
Having just finished reading the entire Twilight saga (over the span of like two days LOL) I'm ridiculously Twilight-obsessed at the moment. I received the first book as a gift and put off reading it for months, convinced that I wouldn't like it--but oh how wrong i was! I now own the boxed set of hardcovers and I can't wait for New Moon to be released! Check out the movie poster!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)
now located at http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

24 comments:
I liked the saga -well, most of it-but, for an unknown reason I am not able to finish the last book! I still have the half of it left to read but I think I am scared of finishing the story, Lol!
No way...You liked Twilight? I've been rebelling against this book because well...er....It just looked really juvenile and I haven't finished a couple of other books. But seriously, if you liked it then I think I'm going to have to read it! lol.
Thepunkcat I know exactly how you feel. I tried to drag out the last book because I didn't want it to be over!
LOL Aleksis don't worry I felt the same way! I used to roll my eyes at all the Twilight-obsessed people, especially after I picked up a copy of the first book at Barnes and Noble and just flipped through a couple of pages. It didn't seem to be so well written and like you said, seemed a little juvenile. And no it's not a piece of brilliant literature, but it is really engrossing and a great story! The movie, on the other hand, wasn't nearly as good as the book.
Geez, I too finished the whole saga in about 2 days! The movie wasn't that great, but it was nice to see it on a big screen. Can't wait for New Moon!!!
Janine those were pretty much my sentiments too. I felt that the movie glossed over so many of the small details that made the book so good, but it was nice to see the characters portrayed on the big screen. I did happen to think the acting was pretty horrendous though =X.
N-no! Not you, too! ARGH! Meyer must be stopped!
Read the Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) books, please. They're a bit like Twilight, except not awful and not designed to make 13 year old girls dream about being subservient housewives to their superior husbands who shatter their self-esteem daily. They're also not filled with the Mormon propaganda which plagues the Twilight Saga.
I will concede that Eclipse was OK, and Breaking Dawn was actually good, maybe good enough to redeem the entire series. It's clear that the practice of writing the four books stopped Meyer from making the same mistakes too often (like massive overuse of the words beautiful, perfect, white, marble, chagrin - WE GET IT. HE'S PRETTY.) as the saga improves slowly. There are much better books out there in the genre, though.
I hope that the actress who plays Bella has improved by the second film, as well. All she did in the first was blink rapidly, with her mouth slightly open and shake her head from side to side repeatedly, in response to everything. It looked like she was having a seizure.
[/rant]
LOL Ana I will concede that the books aren't particularly well written, but it was nice to get away from the boring-ness of my reality for awhile! Plus these were the first books that I've picked up in AGES. Love me despite my bad taste!
Definitely going to read the Sookie Stackhouse books then! As I told the SO, while Twilight was entertaining, I did feel like my brain was rotting a little as I read.
And yes I'll agree with the vast improvement that Breaking Dawn was over the previous three books--I told SO that they must've gotten someone to rewrite the entire book for her because the style and just the caliber of the writing was sooo drastically different from the first book.
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought the girl who played Bella was quite possibly the worst actress I've ever seen. Her reaction to literally everything was to twitch her head--halfway through the movie I was just laughing everytime the camera turned to her. That's not to say I didn't like seeing the book on screen, since I did--I just wished that they'd actually hired people who could act.
Hotnessa! I can't wait! I was the same as you and then I heard the movie was coming out- so I read them real quick right before I saw it on opening night.
LOL Nessa I can just picture you scrambling to finish the mammoth volume that's Breaking Dawn before the movie launch!
Can you believe I just watched the movie two nights ago! I wanted to see what the hype was all about. But apparently it was meant for the book... I think.
I just read the whole Twilight saga a few months ago and I fell in love! The movie definitely was not as good as the book, but it's still nice to see the book come to life on the screen. Have you read Edward's version of Twilight yet? There's only a partial draft on Stephenie Meyer's site...but it's really good!! It's called Midnight Sun. I liked hearing things from Edward's perspective a lot better! :)
LOL at your brain rotting while reading twilight. i loved all of the books, and i'm looking forward to the movie (though i'm convinced, just like with twilight, that new moon won't be nearly as good as the book).
Nazia I only saw the movie recently too! They had it available on my flight to Korea so I watched it twice =P.
And yes you need to read the books!
Nancy, Nicole had told me about Edward's version, but I'm a little reluctant to read it only because it's not finished. When you get to the end does it feel like you're left hanging? Because then I'll be unhappy lol!
Nicole I love mindless fun! I just remembered you told me this was an easy read--I really should've read it sooner!
Oh oh! I love you even more now. I, too, managed to enjoy the books and the film for what they were - a trashy yarn good for a dose of escapism - but there are better things in the genre.
Sookie Stackhouse books are more grown-up, and the first book has been turned into a TV series called True Blood (the second season is being released soon) which is absolutely outstanding, although it's definitely more adult in terms of sex/violence, but not to silly horror extremes. It's rare to find something where the books AND the tv adapted version are both very good. It's definitely my favourite series at the moment, and I'm an avid sci-fi/fantasy reader.
Plus... the heartthrobs are grown-ups, not teenage boys! Woo! (And they're actually BAD, unlike sparkly Edward. I cracked up at the "This is the SKIN OF A KILLER Bella!" line. Sparkle sparkle.)
Ana, much to the chagrin of all my friends & acquaintances, I do happen to love me a bad movie. But reality can be exhausting, and we all need some escapism!
