
I've been feeling as though I'm in a bit of a makeup rut lately. I'm just not feeling the crazy bright colors that I used to, and I find myself reaching for my MAC Smoke & Diamonds and NARS Night Clubbing waaay more often than I should be. I'm thinking the cold weather may have something to do with it-it's hard to feel bright and colorful when the weather is so cold and icy!
Here are two smoky eyes that I did recently:
Smoky Eye #1 was created by applying MAC Smoke & Diamonds as a base, then by smudging NARS Night Clubbing (very appropriate since this was a clubbing look) from the lower lashline upwards towards my crease. I topped it all off with YSL liquid liner, and a combo of KissMe Heroine Make Volume & Curl (to give my lashes that long-lasting lift and curl I was going for) and Max Factor Volume Couture (for a little more length and lots of volume). 
As for Smoky Eye #2, well to be honest I have no idea what I was wearing in terms of eyeshadow that day. That's what I get for not writing it down and just assuming that I'd remember! I do know that I was wearing my new Kanebo tubing mascara (the one I featured in Best of 2008 post) on my lashes though. 
And finally, I discovered a lipstick combination that creates almost the perfect shade of pink for me! The MAC lipstick in Lightly Ripe that I purchased from Cult of Cherry has just been sitting around in my lipstick drawer since then, virtually untouched, because I just haven't been loving the shade-there's nothing particularly wrong with it but it's just a little boring. So I decided to try layering it with YSL's Rouge Volupte in #8 Fetish Pink which is just a tad bright for my taste, and ended up with instant pink goodness!
It works out really well since I use the YSL as a base, which provides a sinfully delicious creamy consistency while the MAC on top helps to set everything and to keep it all in place.
ABS has a new look and is
now located at http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)
now located at http://abeautyfulsentiment.com -
please update your bookmarks! :)
FOTDS: Combat the Cold With a Little Smoke
Posted by A Beautyful Sentiment (*Jen*) on Sunday, January 18, 2009 at 1/18/2009 08:55:00 AM
Labels: FOTD

18 comments:
Jen how do you like YSL consistency for lips? I want their red one.
Your eyes look amazing. I'm still working on perfecting my smokey eye. I LOVE LOVE LOVE smokey eyes regardless of the colors used.
You're making me want to go and play in my MAC smokey eye holiday palette. :O) and also see about getting that Mac smoke and diamonds e/s. Like I need one more thing to add to my already LONG list of desires. :O)
I really like the smoky eyes on you.
Looks beautiful.
i love the lip color! Perfectly pink.
Most of time I see you with pink eyeshadow, but I love how you wear different eyeshadow sometimes especially smoky colors. And I definitely learned the idea from you that wearing several different mascara work pretty good!!
That lipstick you are wearing is one of my favorites of what you have. That's the one has pretty packaging with gold logo isn't it ?
Great Job Jen !!
LOL T.R. in my last comment to you I mentioned that I was having issues with my "l"'s and periods--well I popped those keys up and found tiny little beads under them! No wonder they weren't functioning properly.
The YSL Rouge Voluptes are deliciously creamy and I love them, but they cant be a bit tough to work with for some people because they are so creamy. If you're not careful the color can slide around a little and because of its shape, it's hard to create crisp contours around the edges of your lips. I hope that makes sense! But that can all be remedied with the aid of a lip brush.
I finally feel like I've got the whole smoky look at least somewhat down pat. I was never happy with my smoky eyes until recently--Smoke & Diamonds seems to have been the key!
Thank you Phyrra--I'm so happy to popped by today, I was just thinking of you randomly this morning.
Thanks so much Beef Jerky! It was such a random combination but I'm so glad I stumbled upon it.
Hey Digital Angel!
I'm definitely trying to branch away from the pinks so that I don't bore you all with the same looks all the time lol! Although I'll probably be going back to pinks/purples once the weather warms up a little and I'm feeling a little perkier.
The lippie is indeed the YSL one with the pretty gold packaging and mirror on top, blended with a MAC lipstick that I wasn't so crazy about it. I loved the result!
I love smokey eyes and these beautiful! Great job!
Lovely looks, Jen! Speaking of crazy colors, I got my issue of Allure for February, and there's a little blurb about that itty bitty Bobbi Brown palette. I couldn't believe what I read. She said she got inspiration for the colors from her "ugly kit". Her "ugly kit" is a palette of colors that she believes work well for photo shoots, but not for real life. She basically goes on to say that these colors should be used sparingly, and you're using the palette wrong if you use it up quickly. I was like, "What the heck?" The shadow pots are so tiny, how could you not use them fairly quickly? Also, I hate the fact that she used the word "ugly". I know that Bobbi Brown is very much about the neutral colors. Well, many neutrals look ugly on me! I can wear the blacks and greys, but browns just look awful. I don't know about you, but I need color. If that makes me "ugly" or overdone, then call me "ugly"! *steps off soapbox*
Thanks so much Gio! I guess a smoky eye rut isn't such a bad thing!
Deb it's rather appalling that a world-reknowned makeup artist would go so far as to say that bright colors are "ugly" and only work well for photo shoots! What happened to thinking that makeup is about enhacing your natural beauty? Like you said, neutrals just don't work so great on some people. Put me in a brown shadow and my eyes look bruised, muddy, and just bloodshot for some reason.
your smoky eyes are TDF! i'm going to have to check out this NARS shade next time i'm at sephora. i really love this look! your lashes look gorgeous, as well!
thank you so much for sharing this lipstick combination! this is the perfect shade of pink, i think! i've been constantly trying to find this shade, but it's never just right. i'm going to give this a try later and see if it looks the same on me, lol.
nicole i've only recently started to get the hang of the smoky eye! all my smoky eyes before were disastrous--i always looked like i'd been punched in the face!
so that nars shadows is literally over 6 years old =X. don't tell!! i know i should've thrown it away looooong ago but i never used it since it was just so dark and it's the only nars shadows i have so i just can't let go of it.
i'd love to hear how this lipstick combo works out for you! i've tried layering with the other rouge voluptes as well, and it works out beautifully-they make gorgeous blending bases.
gorgeous job, i really need to work on doing a smoky eye that doesn't make me look like i've been beaten up, lol.
Anoka the non-black eye smoky eye look is a very recent development for me! I'm still unsuccessful every now and again, but lately I've been having more luck with the smoky look, probably because I've been doing it so often.
wow love the smokey eye look on you! definetly great make up for a night out! =) and i love how you combine lipsticks because i do that too! A lot of times i find that i like my combinations better than any lipstick out there!
Thanks Giveaway Diva! You definitely need something that stands out when you're going out late at night--or else nobody'll even be able to see it thanks to the terrible lighting!
Post a Comment