-designing the wand, given that the current bottle only allows access to less than 50% of the product.

Unknown said on May 5, 2009 at 2:14 PM

i've had the same frustrations as the other girls here when i found that i "ran out" of UDPP. as an alternative, i ended up using my smashbox photofinish primer, and haven't looked back since.

Nicolle said on May 5, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I am not crazy about the packaging. After using the first primer I felt there was more left but I could not get to it. I did not repurchase becasue of that & also felt that it didn't really do the job...by noon I had creases. Still looking for one that can do the job!

Anonymous said on May 7, 2009 at 3:07 PM

it's still a stupid idea in my opinion. i mean UD has a wonderful packaging for their creme eyeshadows...I just don't know why no one in their company has helped them make that connection with the primer potion as well. obviously they have a bunch of DUH! people working for them

Celine said on May 7, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I'd rather they have a squeeze tube, maybe make it the same shape or the shape of a genie bottle, but squeezable. I'll still be hacking open my bottle once I can no longer reach product with the wand.

BBQSauceBel said on May 7, 2009 at 10:51 PM

The poor packaging is the only thing holding me back from trying UDPP. Surely a tube is actually cheaper for them to house their product in? I would even be happier with a small jar and spatula like my Clarins Instant Smooth primer!

Anonymous said on May 7, 2009 at 11:54 PM

Urban Decay probably just figures it's cheaper to change the tip of the wand versus the bottle. Either way... I agree with you. Hacking off the end with a knife will be the answer to getting the product out of the tube. I was turned off by that though. It's un-sanitary and def. NOT safe.. So I use the Too faced shadow insurance now. It's around the same price, but comes in a tube that makes more sense..

I don't know if it's just me but, I had a bad experience with Urban Decay anyway... I'm VERY delicate with my eyes (makeup, or removal) and the UDPP made my eyelids red and itchy. I read up that dry skin and UDPP do not go hand in hand. I don't know if I'm allergic.. but it wouldn't even blend very well on my eyelids.If you've had that problem, I suggest the Too Faced, it has more of a moisture and soothes the eyelid. I've also tried the Coastal Scents poxy primer, it's a bit awkward to use at first but once you get it down, it has some great staying power and moisture! [:

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Catherine even the current packaging just changed to a bend/squeezable tube would be an improvement! That way you can squeeze the tube to get at every last little corner.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Didi I've just returned from the airport--so glad to be home at last!!!

I've held off on purchasing UDPP for the LONGEST time because of the packaging issue, but gave in when they released Sin.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Askmewhats the bottle design really is cute, but I'll take practical over cute when it causes issues this big!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM

LOL Jian you're so right! I'm assuming this was the cheapest solution they could come up with, but I'm not entirely satisfied with it.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:36 PM

I'm totally with you Jojoba! I'm thinking they're just too cheap to have to remanufacture and redesign the bottle =X

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Deb I may have to give the Too Faced a try, it seems to be quite the popular alternative to the UD.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM

My thoughts exactly Sunny! :)

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Ana I thought of you when I saw this redesign, remembering your e-mail. I was expecting something much better than this!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Atia does the Smashbox work well for your eyes? My eyelids are terribly oily and need a lot of help.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:39 PM

Nicolle I've only really used the Sin version of the UDPP, and it definitely does crease on me, although I'll admit it lasts better than anything else I've tried thus far.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:40 PM

LOL Anonymous!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Celine I'm loving the idea of a squeeze tube in the shape of a genie bottle--that's what I was envisioning the remake would be like as well. I'd never hack at a tube myself, because with my clumsiness and inability to take ten steps without hurting myself I just know I'd lose a finger LOL!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Faerie_bel I'm thinking they're just not ready to let go of the genie bottle concept, although I definitely think it's time!

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on May 8, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Tiffany thanks so much for the great comment! I haven't noticed any irritation with the UDPP, although I haven't really paid attention. I'm going to give it another try tomorrow and see if I notice any irritation since there are days my eyes are more irritated than others, and maybe this is the cause!

deb said on May 8, 2009 at 10:59 PM

If you decide to try Shadow Insurance, it is a little more liquid than UDPP. You only need a dot though to cover your eye area. Also, I shake my tube and give it a few squeezes before I dispense the product. Although I've never experienced it personally, some of the reviewers at MUA have said it can separate a little. I give it a shake just to be sure.

*Jen* said on May 9, 2009 at 12:44 AM

deb i'm to more liquidy, although i guess it'll take a little getting used to. it's going on my sephora list of things to check out!

KristineMarie said on September 28, 2009 at 5:14 PM

There is NO reason for them to change it as long as you are still BUYING it. Words don't get action. Action does. Personally, Ill save my half a gas tanks worth of money to buy a product I can actually use up, without having to break out weapons to do so.

You should do the same. If there was a dramatic decrease in overall sales for a short period of time, you would see a fundamental change, period.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on September 28, 2009 at 5:20 PM

KristinMarie this is the very reason that I've never spent my hard-earned money on UDPP. I have a few minis that I've gotten as samples, but I refuse to spend my money on a product that's this badly packaged.


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!