I've been seeing adds for True Blood everywhere as of late--I'm so upset that I don't have HBO, I'm dying to watch this now! I'm a big sci-fi fan myself--any suggestions for books to read, shows to watch? I'll admit that for awhile I was totally obsessed with Dr. Who and Torchwood =X.
And yes I would enjoy some grown up heartthrobs. Watching all these young people is starting to make me feel old LOL.
Aaha. E-mail me your address again babe, and I'll send you some True Blood goodness. I download all my TV shows over usenet, but that's a bit techy.
In terms of wonderful shows to watch... Firefly is an absolute must, if the idea of space cowboys by Joss Whedon (of Buffy/Angel fame) thrills you, you'll love it. It was tragically short being canceled after 14 episodes, but the fanbase was so strong they went on to win a massive movie deal and create Serenity, which was a huge hit. For a while it was #1 voted Sci-fi film on IMDB, beating Star Wars.
And it's not the usual silver-shiny-space-ships-and-aliens type sci-fi, it's very much about the people, and quite funny.
Stargate SG1 is also great, in my opinion. That's incredibly long, I think it's in the Guinness World Records book as the longest running sci-fi show at 10 seasons (Dr Who was 10 as well, but took so many breaks it doesn't count). SG1 is another sci-fi which isn't all shiny-ships and aliens, it's funny, and instead of flying through space etc they're checking out other worlds, which is always interesting.
In terms of sheer cinematic GENIUS, Battlestar Galactica (the remake, please) is one of the best shows to have ever been on TV. The soundtrack, the acting, the way it's filmed, is all genius. If you don't know the basic plot, BSG is about a war between humans and a race of AI robots they created (old hat, I know) called Cylons. The series begins as the cylons have managed to destroy all but about 32,000 people of the human race, and the survivors are aboard a fleet of ships led by their Battlestar (called Galactica) fleeing from the cylon forces.
It's brilliant, really dramatic and engaging. You need to watch about 6 episodes or so to become completely addicted, though.
Those would be my sci-fi gems, I tend to shy away from the traditional old-fashioned Star Trek type sci-fi in favour of more gritty stuff, as I enjoy the human aspect very much.
Joss Whedon's new show, Dollhouse, which has just finished season 1, is also definitely worth watching. It's just been renewed for 13 more episodes, so I'm pretty excited to see where that goes.
Ana this might be the longest ABS comment ever!
The SO has tried to show me, on numerous occasions, how to download movies, shows, etc. but it's all a little over my head. I swear I'm a 90-year-old old coot in a 25 year old body, crotchety grumpiness and all.
I LOVE Joss Whedon so Firefly sounds great--I need to look into that and Serenity when I have a free moment. Hopefully tomorrow.
Oooh I used to be obsessed with Stargate but then lost track. I definitely need to get back into that, it's great to watch.
I don't think I've ever watched Battlestar Galactica--yet another thing to add to my growing list of shows to check out!
And I've actually been dying to check out Dollhouse but haven't, afraid it would be crap. So now that it's received the Ana seal of approval, I'll most definitely be tuning in to watch this since it's on one of the few channels I have LOL. You're the best!
Haha. One of the great things about Firefly is that, because the season is so short, the DVD boxset is really cheap. Mine was about £10 and they're cheaper stateside I should think, so do some googling because it's DEFINITELY worth checking out. It has that Joss Whedon mark of having odd language in it sometimes, like Mal saying to the priest: "Shouldn't you be off bringing religiousity to the fuzziewuzzies or some such?" which I ADORE because it adds character.
Stargate's a pain to get ahold of because it's one of those classic sci-fi shows that is still pretty costly on DVD forever, like Star Trek is, so it might be worth setting your SO on the case of tracking it down for you online if he can, given how long it is.
BSG is 4 seasons long, and just finished (wonderful finale) so the DVDs for the first three seasons are out, and the 4th will be shortly.
Another alternative if you get into watching this stuff is those dvd rental sites, where you can get unlimited discs per month (and usually a month's free trial with the big ones) since they carry TV boxsets as well. I've done that to watch a lot of things that I didn't want to splurge out on.
Also, definitely worth a look if you've never watched it is The West Wing. A lot of people are put off saying "I don't really like politics", but it's one of the best shows ever to have been aired, tremendously well-written and gripping, and it's not so much about politics as it is about the lives of the people in the White House. That's another to add to your must-watch-at-some-point list.
You can guess what I spend a lot of my time doing, eh? =D
Ana cheap definitely works for me as I've been trying to keep my spending to a minimum.
I always see Stargate reruns on (I'm not sure what channel but I know I've seen it) so I might try to catch them--I'm sure I'll be obsessed in no time.
Maybe I'll give Netflix a try--I think they even have some kind of online rental thing, although I'll have to see if they have anything I'm interested in watching. Although it could be dangerous and I'll have to make an effort to ensure that I remain a productive, fully-functioning member of society. Knowing me I'll stop going to work and just sit in front of my computer day and night watching this stuff.
Yeah, that is a definite danger. I once watched all 10 seasons of Stargate SG1 in a week, that's over 220 episodes, roughly 150 hours of television. That sort of thing makes you go a bit mad!
Ana I watched the whole Boys Over Flowers series in a matter of two days--skipped work, didn't sleep, didn't eat. Just lay in bed staring at my monitor =X. When I reemerged to face reality, it felt so weird LOL!
Post a Comment