ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Stila The Precious Pearl Eye Shadow Palette Review & Swatches Plus 2 EOTD's

Stila The Precious Pearl Palette ($40)

What it is: Stila's The Precious Pearl Palette features six new silky smooth eyeshadow shades that are infused with genuine crushed pearl. A natural wonder, pearl minimizes the appearance of fine lines and leaves skin with a youthful, radiant glow. It also contains minerals and proteins which nourish the skin leaving it smooth and soft. These six must-have eyeshadow shades, that can be worn alone or together, create an endless number of brilliant looks. They are tucked inside a vintage-inspired compact with real mother-of-pearl detail.


The Packaging: In a word, stunning! It's also luxurious, chic, rather petite, and all in all just oh so unique and precious. Stila's Precious Pearl Palette is easily one of the most beautiful compacts that I own.


Click to Enlarge
Shades:

White Gold (soft creamy white with gold shimmer). Soft Pink (light pink with pink and white shimmer), Mid-tone Pink (neutral warm pink with pink shimmer), Deep Blue (dark blackish navy with blue shimmer), Green (intense mermaid green with blue and green shimmer), Gold (deep gold with yellow and gold shimmer)

The Shadows: Stila's pearl-infused shadows are silky smooth, highly pigmented, and blend like a dream thanks to their rich, dense, almost creamy consistency. I loved playing with the tester at Sephora because the shadows just felt so beautifully decadent on my fingertips.

So you'd think this would be a rave review, no? Well it is to some extent but I do have a few reservations about this palette.


For one thing, while there isn't much fallout from these shadows thanks to their silky/creamy nature, the little fallout that I do experience irritates my eyes just the tiniest bit--perhaps it's the crushed pearl? I've read about a few others having the same issue so I know it's not just my imagination! In addition, while this palette seems to look gorgeous on just about everybody to tests it out, on me I feel as though the colors tend to look a little muddy. I so want to love this though because there are so many aspects of it that I'm crazy about.

Here are two simple looks I created using my Precious Pearl Palette:



What are you thoughts on this one?

 

16 comments:

smilecusiluvu said on February 12, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I went to sephora and saw these and swatch it on my hand and they are goregous! they were soo pertty and viberant good buy =)

T.R. said on February 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM

STUNNING!!! I saw a review on youtube. It's on my must gets. Your pictures make it even more beautiful. I was skeptical about keeping it on my list but it's now definitely going into my basket. :O)

*Jen* said on February 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM

smilecuziluvu isn't the palette beautiful? it's definitely one of the prettiest things that's currently on display at sephora.

*Jen* said on February 12, 2009 at 3:18 PM

T.R. it really is such a beautiful palette--I'm determined to make it work for me! It photographs beautifully, and it also wears beautifully plus the colors are easy to work with since they have such a wonderful texture.

Anonymous said on February 12, 2009 at 8:13 PM

That stinks that your eyes get irritated. If something gets in my eyes and starts bothering, it basically all over for my eye makeup. My eyes get so watery. It doesn't take much either. This shadow palette would probably be a nightmare if I had fallout.

I like the green look on your. The other look looks mostly white. When I enlarged the pic, I can see you used pink, but it's not as visible as I would have imagined.

T.R. said on February 12, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Jen - after I posted I read the rest of your review....LOL. I don't think they look muddy on you at all. The pictures of your eyes look gorgeous. That was part of what sold me, especially the first light pink or white shimmer. I've been looking for a color like that.

I do understand the irritation. I wear contacts so I'll definitely have to be careful with that. :O)

BTW - LOVE LOVE the new Sensai colors. I think when my extra money comes in I might splurge on their liquid foundation. A lot of people like the MUFE HD foundation and the matte foundation. I've tried the matte and like it.

I think I'll go to saks or where ever and see if they'll give me sample to try for a week and compare it the MUFE matte foundation. :O)

Jen you just keep making my list longer and longer....LOL

Anonymous said on February 13, 2009 at 6:50 AM

Hmmm... the case is lovely, but the colours don't seem to grab me

*Jen* said on February 13, 2009 at 4:22 PM

Deb I've gotten pretty good at withstanding minor irritation and itchiness for the sake of my eye makeup, but it's tough! I'm always the twitchy, crazy-looking person you see out and about refusing to rub their eyes LOL!

I was a little disappointed by the pinks I must admit--the paler pink does indeed look rather white, and the darker one was a little muddy looking on me.

*Jen* said on February 13, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Awww thanks T.R. I really value your opinion on things like this! Well on pretty much everything actually <3.

The light color you see is a mix of the light pink and the white I think, although if I'm recalling correctly it's mostly the pink.

YAY I'm glad I'm not the only one really loving the new Sensai stuff--it's all I've thought about the past few days. Well when I've had a second to squeeze in a non-work-related though =X. I wasn't too crazy about the MUFE HD, but I know a lot of people who love it--I think it's definitely hit or miss depending on your skin. But I love my Sensai sooo much. Definitely try to get a small sample to play with--Nicole gave me one and that's how I fell in love with mine. Which is funny since I'd recommended it to her LOL!

*Jen* said on February 13, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Lilconstance they're not amazingly unique by any means. I have all of these colors in pressed pigment form in my MAC palette (or at least they're very very similar), but it's great that they come in one compact, beautiful palette.

Anonymous said on February 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM

aww, it sucks that it irritated your eyes! :( the palette itself is gorgeous, and i love your two looks! you're so talented... i would never be able to blend those colors so well, let alone pull them off.

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on February 13, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Nicole you so underestimate yourself I know you must be capable of creating some amazingly beautiful eye looks! And I'm sure this would look fabulous on you, since it seems to look amazing on just about everyone but me =X. I'm still crazy about the packaging though!

Anonymous said on February 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM

The colors look gorgeous and I lov your looks! It's too bad your eyes got irritated though.

Digital Angel said on February 14, 2009 at 4:05 PM

I've seen this palette many times in Korean cosmetic forum. Swatches look very pigmented. Did it irritate your eyes ? uh huh...
I am sorry that happened.
It looks very pretty on you though :)

*Jen* said on February 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM

Thanks so much Gio! It's such a pretty palette and really a lovely buy for almost everyone--I've been hearing nothing but positive things about it.

*Jen* said on February 15, 2009 at 8:33 PM

DA it irritated my eyes just a tiny bit--only right when I applied it due to the fallout. Thanks though! :)


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!