ABS has moved!
Please visit me at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com - look forward to seeing you there!
ABS has a new look and is
now located at
http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)

Handy Dandy Bobbi Brown Face Palette Review


Perfect for taking your makeup favorites on-the-go. This sleek, portable black case allows you to customize your own color kit of Lip Color, Lip Shimmer, Cream Blush Stick, or Foundation Stick. Holds up to six shades. A blank base label allows you to record your makeup shades. (Cosmetics sold separately.)


Palette closed-check out how slim it is!

I first discovered this palette on the Neiman Marcus site a few years back, decided I just had to have it for those makeup emergency days (when you're out, have something you need to go to and realize you have no makeup on you), and then forgot all about it--nothing new for me!

Fill-in-the-blank labels on the bottom.

But while shopping around the other day I rediscovered this petite little box of potential goodness and of course picked one up for myself that very same day. While it may seem silly to pay $15 for what's essentially an empty compact, the idea of being able to fill up a slim compact with all of the day's necessities really appeals to me, so for me it was worth it. Imagine having the day's foundation, blush, lipstick, and cream eyeshadow, all in one little package that can be discretely slipped into an purse, clutch, or pocket--you could probably even fit this into a decent-sized wallet!

Top Row: Etude House Pore Erasing Peach Base, Max Studio Pan Stick, Smashbox Tokidoki stick
Bottom Row: YSL Rouge Voluptes (scooped out of these samples)

I used the included spatula to scoop in the Etude House primer, then used a piece of dental floss to slice off pieces of the rest of the products to place in the compact. I then pressed down on the products with a napkin to achieve a nice, relatively smooth finish and voila, face in a compact! Now if I can just remember to carry this around with me, I know that I'll get tons of use out of it.


 

12 comments:

AskMeWhats said on February 24, 2009 at 1:00 AM

great one! thanks for posting about this :)

A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) said on February 24, 2009 at 10:26 AM

You're very welcome Askmewhats!

I had to stop by so many Bobbi Brown counters before I finally found this, and all the counters had no idea what I was talking about! I had to explain it to them multiple times, describe it, and even show it to them online~~even the girl at the counter at which I picked it up said "I didn't even know we made this product" LOL!

Anastasia said on February 24, 2009 at 11:02 AM

That is neat. I just tend to fill my make-up bag with whatever I've used and carry the full size ones.

If you had several usually daily looks, though, you could have two or three of these, for each one :O

*Jen* said on February 24, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Ana I usually like to carry the full sizes too, but some of my bags are so teeny tiny that there just isn't room for much in there other than a wallet! Although lately all my bags have tended to be on the larger side.

I love the idea of having multiples of these! I kinda wish I had something the shape of the hole that I could use to press shadows into it so that at least one slot could have eyeshadow in it, since I don't really use cream shadows.

Anonymous said on February 24, 2009 at 12:44 PM

jen, i love this so much! you chose some great products to fill your palette with! i agree that it's perfect for touch-ups on the go, and i know it would come in handy. i'm so convinced to get one now and just fill it with anything (i kept telling myself i needed BB products, but yours looks great with non-BB products). filling it with lip items might be difficult for me though, and no idea what foundation i'd use, lol.

Alyson @ The Gloss Menagerie said on February 24, 2009 at 12:53 PM

I love all of your reviews, which is why I have nominated you for a triple award!

http://gloss-menagerie.blogspot.com/2009/02/triple-triple-awards.html

Krasey Beauty said on February 24, 2009 at 1:40 PM

Hey Jen!

Ah, a girl after my own heart, a beauty obsessed New Yorker ;)

Fantastic blog, I just stumbled across your site but have fallen in love. Adding it to my list of blogs to follow ;)

Hope to catcha ya soon! And please stop by my site and tell me what you think :-D

http://kraseybeauty.blogspot.com/

*Jen* said on February 24, 2009 at 2:16 PM

Nicole you definitely need to find some sort of stick/solid foundation to put in this one, because that's a crucial element to having an on-the-go palette! I can do without most things, but foundation isn't one of them. I'd even recommend just using a piece of your CDP concealer stick, but I know it would break your heart to mess that up by cutting at it. Which is why I used the Max Factor--don't really care about messing that up LOL, plus it was the only stick foundation I had.

As for lipsticks, the YSL Rouge Voluptes are a little too hard to work properly, but most other lipsticks should press down nicely as all the other products did. If you don't want to cut up a new lipstick (who would?), a great option is to take those old lipsticks that you've entirely used up and to scoop out the product that's left in the plastic that you can't get at that would otherwise go to waste, and to use it to fill the wells.

Hope some of my suggestions were helpful!

*Jen* said on February 24, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Awww thank you so much Alyson! That's nomination number three---yay! <3

*Jen* said on February 24, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Krasey Beauty you're too sweet! I'm off to check off your blog as soon as I'm finished typing, and I'm sure that I'll love what I see.

Anonymous said on February 24, 2009 at 2:37 PM

Nice palette. I was looking at similar ones from Japonesque, but this one seems much slimmer. Thanks for sharing with us!

*Jen* said on February 24, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Deb I was checking out the Japonesque palettes sometime back because I was interested in filling them with lipsticks, but they just weren't as slim or sleek as I would've liked so I put them on a back-burner. I'm really loving the Bobbi Brown though, it's so portable!


Post a Comment

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and commenting! Your comment won't show up immediately as it must be moderated before it's published, but I promise to get to it ASAP. I appreciate each and every comment and promise to reply!

Thanks again and come back soon!